“Guest for a wedding. Stayed april 19-20; stay was avg yet convenient” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa

Save Saved
You added The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Grove Isle Dr, Coconut Grove, Miami, FL 33133   |
Ranked #67 of 129 hotels in Miami
“Guest for a wedding. Stayed april 19-20; stay was avg yet convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We stayed here because we were aattending hotel festivities and a wedding. The rooms are ok and reflect that old spanish charm in the flooring, balcony, and restrooms- complete with a refreshing bidet. Unfortunately, our family needed to add a room as the rooms can only accommodate 4. Although a roll away bed is an option, it was considered a fire hazard for a room with 2 full beds. Rooms are large enough to cover and quite spacious. Fri night fireworks were a blast along with the beach and pool. No time to try out spa services. My only issue was that one of the ACs was down; the ceiling fan helped in the kids adjoining room. Thetiles were dirty as our feet picked up a lot of dirt and grime. Not expected at this price point $280; with fees and taxes per night. Staff was friendly and helpful. My kids lovved the resort. It is one of the most convenient and beautiful for weddings. Very intimate for 80 guests. Loved our first eve turn down service. Didnt get that on the second night. We did rest well after late reception and everything was easy to navigate. Valet parking was fast and efficient. Early check in w as fab.

• Stayed April 2013

267 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a tough review to write because I've been staying at this hotel for years and while part of me wants to give it a glowing review, another part of me wants to give it one star.

Grove Isle is a small private island, an absolute sanctuary, yet you could not be more centrally located in Miami, between Coral Gables, the Grove, Brickell, Key Biscayne, and South Beach. Yes, everything is a drive away but you have access to so much of Miami beyond the tourist-y. Grove Isle is quiet and peaceful, the grounds are stunning and the restaurant has some of the best views in town. The spa was nice; great fitness center.

Restaurant: had a lot of meals here, for the most part delicious and the bar has a nice ambiance. I only got annoyed when the chef refused to make me oatmeal one morning because breakfast was over and he had "already thrown out" the oatmeal. First of all, I don't want the disgusting old oatmeal that you prepared five hours ago anyways. Secondly, all you have to do is boil water! And I'm a guest at the hotel and I can't exactly walk anywhere for breakfast and I just woke up so I'm not really in the mood for a caesar salad!

Okayy, I had to vent.

Hotel: some rooms have renovated bathrooms, there's one in particular on the first floor that is spectacular. However, for the most part, most rooms are old and they have the exact same finishings and decor as 1999. The air conditioning wasn't working well, the shower curtain had some mold. I called for slippers because the floor was cold and dirty - nope. The towels are old, not fluffy, just yucky. There's no minibar.... Serious problem when you're hungry late, you're literally stranded on an island and the hotel does not have 24 hour room service. So maybe I get some snacks and keep them in the room? They charge to lend you a small refrigerator. And this hotel is not cheap!

Bottom line: heavenly island, run-down hotel. Yes, I'll stay here again - no place compares to it. But I'll still be taking deep breaths to not let all the not so little things get to me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

I lived in Miami for 28 years and had no clue this hotel existed. From the moment we encountered the small bridge that leads you to the hotel we were impressed. Has to be one of the most beautiful views of the bay.
check in was a breeze and the Valet went above and beyond to assist us. They were the highlight of our trip. From fetching ice, to assisting our bags they truly deserve all of the credit.
The view from our room was breathtaking but the room was slightly outdated. If youre into 90's decor this is the place for you. If you're seeking more modern furniture/decor this isnt for you. We were given the suite and boy was it spacious. Balcony was such a pleasure to use. From the birds flying by to the downtown Miami skyline...it was fantastic. All in all this hotel is great but due to the cost for those outdated rooms we probably wouldnt return.

Room Tip: Room 510!!!!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
lisboa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Year and year again we return to sunny Miami and always stay at the Grove Isle. Away from the madness, yet close enough when we do feel 'wild', it is the perfect hideaway for young (and old) lovers. This year luck seemed on holiday, as we found no room availability when we called, yet Expedia saved us last minute and excited as ever we arrived around 7pm. Even though 3 porters where standing next to the entrance -busily chatting - not one opened our car doors or came to help to unload the trunk. Well, maybe they had an important matter to discuss.
After struggling to lift our luggage out of the car I then tried to push my 2 suitcases up the ramp (it did not work well) when finally one of the porters spotted me and offered help. Ah, but the soothing singsong of tropical birds, the swaying palms, the gentle sea breeze playing with my hair, who cares about inattentive porters. The receptionist checked us in smoothly and swiftly while I leaned on a way too sticky counter-top. Oddly enough we got the same room as every year. Overlooking the bay and the fire pitch, I could take joy from my balcony view for ever. The room is just as I remembered it, only the mini bar seems to be missing.

