“At one time, this may have been a great hotel” 3 of 5 stars

The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Grove Isle Dr, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Miami
Long Island, NY
“At one time, this may have been a great hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

In my eyes, this was a hotel that was once very elegant but it seems to have been let go on some ways. There were some positives - they have a great shower, and the bed is comfortable - but in my eyes the room smelled musty and damp - not unbearable but not somewhere I would want to spend any extra time. I realize it is Fla but we stayed in 2 other hotels during our trip and did not have one ounce of damp smell. The brunch was ok (omelets were excellent-)but I do not feel it was worth the price and we were never offered coffee and I believe it was because there was a charge for it - not included in price fixed brunch)- maybe if it was a buffet. The service was ok, nothing exceptional. I found the front staff a bit off putting but nothing over the top and it did not affect our stay and I would not hold it against the hotel. My biggest complaint was the hidden fees. When I recerved the room there was no mention of a resort fee (which turned out to be $25) and to be honest no one ever told me what it included (at a previous hotel there was a 20 resort fee and it was very clear what was included (which was a lot) and it was told to me before I booked online). On top of that, when we pulled up it seemed the only way to park was valet...later I asked about parking and was told there was a 24.00 fee so I moved the car and parked in the free lot abot 500 feet away. I would have appreciated more if I was told of this option and fee when I pulled in. The hotel is on a unique piece of property - as if you are on your own island and there seemed to be nice walking paths and you could sit by the pool and face the water and see Miami which was lovely. I just feel for the locale - they really could do so much more to make it warm and friendly and really lovely. It felt to me like there was no effort to make those extra touches. And for the price (200 with the fees) I feel it is way overpriced. I am not sure I would go back unless they updated and were more honest and clear about their fees. As an example we stayed at another place with a 20 resort fee and that included parking, free rides to anywhere within the resort, all gratuities (except restaurant staff), free towels, water in the room, access to the gym, and probably other things I did not take advantage of) this hotel just seemed stuck in the past to me. I am not sure I would return even though it is an unusual location

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
parkland, florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We were told by the front desk manager Alex Cass that there would be no problem extending our stay an extra day if necessary. He told us this since we booked the hotel two months prior. When we did need to extend one day, he told us there would be no problem. Our ninety year old parents cancelled their other hotel reservations and we adjusted our plans for the weekend. The next morning Mr. Cass called me and said that he will allow us to stay the extra day but at the rack rate of 850 per night. He lied to us from the beginning, telling us that customers in the hotel always get priority. I spoke to the general manager whose name I was told was Eric Hyde. He said that our family including our 90 year old parents could either pay the 2500 dollars for the extra night for the three rooms we had or we had to get out of the hotel immediately. They also arranged for transportation to our son's graduation which came a half our late and we missed part of the ceremony. They promise the world and actually don't come through with anything. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
rd6535
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2009

Our room, 501, had the best views of SOBE, the Bay, and downtown Miami!! Our stay can only be described as sexy and amazing!! Def go here for romance with your special someone! Try out the special packages that they are currently running. I booked the "just for two" package that included breakfast in bed, champange and wine and cheese, and 50 credit towards their restaurant Baleen Miami. The restaurant food is good, not the best but def reserve a table "on the rocks." You'll see what I mean, its amazing!! The pool area is great with views of the bay and private cabanas with sofas and pillows. The pool changes colors at nights which was interesting. The room was very clean with a huuuuuuuuuge flat screen TV. Our balcony had french doors and was a decent size. You can not go wrong with this place!! Book a luxury bay front room. No need to go to the next room style.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

My wife and I have been visiting Grove Isle for the past five years.. especially for weekend getaways. Earlier on in 2004 thru 2008 this hotel was absolutely an Oasis (as stated in other reviews) staff was over the top, they remembered your name, took attention to the smallest details and dining at Baleen's was superb not only for meal but for the magnificent views of the bay. We just left hotel a few weeks and it was like Bazaro World struck Grove Isle... The staff was rude and looked down right miserable no smiles, no services and it was like checking into a Holiday Inn. The rooms seemed very old and tired and dining at the hotel was horrible the quality of food was awful but still expensive. We spoke to restaurant manager Brian, who treated us like dirt and when we complained about food he told us we didnt know about food quality. I'm sorry but I do know the difference between fresh and freezer burn..... My wife and I did find out the hotel was sold to another company and that they didnt seem as focused to individual guest satifisaction as previous owners and it showed. So save your money and visit Ritz Key Biscayne or Mandarin if you want great service with fantastic waterviews...

St. Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

We recently stayed at the Grove Isle Resort and Spa for the Sony Ericsson Open. The customer service from the valet/bell service personnel to the restaurant to the tennis facility was subpar - at best. The fact that not one of the three different bellmen standing around at our arrival couldn't greet us, open our door or offer to take our luggage was incredible. When someone did bother to unload our car, it took 30 minutes for the luggage to get to our room. There's no telling how long it had been since the tile floors had been cleaned. Our feet were literally black on the bottom from walking across the room to the bathroom. The bathroom cabinets hadn't been cleaned in some time either. The grey, dingy "white " towels and cheap, little braided rug in the bathroom didn't exactly exude luxury to us. They must also be rationing wash cloths because we could only get one each day. The wait/host staff as well as the tennis court staff were indifferent at best. In comparison to other similarly priced properties in Coconut Grove, we just didn't see the value and would not recommend it. The only thing this place has going for it is incredible views of the Bay.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Grove Isle is truly idyllic in it's beautiful design & amazing surroundings. Every room has a magnificent water view with lovely furnished balcony. The rooms are well appointed & very comfortable. Great design with warm tropic décor; very breezy & romantic. This place is the definition of peace, tranquility & relaxation. It is very set apart from the rest of the world. About 25 min drive to south beach & certainly not within walking distance of any stores...there's a pretty decent restaraunt with astounding water views & great design. The food was mediocre but the surroundings are ideal. Great ambiance at night, soft music is always heard in the distane - in the evening, the island is well lit with torches & bonfires. The pool scene was wonderful - large heated pool with tiki hut bar & great surrounding foliage. Great lounge furniture, benches & chezes positioned all over the island for relaxing & taking in the breathtaking views. The food & drinks are over priced, but the room price seemed reasonable for how exquisite the rooms are. $7.50 for a budwiser, $3.50 for bland coffee, you get a bit nickled and domed when it comes to food & drink. Regardless, this is a stunning place to stay, perfect for a wedding, romance, relaxation, or really any reason to get away.

Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2009

My husband and I were married at the Grove Isle in June 2008. We absolutely loved it. It was shear paradise there. The staff is excellent, property is immaculate, great place. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was great, private with fabulous views. Family stayed as well and they were extremely pleased with their rooms.

The food at Baleen was excellent. Staff was more than accommodating with special menu requests. The staff really goes above and beyond to make your stay as perfect and comfortable as possible.

Love love love the Grove Isle, will come back again and again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!