“Nice place, but hidden charges” 3 of 5 stars

The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Grove Isle Dr, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #72 of 130 hotels in Miami
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Nice place, but hidden charges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Beautiful resort location and hotel. Nice staff. American Breakfast for two had tips automatically included and ran over 50 dollars no alcohol.

Be aware that the resort charges an additional 25 dollars a day just for booking with Orbitz. This is on top of all other charges and automatic tipping.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

The location is glamorous and beautiful. The lobby, restaurant and spa beautiful.

Customer Service was brutal. No one seemed to know what they were doing, and always blaming someone else for the bad service. The restaurants food was amazing, but be prepared to wait along time for it.

The hotel itself is run down and dirty. The pool and hot tub were dirty. The cabanas were filled with bug cacoons and nobody cleaned them, food and towels everywhere. The hot tub doesn't look like its worked for a long time.

This place was expensive and did not live up to expectations. It sad because the hotel has such great potential.

• Stayed July 2013
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
We appreciate our guests taking the time to share their experiences both with us and other travelers on TripAdvisors. com. We are committed to consistently providing genuine service. I am deeply concerned about your experience with us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly to further discuss.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had to visit Miami to attend a funeral; it was my first time there and I thought staying on an 'island' would be fun. My iPad directed me to the location perfectly although there were some surprises not explained on the website:

1. There are condo bldgs on the island as well as the hotel and there is a security gate. One has to go through this with every entrance/exit. Once you realize you can just hold up the door key and they let you in, it's not too bad but still, it was unexpected.

2. Valet parking (at $24/day) is the ONLY option. I had no idea. I had to rent a car to get to/from the airport, church, reception location, and other family meeting places and since parking fees were not mentioned on the website anywhere, I just assumed there was free parking available. That fee (plus tips every time you want your car) really increases the daily pricing.

3. Had to order ice from the front desk - which means more tipping - since there aren't any ice/vending rooms on any floors. Or ice buckets in the room, either. And others have already written about no mini-fridge to even keep snacks or cold water - a real minus considering much of this are standard amenities everywhere in the U.S. now.

4. Not enough multi-plug electrical outlets. The table where one would setup a laptop had one 2-outlet plug and the lamp for the table took up one of those outlets. So the laptop took up the other and my cell phone had to be plugged in between the beds (which only had one 2-outlet plug as well and the clock radio took up one of those) and the iPad had to be plugged in yet another location in the room. Hate to split everything up like that b/c it increases the chances of leaving a device and/or charger behind.

In fact, I ironed one blouse that I then hung up in the closet and that, I did forget about and leave behind. I called the 800# of the hotel the first time and the phone rang so many times the 800 service came on with the standard msg about the party not being available and to try again later. This is a hotel front desk, people; I don't think not answering the phone should be an option! I called back, and someone did answer. He put me on hold to check in lost & found; he did not find my blouse. Said he was going to check with housekeeping and another lost & found area and call me right back. Never did; I called again and no one has seen the blouse. Quite amazing and not good on a trust scale. Housekeeping would have found it when they put the ironing board back in the closest and hung up a new robe for the next guest. I did notice there is a safe in the closet.

SW Air lost my bag for about 18 hrs so I had nothing the first night. I continued to follow up the next morning (and was given different estimated delivery times on every call) about its location but finally, the bag was delivered to the hotel around 11:30am (the funeral service was at 1pm and I had to shower, dress and get to the church). The front desk said someone would bring it up to me but after waiting 10 min., I went down and got it myself. Even though I had called 3 times that morning about expecting the delivery, the sense of urgency hadn't quite penetrated.

I will say the woman on the desk the night I arrived (7/22/2013), and needed directions to the closest CVS drugstore so I could get a toothbrush and contact solution for the first night with no bag, was very helpful printing maps and giving me a drink coupon for a toddy at the bar. By the time I had recovered from the shock of valet only parking and finished the late evening shopping, I was ready for a margarita and to retire; it was very nice to be comp'd.

