“Serenity” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Grove Isle Dr, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #66 of 129 hotels in Miami
“Serenity”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

A very restful, serene atmosphere. The grounds have lots of vegetation & gives a somewhat secluded feel. The views are wonderful. It's great because you can get away from the hustle & bustle of the city...yet your within easy access to it too. There's plenty of really nice restaurants & shops in either Coconut Grove or Brickell (all of a 5 min drive). Downtown Miami is roughly a 10 min drive w/ easy travel. The restaurant at this resort was superb. Room service was perfect. The room was very clean & comfortable. Beds & pillows are fab. 3rd floor Bay view, very spacious. The staff was very friendly & helpful. The seating areas dotted around the grounds are just great. I recommend & would stay again. Did not use the Spa here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful remarks. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and look forward to your welcoming you back soon. Please reach out to me on your next visit.

Thank you from our entire team and the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Southern Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

We were in Miami for a wedding and stayed at the Grove Isle Hotel. Service was beyond compare and extremely friendly. We asked for a mini fridge for our room and honest to mergatroid it was delivered to our room in 2 minutes!!!! We were amazed. The building could use a little TLC and touch ups. The elevator was very dark on the first floor and didn't always stop level with the floor (nerve wracking). Pricey, but the solitude and exclusive location made it worthwhile. Great views and breezes.

Room Tip: Anything on 5th floor is very hot. Go for a lower floor.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share with us such wonderful feedback. We are committed to deliver genuine customer service and help create memorable moments. We will continue to work on improving our standards and our overall appearance.

We look forward to pampering you on your next visit to Miami. Thanks again!
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The island itself was gorgeous with great views of the bay. The rooms were very large with large private balconies. The hotel and the room were decorated well, however the furnishings were very uncomfortable. The bed was stiff and the pillows were like sleeping on bricks. There was no mini bar in the room although there was supposed to be. The staff seemed friendly enough, however I would've liked if they offered a bell service so I didn't have to take my own bags to and from the room. Although that may sound a bit spoiled, it's something to be expected from a 4 star hotel. Overall I give this hotel 4 stars simply for the breathtaking views.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not up to your standards. Your feedback is vital for us to address our shortfalls as well as perfecting our service going forward. I do hope that you return in the future and give us the opportunity to impress you with the service and regain your confidence in the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.
Orlando, Florida, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was between very good and average, but because the views from everywhere on the property were so beautiful, I had to stay with very good. The rooms are large and comfortable, the restaurants both outside and inside is lovely with fabulous food, but the pool and hot tub looked a bit dirty so I didn't swim. I also was never offered any pool towels or service at the pool except of dining. Also, when checking in, no one showed us around so I figured there would be resort literature in the room, but there wasn't any. So we just stumbled around until we found our way.

My biggest objection to why I would not return is the added costs to everything ... parking, resort fees, refrigerator,high taxes, and they actually add the sales tax to the 20% gratuity fee on the restaurant bills! they said they could do this because they are a resort and not a hotel. I never even used the spa or pool! I would say that if money is no object and you want a quiet, peaceful, pretty resort on a small island a short drive from bustling Miami, this could be your spot.

Room Tip: All rooms have a water view but I'm told the corner ones are larger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansdowne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Agree with other reviewer that rooms lacked cleanliness and the staff didn't turn down the rooms daily. Our room was infested with HUGE roaches, the shower curtain was mildewed, we were never given enough towels or washcloths and the rooms are NOT equipped with a mini bar and frig like the website and the welcome book in the room states. When I asked the manager about the frig he said the fridges were removed "a long time ago"...then Mr. Manager...you need to update your website and welcome books accordingly. The valves in the shower were reversed so when you turn on cold water you actually get scorching hot water that burns your skin. Really....

Although the portions of food are worth the resort price in the restaurant...the service is slow. We requested a roll away bed (which I had to request twice) and it was delivered around 11pm at night. Finally, I don't recommend renting a car unless you need to go offsite/downtown. Beware, there is nowhere nearby to eat off-resort but a cab can get you there for a lot less than renting a car and paying for valet service. A bridesmaid's room had a major leak in the ceiling of the bathroom which ran into the light fixture...potential fire hazard. They found her another room but the for price we paid routine building maintenance was clearly lacking. We attended a wedding as well which made the stay worth the headaches. If you wish to host a wedding at this venue, I'd give the wedding staff a decent rating for their flexibility and attentiveness to the wedding party and guests. Otherwise, not worth the hype.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper levels. The lower levels are subject to roaches, lizards and foot traff...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked. Your feedback is vital for us to address our shortfalls as well as perfecting our service going forward. I do hope that you return in the future and give us the opportunity to impress you with the service and regain your confidence in the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here because we were aattending hotel festivities and a wedding. The rooms are ok and reflect that old spanish charm in the flooring, balcony, and restrooms- complete with a refreshing bidet. Unfortunately, our family needed to add a room as the rooms can only accommodate 4. Although a roll away bed is an option, it was considered a fire hazard for a room with 2 full beds. Rooms are large enough to cover and quite spacious. Fri night fireworks were a blast along with the beach and pool. No time to try out spa services. My only issue was that one of the ACs was down; the ceiling fan helped in the kids adjoining room. Thetiles were dirty as our feet picked up a lot of dirt and grime. Not expected at this price point $280; with fees and taxes per night. Staff was friendly and helpful. My kids lovved the resort. It is one of the most convenient and beautiful for weddings. Very intimate for 80 guests. Loved our first eve turn down service. Didnt get that on the second night. We did rest well after late reception and everything was easy to navigate. Valet parking was fast and efficient. Early check in w as fab.

• Stayed April 2013
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a tough review to write because I've been staying at this hotel for years and while part of me wants to give it a glowing review, another part of me wants to give it one star.

Grove Isle is a small private island, an absolute sanctuary, yet you could not be more centrally located in Miami, between Coral Gables, the Grove, Brickell, Key Biscayne, and South Beach. Yes, everything is a drive away but you have access to so much of Miami beyond the tourist-y. Grove Isle is quiet and peaceful, the grounds are stunning and the restaurant has some of the best views in town. The spa was nice; great fitness center.

Restaurant: had a lot of meals here, for the most part delicious and the bar has a nice ambiance. I only got annoyed when the chef refused to make me oatmeal one morning because breakfast was over and he had "already thrown out" the oatmeal. First of all, I don't want the disgusting old oatmeal that you prepared five hours ago anyways. Secondly, all you have to do is boil water! And I'm a guest at the hotel and I can't exactly walk anywhere for breakfast and I just woke up so I'm not really in the mood for a caesar salad!

Okayy, I had to vent.

Hotel: some rooms have renovated bathrooms, there's one in particular on the first floor that is spectacular. However, for the most part, most rooms are old and they have the exact same finishings and decor as 1999. The air conditioning wasn't working well, the shower curtain had some mold. I called for slippers because the floor was cold and dirty - nope. The towels are old, not fluffy, just yucky. There's no minibar.... Serious problem when you're hungry late, you're literally stranded on an island and the hotel does not have 24 hour room service. So maybe I get some snacks and keep them in the room? They charge to lend you a small refrigerator. And this hotel is not cheap!

Bottom line: heavenly island, run-down hotel. Yes, I'll stay here again - no place compares to it. But I'll still be taking deep breaths to not let all the not so little things get to me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!