“Lovely hotel, but not much to do.” 4 of 5 stars

The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Grove Isle Dr, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #61 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Northern New Jersey
“Lovely hotel, but not much to do.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

It's very hard for me to figure out how to rate this hotel. I was lingering between "average" and "very good" The reason is because unless you leave the area, there's really nothing to do on the island. So I'll give you the good and the bad:

The Good:
-The area is very relaxing and quiet. The hotel is on a (very) small island (possibly manmade???) near Coconut Grove. The island has 3 large condo buildings, one hotel and a restaurant. That's it. When we were here, there was pretty much no one in the hotel. I think we saw about thirty people in total the whole time we were here, and most were either workers or probably lived in the condos. Though I guess it is off-season.
-Awesome view of Biscayne Bay. If you do come here, pay extra for the Bayfront rooms and try to get on the fourth or fifth floor. The breeze coming off the bay is wonderful and really cools things down to a reasonable temp. The weather was extremely hot and humid here, and it was a nice break to come back to the breezes on the island.
-The rooms (at least the one we had) are very nice. I read some other reviews that complained the building was outdated, and there are some areas that could use a little help - like new cushions on the loungers by the pool, some paint was chipped in some areas, small things like that, but the actual room I stayed in was beautiful. A bed, and full couch in the room, a double shower head, all granite counters,.etc. Very pretty.
-The spa. The spa is really nice and my husband and I were both pleased with our massages. With the massage came the use of the steam room and whirlpool.

The bad:
-You can walk around the whole small "island" in about an hour. There's one (very expensive)restaurant, with a full bar a small tiki hut bar where you can get some snacks. One decent size pool, a spa, hotel and condos. I didn't get a rental car, because I assumed I could go swimming at the beach while I was here. BUT there is no beach. Within the first day we were here, we were already bored and called up to rent a car. Funny thing is, I was in South Beach for work and moved to this hotel because I thought it was a little cheaper than hotels in South Beach, and I didn't really understand how far everything was. Nothing is within walking distance. We did take a 25 minute walk to Coconut Grove, but in the heat, it was brutal. And all there was to do was shop. By the second day I rented a car. Now with the car, payment for parking ($24) and the extra "resort fee" they charge ($25 a day), I could have stayed in South Beach for cheaper.
-The cost (see above) plus the bar not only adds the gratuity to the bill, but all a service charge. So for my $87 bill, $36 oif it was gratuity and service charge. The parking fee is $24 a night.
All being said, if you can get over all the extra charges and have a car, it is a night place to stay and relax.
Tips - Make sure you rent a car.

Room Tip: Get a bayfront room on the 4th or 5th floor
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Deerfield, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were taking our daughter to college and wanted something not to far away. We did the Grove Isle Perfect Escape Package and had a wonderful experience. We also had a massage and found that to be very relaxing. The grounds are beautiful and every night they had a fire in one of the fire pits. Our room was right on the water and had a fabulous view. Loved staying here even though its not cheap but well worth the price for off season.

Perry, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had a wonderful one night stay at this lovely hotel. Front desk and valet parking staff were over the top in accommodating our needs. We walked the perimeter of the island, swam in the pool and enjoyed our lovely room in the short time we were there. Went to dinner at a trendy area about 6 minutes away. The restaurant was way above our budget so we headed out for Greek food which ended up being wonderful.

Media, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

Loved this beautiful hotel and spa on Grove Isle. Our room was nicely decorated and was very large. From the room we had a gorgeous view of the bay. Quiet and romantic.
We ate at the restaurant for dinner and had lunch at the pool. The food was very good and service was also good. They do add a 20 percent gratuity so make sure you are aware of this and it is pricey.
The pool was very nice and the adults only area was marked and allowed us to be apart from some families with small children.
I have to say the only negative thing about the hotel is the parking fee of 24 dollars a day and then the tipping to get in and out of the lot really adds up. Yet it is worth it because of the unusual location.

• Stayed August 2013
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I was at the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa for 3 nights. We booked the Florida residents special which to this day, their website says includes a complimentary bottle of wine, even though “they don’t do that anymore.”

Elevators are very slow and hot as a sauna in the Summer.
I e-mailed them prior to posting my review on TripAdvisor to give them a chance to excuse themselves yet again. I completed the survey we received via e-mail from them. Never heard back. Speed is not their strength. For the most part our stay was enjoyable and relaxing. Had it not been for repeated terrible service in the pool bar, our stay may have been exceptional. Repeated bad service meaning 3 or 4 times. Perhaps, there is no motivation to provide good service if they know that 20% gratuity is automatically added to the bills.

In our survey we did mention the great service we received in the restaurant, Gibraltar, on Sunday night (Aug 11). Kevin provided such a superior experience that it was the opposite end of the spectrum from the pool bar team. We ordered drinks upon arrival, and on the first try, two drinks were wrong. The one correct drink was a glass of wine. On the second attempt, another drink was correct but one was still not. I opted to have a glass of water and forget about the arrival cocktail. How nice would it have been to enjoy a cool drink just after arrival? Little did I know how much I was going t need it. In fact, we had a coupon for a free drink we didn't use because of this experience.

We saw a pool bar team member chop garnishes and retrieve a towel from the used pool towel bin to wipe his hands "clean". On a Sunday we went to the pool at 5:00 PM and were told we could not have a towel to lounge by the pool and swim because they were out. They were not really out of towels. It is just that all the used towels were left on lounge chairs after people left so if you wanted to use the pool, you would have to know to bring a towel from your room and clean an area yourself to use.

I did become fed up with the consistent bad service at the pool bar. I did report the towel incident to Rodolfo (acting manager) who was very professional. He indicated that there was no excuse for that experience and sent a bottle of champagne to the room. Not only did he send the bottle up with a cheese plate but he came up himself to once more apologize. Bravo!

We were travelling with two small dogs. Upon arrival, we immediately were looking for a patch of grass to allow the dogs to relieve themselves. Fortunately, we had bags with us to pick up after them because none were within sight, nor was there a trash receptacle to dispose of the bag. One of the valet men was kind enough to take it from us. It may be worth considering a receptacle and bags so we don't leave another valet guy "holding the bag". I cannot imagine what happens when guests arrive unprepared with big dogs.
Ice is in high demand in the hot summer. Don’t expect to see much of it here. Every day I requested ice and sometimes I had to place multiple calls before the icemancometh.
I sent an e-mail and filled out their online survey and look forward to a return e-mail from Judith Garcia (GM) or somebody on her team. I doubt I will hear back.

Incidentally, the welcome letter signed by Judith Garcia, found in the room, has a grammatical error in the first paragraph but I realize that can happen to anyone.

Room Tip: If you book the Florida special, take a snap shot of what you are promised because once you arrive...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Reminded me of the nicer properties when I was a child in the early eighties. Not much for kids and some "adults only" signs wherever you roam. With that in mind it's also a very serene place. The landscaping is lush, like the rest of Coconut Grove.
The service is slow but sure; as they are usually short staffed and sometimes you have to call twice. Beware of 18% tips for eats, delivery charges for room service, and $24 daily parking.
It's on an island and is a visually stunning place. If you like a quiet, upscale, lushy place you will do fine here.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Beautiful resort location and hotel. Nice staff. American Breakfast for two had tips automatically included and ran over 50 dollars no alcohol.

Be aware that the resort charges an additional 25 dollars a day just for booking with Orbitz. This is on top of all other charges and automatic tipping.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!