“Much diminished hotel.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 130 hotels in Miami
London, England
“Much diminished hotel.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Be very careful of this place. In our room the television had been ripped out of the bathroom (and the holes in the wall left) the plumbing was rusty and dirty; the mini-bar and fridge in the bedroom had been removed. A free small bottle of water left in the room for one night only. Incredibly if you want a cold drink machine there's only one, placed in the staff garage and a long walk down to ground level and across the entire courtyard. The air conditioning didn't work properly and the front desk told less than the truth about if and when it would ever be restored (it wasn't during our stay). What on earth has happened to this once attractive hotel ?

Room Tip: Establish whether your room has mini bar and fridge.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Ben L, Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Travelwriter41,

Thank you for providing this authentic feedback because without it we cannot improve. We are currently re configuring our bathrooms and I sorry to hear that your room had not been completed. We do offer complimentary bottles on the day of arrival and upon request we are happy to replenish. Although we no longer have mini bars in our guest rooms, we do offer beverages from room service. The vending machine you mentioned is intended for our staff only; that is why it is not located in a guest area. We have made and continue to make improvements throughout our property to enhance the guest experience. I invite you to contact me directly should you decide to give us another opportunity to experience Grove Isle Hotel.

255 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Costa Mesa, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My GF surprised me for my birthday with a trip to Miami. We live in Southern California and the Keys have always been a desired place to visit. Grove Isle was close to the city and several hours away from Key West. She was attracted to this hotel because of location (it's on a small man-made Island); it's proximity to everything; and moderate price (Miami is very expensive). We found the hotel to be very nice; very clean (our room had a bay view); and the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. We had to turn down the A/C in our room because it was so efficient. Yes, some of the ammenities in the bathroom were a bit dated, but we were not expecting the Ritz-Carlton. Breakfasts were great, dinners were average, and we found much more adventurous faire in near-by Coconut Grove (Jaguar for great Peruvian food, and several others). Lots of touristy restaurants & shops which we stayed away from.

Morning/afternoon views of Biscayne Bay from the pool area were amazing. You can also walk around the entire island within 30 minutes, which we did every morning/afternoon. From the water's edge we were able to clearly see: puffer fish, pipe fish, several small sharks, small baracuda, etc. There is no beach, but relaxing at the pool and sipping mojitos & mai tais became a favorite past time.

Parking at the hotel is expensive: $24.00 a day, but the getaway, and the de-stress made even that worth it.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a unobstructed bay view room. Gorgeous sunrises.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Clark K,

Thank you for your authentic feedback. I am happy to hear you and your girlfriend had great experience with us. Our location is very unique. Being on the island provides magnificent views and is a great place to take a walk. I agree that our bath amenities are dated and we are in the process of upgrading them. I look forward to welcoming you back to Grove Isle Hotel in the future.
Liberty, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went to Grove Isle for my cousin's wedding this past weekend. Upon arrival we were welcomed by the Hotel staff. Having only viewed the pictures online we were pleasantly surprised to see the beautiful views of Biscayne Bay from our room and the restaurant and bar areas. It was picture perfect and serene. The hotel staff were were very accommodating and very courteous. My cousin had a beautiful ceremony on the grounds overlooking Biscayne Bay. The ambience of the ballroom was very romantic and the food delightfully tasteful. I was impressed by the attention we were given by the general manager, Mr. Levine, who personally attended to our needs. All are to be commended for a job well done. My family and I would certainly recommend Grove Isle Hotel and Spa to others and we will certainly book this Hotel in the future when we are in the Miami area.

Room Tip: We had a room on the first floor with a beautiful view of Biscayne Bay and easy access to walk aroun...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Tom P,

The entire wedding party was truly a pleasure to have with us. I am happy to hear that everyone enjoyed the weekend at Grove Isle. Our location is very special with views of Biscayne Bay making the perfect backdrop for a relaxing vacation or a romantic wedding ceremony. We take pride in our staff and I am glad your experience has exceeded your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Ariel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

We booked this stay with Grove Isle for a girls spa weekend. In walking into our room, we thought the A/C had been turned off because it was so warm. No, the A/C was broken. In reading the reviews and seeing all the months where the A/C has been broken, I'm shocked at the price they charge.The pictures on their website is NOT what it looks like. I should of read all the reviews on this website before I booked, that is my error. We went down to speak to the manager, who looked at us blankly, and she advised us they have no night manager. Uh, ok....so what do we do for air? She said she had no idea. The next night it's now reaching 90 degrees in our room and we go back down and ask for a fan. They said they had no fans and that the A/C had been broken since last week. I could not believe they knew this and never said a word. They overcharged my credit card for services we were supposed to be discounted for since we booked a spa package. I am now fighting to have these fees taken off. The elevators are hideous and old, smell and had bugs crawling up the sides. The hotel rom itself was needing a HUGE face lift. The room, on average, goes for $245. Make it worth it and make it so it's not a lie on the website with fake professional pictures. Staff is rude, everything sucked. Seriously, move on from this place. All the poor reviews say exactly the same thing. Learn from us, don't stay here.

Room Tip: A/C constantly broken. Has bugs EVERYWHERE!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Michelle B,

I am sorry that your stay at Grove Isle Hotel and Spa was disrupted with so many challenges. We have addressed the air conditioning malfunction and purchased some fans as a precaution of future issues. We have also restructured our management to have the appropriate staff members on property helping our guests throughout the day and night. I have shared your feedback with our staff so they are aware of the experiences they are providing. It is important that we address our guest concerns in a polite, gracious and efficient manner. Again, I sincerely apologize that your stay less than satisfactory and thank you for bringing this to our attention. Without this authentic feedback we are unable to improve. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly for assistance in correcting your billing issues.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Grove isle holds special memores for my wife and I as I proposed there. Now 2 children and 5 years later we went back. The place had not changed. Wonderful settings but the rest a major let down, the spa was wonderlful then in the showers my wife found insects, when she informed reception. They just laughed about it. Please grove isle have a refurnishment and clean up you act

• Stayed July 2012
Sergio71sas,

Thank you for visiting us at Grove Isle Hotel & Spa. It is a truly special place that has been the backdrop for great memories for many people. I am happy that you were able to relive this with your wife. I am so sorry that there were insects in your shower and embarrassed by the reaction of our front desk. We have brought this to the attention of our staff made changes that will allow us to create special memories for our future guests. I hope you visit us again soon to relive your positive memories.
Maitland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

This small boutique spa has amazing treatments and therapists, they really go above and beyond. I'm sad to say I lost a turquoise earring there somewhere on site so if found please let me know, it's a stud earring. The jacuzzi tub facing the water is real secluded and the people are friendly, this is not a stuffy pretencious feeling. Real comfortable and professional, I loved this little cottage. It's a gem!

Room Tip: I did not use the valet, I took my chances to park on property nearby and there were no tow signs. I...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Milldale,

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your spa experience with us at Grove Isle Resort and Spa. We are lucky to have such a special location, facility and staff; it allows for a tranquil yet professional environment.
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

Beautiful, peaceful setting. The grounds are meticulously manicured. The rooms are clean and spacious. My wife and I traveled with our 20 year old daughter and 17 year old son. We requested and received adjoining rooms. The service was above average with the exception of room service. All in all I would definitely return in the future.

• Stayed August 2012
Sweda,

Thank you for your comments! Our location and setting is quite magical with amazing views of the bay, Miami Beach and Key Biscayne. I have shared your feedback regarding room service with our restaurant manager and we have created systems to improve this for the future. I am happy that you enjoyed our over sized guest rooms and professional staff and look forward to welcoming you back to Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!