“Good Couples Retreat” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 129 hotels in Miami
Saint Cloud, Florida
“Good Couples Retreat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Great secluded place for couples. The resort sits on its own private island with private condos. Its gated with valet only parking. typically we get there and don't even want the car until leave. There is an excellent restaurant on site with room service. The bay view rooms are awesome. We stay on the lower rooms with our own private patio overlooking the water!! Nice pool, sunning beach and bar all overlooking the bay! Nights are great to visit the bad and take your drinks outside and sit by the fire and enjoy the views and passing boats. There is a spa and gym as well. The rooms are very nicely renovated!

Room Tip: I haven't had a room with a bad view yet. I do prefer the lower level with the private patios o...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Very bad experience,pool was so dirty no one was around to assist. No towel in the pool. The rooms the a/c didn't work. We were in this hotel for five nights I have to change the room 3 times the a/c in the rooms were not working

Room Tip: Do not wast your time going this hotel
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Ellicott City, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My daughter and I booked a spur of the moment trip to this hotel and we enjoyed our stay with a few exceptions. It is on a private island, you must go through security each time you enter, and it does not have beach access, only a very warm pool. The views were amazing of the bay and sunset. They have an abundance of outside sitting areas and lounge chairs. The restaurant was okay but your only choice on the island. Nothing else is within walking distance and the only parking is valet at $24/day. If you just want to sit by the pool and relax with great views and a comfy bed, this is the place for you. One warning, we were first put in a room on the 5th floor and noticed it was very warm. Better views but awfully hot. It was late at night so we set the AC down to 60 and tried to sleep. Woke up numerous times to a room temp of 84. Complained the next day and they said they would fix it, but it wasn't fixed. They did move us to the 3rd floor and the room was perfect and cool and they comped us some resort fees. Later they told me they have problems with the 5th floor rooms due to lack of insulation. Overall they handled the situation very well but it was still annoying to have such a hot room in the first place.

Room Tip: Avoid the 5th floor in the summer - AC doesn't compensate for lack of insulation. Very hot rooms...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Hialeah, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The staff excellent .Romantic. The restaurant spectacular.Definitely we stay again.The room very clean and comfortable.The service was excellent ,the area is wonderful to relax .The food so good and the plate presentation was spectacular.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We stayed at the Grove Isle hotel one night prior to departing on a cruise. The staff were welcoming, the room spacious and the grounds lovely. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant and were pleased with both meals. We would definitely stay again, the value, location and staff were excellent.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Hidden away from the busy South Beach crowds is The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa in Coconut Grove. It was a beautiful, romantic property and the staff was attentive to our every need. The panoramic views of the Biscayne Bay were breath taking in the morning and evenings. We dreamed of buying one of the estates on the bay and even bought a lotto ticket just in case our luck could make that dream possible! From the gorgeous lobby to the romantic room we were impressed by it all. We stopped into the restaurant/bar for a late drink and met Alphonso, the BEST bartender ever! He was a true mixologist and service super star! He made our stay even more memorable with his creative concoctions and pleasant personality. The property had everything we needed and will stay here the next time we're in Miami!

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a balcony view of the bay so you can sit out and watch the sun rise a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I booked & paid for "Grand Luxury Bayfront suite" (as view of water was of utmost importance) (From an online Company available thru my work) I called Hotel to confirm. Then on the day of a arrival I called Hotel again to confirm. Was told "yes, you have a room with 2 double beds" I told the woman No I was confirmed for the Grand Luxury. She said "the Hotel is full" I said I would call the Company with whom I booked, she said she would do the same. I called the company which called the Hotel supervisor & was confirmed for my room. Kudos to Company!! WHEW! Already getting a bad feeling. I arrived & was put in a suite with a poor view ( a huge tree blocks view of 1 window) ....Back to front desk. Received a room with a good view. GEEZE what a mess just to get started. Point is: they tried to do a room switch. Not cool. Now the Pros & Cons....
PROS
The staff are VERY nice & helpful from the valets to housekeepers to the front desk.( I have found a smile & being friendly goes a long way!)
Views are nice.
CONS
My room was HOT. Thermostat was set @ 60 but room stayed @ high 70's. There is one vent that does not even reach the bed area. I had to close the drapes just to tolerate the room. So then no view. I did report, but was told it was that way due to temp & humidity. Better @ night.
I think the rooms were nice @ one time.... but now they are just tired & worn ( & looks gritty) May have been clean...but just does not look it. Don't expect the "romantic 4-poster bed" it's just a bare bed. No sheers on the 4-poster as described on site. Not even a decorative pillow.
There was no mini-bar.
I didn't dare use the bidet. ( couldn't anyway... there was very low water pressure) Bathroom HOT!! Had to keep lights dimmed just to tolerate being in there.
Ice Machine -- looked everywhere...finally was shown where it was (in a hidden room no sign on door) Only one for the Hotel I was told. Then didn't have an ice bucket. Finally got one but no lid. (asked again the next day..same thing no lid) Needless to say ice melts quickly esp with temp of room.
Pool area is dirty. OMG Afraid I was out there 2 mornings (9ish) before they started cleaning.
( so no towels that early either)
There are not portable umbrellas for the chaises. The stands are there...So you are just in the sun.

I did read all the reviews before I booked regarding the possible closure @ end of year....
I suppose the main issue is that they "seem" to be just getting by. Not fixing anything....just maintaining till they close. So.... very sad for those of us who visit till they close.
I was extremely saddened by my visit. I just moved to the state. So far have stayed @ Waldorf in Key West, Ritz in South Beach, B-Ocean in Fort Lauderdale ( I do admit I got fabulous deals for the 3) but point is I only paid $20-$60 more for those hotels than Grove Isle Hotel. All I could think about is I could have been in a "nice" hotel on one of my very rare weekends off.
And lastly. I bought Restaurant.com coupons for my stay. Was so looking forward to the Sunday brunch. But not honored.No no brunch for me. Was told could only use @ night. Now it is the Restaurant's responsibility to list their exclusions. (All they listed was the amount you had to spend to be able to use the Coupon) So I used 1 for dinner. Returned the other.
Note: Be careful if you are asked if you want sparkling water...there is a 9.97 charge for it.
And yes it is $24.00 for parking. I wouldn't have minded paying that if the Hotel wasn't such a disappointment.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!