“Do not stay here!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 130 hotels in Miami
Boca Raton, Florida
“Do not stay here!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Awful hotel. Old, worn down and not clean. Roaches the size of softballs are there waiting to greet you when you check in to your room. The ceiling fan, phone and AC did not work. In addition the Hotel book mentioned a mini bar stocked with items however this did not exist. No vending machines, ice machines, gift shop or anyway to fine a simple bottle of water in this hotel. You are on your own once room service closes! Since you are on a small island you are pretty much out of luck if you are thirsty at night. The room itself felt dirty (the floors had stains all over, bathroom too) and the bed was so droopy and old I felt like I was staying someplace that had not been updated since 1970. The Pool was very dirty too like it had not been cleaned in months. Lack of towels around the pool area showed me that service is not a priority for this hotel. The whole feel of the hotel was old, musty and needed a face lift bad. At least at night it looked less dirty and beat up, maybe it was just the poor lighting.

On a positive note the food at the restaurants was excellent. It was a shame that a great chef decided to waste his talents at a run down, beat up dump like this.

Room Tip: Do not stay here. if you do make sure you get a room with an AC unit that works and bring plenty of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

260 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Santa Cruz, Bolivia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Bad service, expensive restaurant, worms and mold in the bathroom, etc. etc. PLUS, they double charged my credit card and charged the resort fee (which I didn't even know about) 3 times! The resort was aged and empty. The pool did not look clean and there was no one at the door or at the front desk when we arrived. What did way pay for?

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Key Biscayne
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GMGroveisle, General Manager at The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you so much for posting a review on TripAdvisor. I am disappointed that your visit with us was not as pleasant as we all would have liked. Your feedback is vital for us to address our shortfalls as well as perfecting our service going forward. I do hope that you return in the future and give us the opportunity to impress you with the service and regain your confidence in the Grove Isle Hotel and Spa.
Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

This hotel's website is misleading. My friend and I booked from the pictures online. Looks are deceiving.
Our first surprise, was the hidden mandatory $24.00 per day parking. Imagine our surprise when this was told to us from the front desk. Second surprise was the unclean bathroom. The bathroom looked as as it's not scrubbed properly. Third surprise, was our bottle of water that was missing when we returned to the room after a day of sight seeing. Fourth surprise, is the hidden resort fee of $25.00 per day. Once again, these fees are not listed on the website. Fifth surprise, for the amount of money spent one would expect a room that is better than the Marriot or even Holiday Inn. Our room was subpar. The most annoying surprise was that the ac was broken. Because of that we were not able to adjust the air. I was ok, but my goddaughter and friend were freezing. You cannot read the screen of the ac therefore you are clueless about the number.

BEWARE!!! We booked with Orbitz and they tried not to honor the price. We were told, the discount is too low. We fought to get it honored.

Plus side: Staff was friendly.

Do not waste your money to come here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

This hotel is located on it own little Island, gate house to keep out any unwanted visitors. Surrounded by water, plush grounds and a great pool area. The restaurant and bar was fantastic, great breakfast, great dining experience in the evenings, great wine list, poolside cabanas, tiki bar, and very friendly staff, the front desk, the valet, the waiters, the bartenders, the spa technicians, everyone made our stay so much more comfortable. I will definitely come back anytime I'm in Miami!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

This property appears to be in the process of financial failure. Rooms were antiquated, amenities in terrible shape. We visited the bar....deserted. We ate at the restaurant...substandard. We visited the spa....it would have been more enjoyable walking through a car wash. Staff were nowhere to be found and totally distinterested. This hotel does NOTHING to justify its price.

Miami is full of better options. Pass this one by.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This place is like a hidden gem, tucked away from all the craziness of Miami. We stayed in the water front room, which was beautifully decorated, the balcony was great, the entire room was very relaxing. The pool was great, we stayed during off season, so there were barely any people there, so we got to use the waterfall jacuzzi at all times. Food is great, it is pricey, but hey you're on a private island!!! There's a bar by the pool, with tvs and some great fun drinks!

The creme brulee is the best one I've tried so far! I've never seen a more fancy brunch buffet. Lots of seafood, regular breakfast stuff, dessert, and unlimited mimosas. The waiter even gave us our own bottle of champagne!

The island is beautiful and very peaceful. It's small and perfect for late night walks.
Everyone that worked there was very nice. This place definitely puts South Beach to shame. We will definitely return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

We had our wedding at the Grove Isle Hotel & Spa (initially when I first joined wedding wire I was going to have it at Palms Hotel in Miami but decided not to based upon my meeting with a catering manager named Monica) I chose Grove Isle for its scenic views (every room has a view of water), it is a lovely backdrop for an outdoor ceremony. Christian is the catering manager and his professionalism and personality sealed the deal. The venue is pricey. I had 40 people and 5 children and had to reach their minimum of 8500 food and beverage. This became a bit challenging but with more guests it would be easy to do. Tax and service is separate also. If you choose the brunch the following day, when all is said and done with tax service, the ceremony fee etc...it can get pricey. I do have to say that I think what we spent on our wedding at Grove Isle was well worth it. The food is top notch. You are not having that standard "wedding food" that your guests usually pick at. Everything was tasty, well prepared, and well presented. Kudos to the chef and culinary team at Grove Isle. The brunch the following day was all the same if not even better! One of the reasons we chose Grove Isle is that it is pet friendly. I have a small yorkie- a well trained beautiful dog. He was welcome in most areas of the hotel. I was a bit disappointed that he could not swim in the pool, but I suppose I understand. They did allow a group of children, about 25 or so come to use the pool for about 2-3 hours in during prime pool time. It is a local tennis club and I believe Grove Ilse has an arrangement with them. This was a very bad idea. The children although adorable are loud and disruptive and this is a policy that they made that should be ceased right away. All the guests at the pool were very bothered. It is not worth the money Grove Isle may get from the tennis club to allow them to come. It will hurt future business. My dog also had to be leashed everywhere we went, even though he is trained to stay by me, another bummer for a dog not used to that. The week I was there with our guests the air conditioning units were on the fritz. About half the hotel had no a/c. My room included. This made it very uncomfortable during our stay-especially while I was getting ready on the wedding day. I had make-up/photographer/hair in my room. It was hot and uncomfortable. I was unable to switch rooms due to a completely booked hotel. We had our wedding on a Friday and there was another the next day. Being a 50 room boutique hotel, I am pretty certain myself and the other bride had the entire hotel booked. Side note-you will never share your day with another bride. They only do one per day-which is great! All attention/service on you for "your day"...Many of our guests had no a/c as well. It was embarrassing for me. I book this 5 star hotel and no a/c at end of June! Oy...BUT the hotel manager Catherine did the right thing and had our stay free of charge along with any of my guests that had no a/c as well. This is very important. I learned that as soon as we left it broke down completely and this is a half a million job to fix. The amount of complaints received from guests as well as the major loss of money (from all the accommodating free stays) must have been incredibly strenuous. I was very very pleased to see that a good business decision was made and I was very impressed. As the bride and groom we were even invited back for a free stay for as long as we wish along with dinner on them one night. Now that is service. There were a couple bumps in the road during our stay both with us and our guests but I am not going to mention them because the end result is we walked away satisfied and left feeling like we chose an exceptional place for our wedding. I would not dream of changing our venue. Any bride and groom deciding to book Grove Isle for their wedding will be exceptionally pleased. I am someone that puts a great deal of value on service/presentation/accommodation. I expect people to do their job and do it exceptional. If you have those expectations choose Grove Isle and you will not be disappointed

Room Tip: Choose a room ending in 05--they are the biggest
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Grove Isle Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!