“Loved the Grove Isle” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 113 Hotels in Miami
windlesham
“Loved the Grove Isle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2005

We arrived after an encounter of the Car Hire kind of nightmare, ourselves, our four children and our baby girl, not a small group and quite a handful.

From the minute we arrived the conceirge were fantastic, our rooms were upgraded, ours had a huge bed and children doubled up in the twin bedded adjoining room. Amelias cot was lovely, a real cot with bumper and clean linen blanket etc. The sheets were fabulous, the toiletries smelled divine and the coffee wonderful.

Although the Jacuzzi was out of order the swimming pool was immaculate and it was fun to be at eye level with the bay, pelicans in view all hours and some amazing lizards. I loved the pool side beds and sofa, complete with sunshades, altogether as good as the photos on the website,

THE SPA, this is heaven, our eleven year old had her first manicure and I had a hot rock pedicure, both of us were treated by Christine who was top class. The whole experience including the herbal teas in individual silk bags was bliss just what a mother of 5 children needs.

We had breakfast outside and enjoy a variety of frozen drinks.

We will be back thank you all the staff who made our 4 days relaxing and memorable.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Arlington TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2005

My husband and I stayed here for 4 days on Memorial Day weekend 2005. All the reviews online were beaming so I booked it. But, when we got there, it was very disappointing. The hotel itself was beautiful and the rooms were very tastefully appointed. However, the "charm" of being on a private island is no charm at all. We could have gotten the Trump hotel for cheaper and it was on South Beach!

There is NOTHING to do on this island. It is not really even an island. It is a high spot 150 yards off the coast and it borders the marina. It does have some spectacular views. But, the views do not change and I don't expect that we would be sitting there staring at the ocean the entire time. I thought at least there would be some beach or something but NOPE; they have a man-made area about 10' x 10' that is basically a sand box, right next to the pool, that is supposed to suffice. That is why you do not see any pictures of the "beach" for this hotel. There isn't any. There isn't even any snorkeling, diving, kayaking, etc. Nothing.

The only place to eat on the island is at Baleen. It has a nice ambience but I have had better food in the back alleys of Mexico. Disgusting. And way too expensive for the quality. I could have almost died by drinking their iced tea. After waiting nearly 20 minutes, long after my husband got something to drink, they brought me what was supposed to be (and probably used to be) tea. It was so many weeks old that it had cloudy, chunky pink algae in the glass. My husband thought they had made me an alcoholic drink or something with tomato juice and he took a big swig. He immediately starting gagging and choking while spitting it out. It was putrid and rancid. The manager came over, saw it and almost starting vomiting himself. So, they come back 10 minutes later with another glass of iced tea but, when they made it, they made it in the same container. There were small stringy bits of pink algae all in the glass. Can you imagine how we were feeling at this point?

We figured we would go ahead and take a cab into town to get something to eat there. It is $7 just to get off of the island and $7 to get back on. And the closest thing around is the Coco Walk. It is about 2 miles. Needless to say that getting around was going to be a real hassle especially since we couldn't see anything without a taxi and there was nothing to do on this island. So, the next morning we called around to get a rental car. After all, we came there to see South Beach, Miami, etc. Because it was Memorial Day, everyone was empty. Except for Hertz on US Hwy 1. I usually don't rent from them because they are higher than Enterprise. But, Enterprise only had 1 Focus left and they wanted $79.99 a day for it!!! Hertz gave us a Toyota Corolla (much better car) for .......get this......$29.99 a day! And, YES, they came and picked us up and dropped us off. For free. If you rent a car, get it from that location. Those people are wonderful!!! The best rate that the hotel could get us was a Focus from Enterprise at $50 a day. We figured we would go down to South Beach the next day. We had a blast. We even went all 38 miles down into the Everglades the day after that. People in Miami don't know how to drive but we were having a blast. If you are staying at Grove Isle, GET A RENTAL CAR!!!!! It is not close to anything.

I left my comb at home. So, having been spoiled by the Hilton and Hampton, I called down to the concierge to get a $1 comb. But, they were astounded that anyone would ask for such a thing! They acted so astonished and dumbfounded. They sent each other in every direction looking for a comb. Note: if a hotel is 4 or 5 stars, they should have a virtual convienence store on hand at all times. They didn't. I'm surprised they even knew what a comb was. I had someone sarcastically remark to me that he would go off the island and get me one if I "absolutely had to have one". Needless to say, my hair dried in frizz and I went and got my own comb later.

The bath products are nice. The shower and water temperature were excellent! The room is nice. Nothing is free except the coffee. They tempt you with $8 Godiva chocolates in a basket by the bed. The robes were great. Relaxing on the patio was awesome.

