“Good location - make sure you get a check out receipt!” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #46 of 122 Hotels in Miami
Denver, Colorado
“Good location - make sure you get a check out receipt!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

In September 2009, my sister and I prepaid a room for one night before a 4 day cruise with Royal Carribbean. It was $83 plus taxes.(a Sunday night). We enjoyed the Bayside market across the street, we did a harbor cruise and supplied ourselves with last minute take alongs at the drugstore up the street before heading for the ship on Monday. We felt the $83 charge was about right for the age and condition of the hotel.

We walked out front of the hotel and hired a yellow marked taxi only to find that it didn't have it's meter on. We had a very personable taxi driver who proceeded to tell us the fare was $20 to the port... nice try. We told him we would give him $10. (2 people plus 2 carry on bags).

THIS year we decided to do the trip again a month later, October 17th so we once again tried every discount program we have and came up with $136 PREPAID plus taxes for the same room type. We had 3 rooms bringing husbands and parents. On check in, we gave our credit card even knowing that there wouldn't be ANY charges as it was only an overnight stop before our cruise. We had a large line in the lobby the next morning. We decided to head for the port and caught a big yellow taxi for 6 to the port. ($12 plus tips 6 people - 6 bags) with a meter.

Whe we got back home, my sister's credit card was charged $75.00 by the hotel. She called the hotel and was told it was a "hold" and would fall off after a few days... This was a credit card! My credit card was charged $76.32 on a day after we had left on the cruise. When I called the hotel I was told the charge was for the restaurant, when I said we hadn't used the restaurant I was told the charge was for 18 boxes of children's cereal to the room ???? What? The bookkeeper said he would reverse it in a few days...

If you stay here make sure to get a check out receipt and monitor your credit card statement afterwards. Visa said they would dispute this for us.

Visa said they hadn't heard of this excuse before... No accusations but very curious that

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Spring Hill, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We stayed at this hotel the night before we went on a cruise. The staff was wonderful, the location was incredible. So many thing to go right across the street from the hotel. The ride to the port was less than 10 minutes and only $6.00.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Cartersville, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

Didn't have any of the problems I had read about online. I was only there for one night before my cruise. The location was perfect with the Bayside Market and cruise port right across from the hotel. Don't know what an extended stay would be like because you're right downtown Miami but we had a blast the night we stayed. The hotel is a little old but was clean from what I could see. Rooms were larger than expected. Next time I curise out of Miami I will definently use it again.

Pittsburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

My husband and I were going on a cruise and my husband planned for us to stay at the Holiday Inn 2 days before the cruise and 2 days after the cruise. Let me start off this review with the good. The first day check in went smoothly we were giving a nice clean room on the 10th floor with a refrigerator/microwave (my husband is diabetic and his insulin needs to be refrigerated), the room also had a nice view of the bayside. Another positive thing is the hotel proximity to the port and is centrally located to everything. The Bad....the second morning before the cruise we went to diningroom to eat breakfast at the buffet, it was close to 10:45am and the buffet was due to close at 11am. We asked if we could still get the buffet being that the food was still out and the diningroom was not full.We were told we could so we started eating, My Husband and I was seated at table big enough for 4 people and the 2 empty seats had table settings. As we were up at the buffet, the waiter/busboy came and took our plates/napkins when we sat back down we picked up the napkins for the 2 empty place settings, the bus boy came over and asked me to give him my napkin (that i was currently using to wipe my mouth) and reached over me to grabbed my husband plate.....i nearly lost it and informed the bus boy JEAN was his name, that he was still eating and he could not have my plate....i have never been treated so rudely....all the employees in this resturant on this particular day were rude and put off that we were eating, but they had no problem charging us for the buffet instead of saying it's almost time for lunch and you won't have time to get the buffet. My husband and I left the resturant and i had to cool down, my husband was still in disbelief and could not believe what we had just witnessed. So we left the hotel and went for a walk and discussed the situation, we decided this situation needed to be reported to the manager, and when we returned to the hotel we reported it to one manager who told us they were remove the charge of the buffet from the bill and will give us another breakfast for free (after being treated like that we had no intentions of eating back at the hotel resturant) the manager apologized. Well we get our bill and the charge of the buffet was still on the bill. I called the manager again who acted as if nothing had happened and explained the entire story again, they refused to remove the charge for the buffet she tookn 10% off the bill and offered us free breakfast or room service. This is not good customer service and i was not happy with this outcome. So we go on our cruise and come back again (2 late to cancel the reservations), We arrived at the hotel at 8am, we knew the hotel my not be able to accomodate early check in but we taught we would give it a try. the hotel was not able to accomodate us, the staff stated they had a room available but the view was lousy and she could get us a better room around 11a and she would call us to let us know if anything comes up before than. So we decided to explore Miami and do some shopping, the hotel never did call, we got back to the hotel around 11:30am. We were given a room back on the 10th , However, this room had no refrigerator/microwave and had a lousy view. So I called and asked if we could possibly have a refrig brought to the room, they told me to call housekeeping. We we called housekeeping the phone would constantly ring, I call the front desk back and explain the whole insulin situation again and was placed on hold for approx 20min, this time a man gets on the phone i ask if he's the manager and he says no, we can't give you a refrigerator and we don't have any rooms available, you can bring the insulin down here and we wll refrigerate it for you. Not only is my husband a diabetic, i'm a RN with a MSN, my husband has brittle diabetes and there was no way in hell, i was waiting on the one working elevator to come to go all the way to the lobby and back to the 10th floor to administer him his injection. So by this time, i'm seeing red.....i go down stairs with the insulin in my hands and ask to speak with the manager and after getting the same song and dance, I asked the manager if she knew with diabetes was and do she have any knowledge on brittle diabetics. Wow, the manager finally checks the computer and finds us another room (that just happened to be available) with a refrigerator. I would not recommend this hotel....the location is ideal but the staff is unprofessional, rude and disrespectful.

Vauxhall, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

I stayed here the night before going on my Cruise. The attendants at the front desk were very accommodating to my needs. I was pleasantly surprised about my room it was very clean and roomy plus I loved the view from the 10th floor. Also, there is a great restaurant located on the premises just in case you did not want to leave the hotel. This hotel was in walking distance to the nightlife at the harbor, but if you wanted to ride to South Beach it will cost you $25.00 and the ride to the port will run you about $12.00. If you want to want to relax or get your romance on this is a great hotel to be at.

offaly
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

This was my 4th time to stay at the Holiday Inn. It is a lovely hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpfull with any questions we had. The bedroom was very clean and spacious.Just across the road you will find Bayside Marketplace with plenty of shops,restaurants and bars with fab cocktails, its also a great place at night as there is live music. The cruise port is just a 5 min taxi ride away which is all important for your long awaited cruise. We stayed at the Holiday Inn before and after our cruise its a great location and we are looking foward to returning next year.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

If you need pre- or post-cruise accommodation, this hotel is a good choice as it's close to the cruise ship terminals. It's right across the road from the Bayside Marketplace with it's shops, restaurants and marina (where you can do a boat trip around Star Island, etc.). Overall the hotel was nice and although the decor was a bit old-fashioned, it was clean and tidy. For what you get, it's reasonably priced, too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!