While I jump into the shower hubby sets up his work station, laptop, i-pad and all those other technical gadgets he cannot live without. But next hiccup is already waiting - no internet for my busy businessman. Oh no, that will be a fight! After 3 visits from the specialists and lots of excited phone calls we finally make our way to dinner, too hungry and too sleepy to argue (no internet though). We take a table outside, fresh but summery, dimly lit and very romantic. The place is almost empty, but of course it is a Monday night. After 12h of flying we opt for some light starters and simple pasta. Not on the menu, yet the kitchen agrees to make it specially for us. Our waiter (funny and good spirited) however seems to be clueless and when we asked for some Parmesan he brought us a whole piece and left it on the table! (without a grater, knife or shaving devise)

Back in our room, I am happy that even my husband gets tired, so no more internet battle for tonight. But sharply at 6, before sun and birds get moving he is back on his machines and again, no connection. This time he decides to march down to reception , to look into the matter himself and surely enough an hour later we are online. No idea what happened, as long I have his smile back.

Time for a morning swim we decide and pay a visit to the pool. Looking for some towels we find nothing and nobody. There surely used to be towels all the years before, always ready for early water-babies. It takes us about 20mintues before we finally get them, but by now our mood has already dropped, as the area looks rather rundown and dirty. There are used towels and broken toys, reminders of the previous day, but still not cleaned by next morning? The pool does not seem to circulate and the heat exchange has been turned off, so the water is freezing. (We take a naughty dip in the neighbor's pool, clean and warm, just as we remember it from the Grove Isle) Ok, swimming this trip around will be a no-no and already I am upset for not having opted for The Ritz.

Breakfast instead! The hostess, dressed totally out of place for morning hour (what happened to elegant uniforms that fit the style of the hotel?) takes us to a lovely table outside, fresh fruit and yogurt, but no freshly squeezed juices to be found. 'Policy of the hotel.' I decide to fill up at Whole foods and take home-made breakfast on our balcony for the rest of the stay.(there is no option for organic milk or additive free yogurt at the hotel) My charming husband even manages to get a fridge back into the room. Luxury at last. (I believe a minibar is standard at a 5* resort)

My Jetlag haze has faded now and I start observing the crumbling signs of neglect. Our bathroom cupboard does not close and there is some sort of black yuck growing inside. The balcony doors are rotting and in need of a serious clean up and paint job. The moody elevator (sometimes the doors don't want to close) looks very worn, screws are missing, a sign is ready to fall and the windows are beyond filthy. The furniture cushions are stained and have burn holes, the lounge chairs at the balcony are in a terrible state (one does not sit on them without a protective layer) and not all lights work. The overall feeling of the hotel could be called: sticky, tired, unclean and sad. Yet, the land around the property is pristinely manicured and as beautiful as ever. I spot our waiter from last night mopping the floor, no wonder he didn't know about Parmesan...Maybe they really had to cut back on staff? But at a 5 star cutbacks can be an issue. Later that day my husband needs his suit pressed so I try sending it right away. But to my surprise there is no in-house pressing, so I am advised that it would take 24h. 24h? Shocked I end up ironing his suit myself. This much for service culture. Another night we watch an enraged guest jumping from the dinner table, screaming for everyone to be fired. He later apologizes to us and explains that he has come here for 15years and has never seen this place in such a mess. We of course agreed. Internet kept being an issue throughout our stay to the point that the receptionist would hide when my husband entered. One of my husband's business conferences (skype) had to be canceled and was done over the hotel's land-line, of course for a fee. Another time when we could not connect he needed a paper printed and asked the receptionist for help, since the hotel staff did have connectivity. The girl advised us rather snobbishly that she is doing us a favor!!!
Friday we went out for a lovely dinner and decided to head straight back to the hotel to enjoy a nightcap by the fire. But when we returned by 11.30, the restaurant and bar where already shut and of course no more room service available and since mini bars had been removed, no drinks to be found anywhere. That's something I have never experienced, not even at Ramadan in the Arab world. So we joined an already thirsty(and hungry) crowd by the fire, who just had ordered cheap pizza and beers from outside and we spend some romantic moments dreaming of porto and complaining about the Grove Isle. (It baffles me not to offer drinks or room service, after all that's where the money is made) Our stay otherwise was pleasant enough. I 'befriended' the German Chef and my dinners became simple and delightful.
But would we come back next year? Honestly, most likely not. No pool, no internet, no ironing service, no drinks after 11pm... it is not the usual 5-star standard anymore. Unless of course, the management will be changed and some serious amount of TLC invested into a place I once called Paradise. It would be a big mistake and shame to let such beauty go to waste.