Most of the front desk help were rude, dumb and pretty. Mark, our butler, was exceptionally helpful, professional and polite. He is probably the one person at that hotel that stopped me from giving it 2 stars.

All in all, we won't be staying at this hotel again. Not because it is a dump, but because it's location is more of a drag than a thrill, because my health was threatened and because they fell way short on the small things that make a hotel 4 or 5 star quality. Besides, Miami is HUGE. Next time, we will be staying in North or South Beach so we can be where we really wanted to be in the first place: on the white sandy beach.

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2005

Recently, my boyfriend and I visited Grove Isle Resort and Spa. Although we arrived in the middle of tropical storm Arlene, we found the hotel and its employees (particularly Jason and Sebastian) to be excellent. The location is very quiet and tucked away from the busy South Beach scene; therefore, those seeking proximity to South Beach will need to be prepared to pay a $25-30 cab fare each way. Those with rental cars or their own means of transportion will also need to be prepared for the hotel's $20 daily parking fee. The hotel's tropical landscaping and location is gorgeous. There are rooms with excellent views of the Bay and there is a walking trail lined with palm trees and beautiful flowers. Most impressive is the pool area which overlooks the Bay. At the pool, one can swin, sunbathe or enjoy the hammocks overlooking the water. Inside of the hotel is a restaurant named Baleen, which offers mostly seafood at prices slightly cheaper than those found in South Beach. For food however, I recommend travelling 2-3 miles to the shops of Cocowalk, where there are several restaurants that offer delicious food at a fraction of the cost. We only incurred one problem at the hotel. One of our television channels had no sound; however, the problem was corrected immediately by the staff. Overall, an excellent place to plan a retreat!

• Stayed May 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2005

We spent 4 nights in April 2005 at the Grove Isle Inn in Coconut Grove (Miami), Florida. We loved it so much that we didn't want to leave! The setting is in Biscayne Bay, on a small, private island making it very secure and safe as well as beautiful. Our room was one of the best we have ever stayed in. Both the furnishing and the view were excellant. Even though it was only a five minute cab ride to the business district of Coconut Grove where there were plenty of restaurants, we ate every meal at the Grove Isle. The restaurant is romantic and beautiful with inside and outside seating, as well as serving delicious food. Also there is a great pool bar that serves lunch. The pool area could not have been more scenic. We used the fitness center everyday. It had good equipment and again, a good view to enjoy while working out. All members of the staff that we came in contact with were very courteous, helpful and friendly. Obviously, we can't say enough good about this place. We will go back to enjoy another peaceful stay at the Grove Isle.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2004

My Husband and I stayed at the Resort for a romantic getaway. What an excellent decision. This is a small resort that catered to our every need. The rooms are beautifully decorated with tile floors, poster beds and mosquito nets. Our room on the 5 floor had a large balcony that had a wonderful view of Biscayne Bay. During the evening we would sit on the and leave the glass balcony doors open to allow our room the breeze from the water. Grove Isle also has a walking path the circles around the island which is great for taking late night strolls after dining outside on the Baleen Patio. Both nights that we stayed we had dinner in Baleen. We enjoyed the al fresco seating outside which has spectacular views of the city lights. The food was execellent and the service was great. Our server made us feel as if we were the only ones there even though the restaurant was very busy. During the afternoons we laid together in the hammocks under the Palm trees and had frozen drinks brought to us by the Pool Bar. This was the best decision that we have made for a romantic getaway.

San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2004

We stayed here in June 2004 for my cousin's wedding which was at the same resort. I didn't think it was that special. The room and view was nice, but we were on the first floor right by the hotel entrance (perhaps b/c we arrived late). The pool was so crowded that they ran out of towels and didn't replenish them once for the two hours we were at the pool. Since it was so hot, we didn't really need towels anyway, but I would expect them to be available given that this is a so-called luxury resort. The service at the restaurant was horrible as well.

It was nice, but not all that it was hyped up to be.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2004

On a business trip, I decided to stay away from a
large chain and found the Grove Isle Resort. What
a nice little gem. First, the location is on an island
with a mixture of condos, but guarded with private
access.

The lobby is modestly small, but decorated in
a monkey motif, from prior ownership. Quite
airy and uplifting.

I stayed 2 evenings (July 18-19, 2004) and was
highly impressed with the room layout. A canopied
bed with mosquito netting, (came in handy, at
times) was complemented with a wonderful
sitting area and business desk / workplace.

Although it rained for a majority of my stay,
it added to the coziness of the entire place.
Off the beaten path from Miami, but close
enough to get there within 15 minutes, the
Grove Isle is a wonderful place to stay and
claim peace of mind.

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!