But overall, between the extra fees, lack of room amenities, and having something left behind in the room actually disappear means if we ever return for a vacation here, I will be looking for a different venue.

Room Tip: 4th floor seemed fine. A/C worked; never saw any bugs or cockroaches that other reviewers mentioned...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing feedback about your recent stay with us on tripadvisor. com. I am sorry to hear of the motives that brought you to our destination, So please accept our most sincere apologies for the inconsistent service you have received during your stay with us.

We are committed to consistently provide a positively unique experience to each guest that visits our hotel. Our property is boutique style and we do our very best to provide that atmosphere. We try very much to stay competitive and fair with our overall pricing. I have addressed the appropriate parties to ensure that all reservation costs are duly posted on our brand site.

If your plans ever bring you to the South Florida area again, I would love the opportunity to make it up to you. Please feel free to reach out to me directly at any time.

Kindest Regards,
Keystone Heights, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was there for a short getaway and I had a great time! The facility is beautiful wiith but tropical gardens and great views. I would walk each morning along the marina and winding path along the waterway. I had dinner with friends in the restaurant and the food, service and atmosphere was five star. I enjoyed the spa and i can't wait to go back. Every employee I encountered was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for the wonderful remarks. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to your repeat stay with us. Please feel free to reach out to me directly upon your next visit.

Have a great week!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came here for a weekend getaway. We both were impressed with the location, ambiance and quality of service right here in our backyards. We both are residents of Miami for over 30 years and never knew thi place existed. He works in downtown Miami and have visited the area with no clue that this place existed. From the moment we stepped on to the property, we were greeted by Victor and an older hispanic gentleman who treated us like royalty. The front desk staff were great. The room was nice for the price, I loved the way that you can adjust the lighting. The bathroom had a bidette for the ladies. We had a bayfront view room and it was nice to look out to the bay. We couldn't see the bay too well due to the palm trees blocking it but when you go out onto the balcony, the view was better.WWe had a fabulous time in our room. The next day we went to the reataurant for breakfast and we had a healthy portion. The food was great and fresh. We both had the American dish with eggs, sausage, bacon, toast the works. Unfortunately we only stayed one night. During our stay, it felt like we were on a tropical island out of the country. The stay was well worth it. Just to let you know, I read the other reviews and was very hesitant about coming here, but I'm glad that I had a fabulous experience. I will definitely come back again!

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for the wonderful remarks, and we are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and we looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Please do feel free to call me directly on your next visit.

Kindest Regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

A very restful, serene atmosphere. The grounds have lots of vegetation & gives a somewhat secluded feel. The views are wonderful. It's great because you can get away from the hustle & bustle of the city...yet your within easy access to it too. There's plenty of really nice restaurants & shops in either Coconut Grove or Brickell (all of a 5 min drive). Downtown Miami is roughly a 10 min drive w/ easy travel. The restaurant at this resort was superb. Room service was perfect. The room was very clean & comfortable. Beds & pillows are fab. 3rd floor Bay view, very spacious. The staff was very friendly & helpful. The seating areas dotted around the grounds are just great. I recommend & would stay again. Did not use the Spa here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful remarks. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your welcoming you back soon. Please reach out to me on your next visit.

Thank you from our entire team and the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.
Southern Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were in Miami for a wedding and stayed at the Grove Isle Hotel. Service was beyond compare and extremely friendly. We asked for a mini fridge for our room and honest to mergatroid it was delivered to our room in 2 minutes!!!! We were amazed. The building could use a little TLC and touch ups. The elevator was very dark on the first floor and didn't always stop level with the floor (nerve wracking). Pricey, but the solitude and exclusive location made it worthwhile. Great views and breezes.

Room Tip: Anything on 5th floor is very hot. Go for a lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share with us such wonderful feedback. We are committed to deliver genuine customer service and help create memorable moments. We will continue to work on improving our standards and our overall appearance.

We look forward to pampering you on your next visit to Miami. Thanks again!

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!