PS: I contacted the manager Mister Levin to meet in person and to point out some rather concerning problems. He kindly replied to my email that he will be at my disposal the next day, but he then disappeared from sight. Shame. But I guess this kind of 'caring attitude' got the poor hotel where it is today. Very very sad Mr. Levin. Try treating your job and 'your' hotel with a little TLC. You might be astonished by the rewards you can feel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked. Your feedback is vital for us to address our shortfalls as well as perfecting our service going forward. I do hope that you return in the future and give us the opportunity to impress you with the service and regain your confidence in the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.
Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013 via mobile

I called this hotel to reserve during the Sony Open tennis tournament. She said the hotel was only 5 miles from tournament. I booked at a fairly reasonable rate. I thought things were going to work out. When we arrived the tournament was a half hour away. The parking was valet only, no other option at $24 per night. It is a resort property so we were also assessed a $28 resort fee plus all food and beverages are assessed mandatory 20%. I felt totally riped off. It is an OK place, but you are isolated with no options except use their facilities or drive 5 to 10 miles to get anything. BEWARE

• Stayed March 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

I must say the location of the hotel is amazing. If you are looking to stay in a hotel out of the Miami craze, it's the place for you. HOWEVER, the hotel is not up to par. We are currently staying in this hotel for my best friends wedding. She chose this hotel because of the location and the view (which are both stunning) but from the moment we checked in, we've had minor issues that could be easily resolved but weren't. For starters, the bride was promised the bridal suite which was suprisingly unavailable once she got here. Instead, we were given a mediocre room. In the room, the sofabed was broken, there was no toilet paper and not enough towels. When we called for more towels at night, they told us they had none available. We had to share 2 towels between 6 girls. That's just ridiculous to me. We asked for more toilet paper and they bring us one roll. This morning, we told them we needed coffee and cream for 6 people- it took them 45 minutes to bring one pot of coffee, cream and 2 cups (for 6 girls mind you). A lot of these issues sound minute but on a special day like your wedding day when you are already stressed out as it is, these are small things that can be easily resolved and taken care of. The hotel is very under staffed. It's a shame that such a gorgeous hotel has such poor service. The only positive thing I can say is that the room attendant, Danitza has gone above and beyond to try and make the situation better. She is an asset to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

The location is excellent, an Island off of the exclusive area of Coconut grove. This island is very small, there's only the hotel, 3 condominiums and a marina. I felt like a millionaire lol.
The hotel is very very romantic, but good for friends. They also do lots of weddings there.
I would not take my kids here because it's oviously surrounded by water (deep waters) and does not fave any fences. You can just walk right into the deep ocean. (I did not wanted to get drunk there either for the same reason).
This place is very peaceful and relaxing, perfect to go and get rid of stress (I did).
It is dated, but everything worked well in my room.
The staff was very friendly, courteous and getting out of their way to help me.
Fernando was very nice, always smiling and making sure you're having a good time. He also went up to my room at 3am to bring me 2 water bottles because I had called asking for a vending machine (which they don't have at the hotel).
I would def go back to this hotel, but with my fiance to make a little romantic getaway... I wish I could get married here -I already told him that ;)
I did not use the spa but I saw the price list and it is pricey. $150 the minimun for a 50 min. massage.
I did go to Gibraltar, the restaurant. The food (specially the breakfast) is very good, not too pricey.
There are 3 condomiums that share the island and the people that live do their morning walks around the island. They are so friendly. Smiling all the time and offering to take picture, I thought that was very nice.

Room Tip: Bayview rooms on the first floors have a dinning table outside where you can have a private dinner c...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!