“Second Time here” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Summerton, South Carolina
“Second Time here”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Stayed at this Holiday Inn at Port of Miami a year ago. Loved that room and visit. I can say in all honesty that this time was different. You still park in the rear of the hotel, however, this time all parking is Valet with a charge approximately $30 a day. There is a lot adjacent to the hotel that you can park and may be between $10-$20 a day however it may be a little hike to the hotel especially if you are carrying your luggage. The lobby was very nice and the staff was very courteous and efficient. The only complaint I had was that we were staying 2 nights. The first night was paid for with reward points and the second night I was paying in full. Because of this, the reservation had to be made in 2 reservations in lieu of 1 therefore, when we arrived, they initially said that we were staying one night. I had to correct them that it was 2 nights. They did see the second reservation and made sure that I could stay in the same room. Thankfully I could. However, I had to go back to the front desk to have them run my card again on the second day. I would think something could be done differently with both the reservation and the check in (not having to do it twice). We were checked into our room - 822. Previously we were on the 10th floor and had a view of the Bayside Marketplace and the port. Loved it. This time we had a view of the air conditioners. I know we can't all have a terrific view every time and in a city you have to take what you can get but, if I have my druthers.... The Elevators are evidently being upgraded which is good because they are not very fast. There are 3 elevators so we only had access to 2 at times. As we got close to the elevators, there was a musty smell that they were trying to control but it has got to be hard with a basement and hot humid weather. Our room was nice but on the small side with a king-sized bed in it. Bathroom had one sink and is on the small size. There was a table with 2 chairs for sitting at the table. Room does not include refrigerator/microwave but requested one and it was delivered with no additional charge. There is a bar and dining room at the hotel. The breakfast buffet is $13.95 per person plus tax with OJ not included in the price. The food is good. Did not care for the potatoes but the rest of the food was good. This hotel is directly across the street from the Bayside Marketplace which has restaurants, shopping and tourists type offerings (boat rides, etc.). I would stay here again but request a room on the 10th floor facing the port. There is a CVS located about a block and half away from the hotel that you can tell is visited by many in the area and they were always busy. However, they had bananas, apples and oranges for sale along with frozen dinners and such. If looking to save some money by not going out to eat, this may be an option. Several new restaurants scheduled to go in at Bayside so I would check the website for Bayside to see what they have. We did order a room service pizza. Not bad. 10" pepperoni pizza, $12.95 plus tax and gratuity was about $18.00

Room Tip: 10th floor has refrigerator/microwave. Also if you want to look at over city, specify this. Not th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Edna B,

Thank you so much for coming back again this year to stay with us! I truly appreciate all of your feedback and have shared them with our team. I apologize for the mix-up in your reservation and for us making you check in again for the second day. You are right that we need to fix that. Your comments will help us improve. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and like the location and our staff. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Donna

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Spartanburg
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the worst hotel that I've ever stayed in. I payed $200 for a room that was worth about $30. We arrived at the hotel early due to our flight. When we got there to check in the room wasn't ready, but that wasn't a big deal because we were early. However when we got there to check in the receptionist had an attitude. He was suppose to call me when the room was available. I never got a call we sat in the lobby for about 2 hours I finally went back to the desk to check on the room.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Misshollis,

Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay! I am sorry you had to wait for your room and no one called you to let you know when it was ready. I do hope you had a better experience when you did check in and all was good with your room and stay. Again, I am sorry.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Loved the location, opposite bayside which has loads of shops, bars, food and boat trips.
Hotel is of very high quality, beds are cloud like and rooms very clean and roomy but could probably do with an update now but no biggie.
Continental breakfast is cereal, toast, ham, cheeses, fruit and pastries. Good quality and fresh.
Pool isnt very large but sufficient for a cool down or quick dip but you are in Miami too much to do why sunbathe? Wi-fi was a pain, logged on ok but kept logging you out as soon as you were inactive. Car parking was advised as $12 pn but was only offered valet at $25 pn, the valet guys were very helpful and friendly though.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mandy K,

Thank you very much for staying with us on your trip to Miami! I am glad to know you enjoyed our great location, cleanliness and breakfast. We are fortunate to have so much to do within walking distance of the hotel, and close to many different areas. We hope you will come back and stay with us again on your next vacation to Miami.

Lincoln City, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Worst Holiday Inn ever. I've always thought Holiday Inn was quite consistent but...I was wrong. The price was very high for a closet of a room. For $232.00 a night I would have expected much more. Was told I would have a view and what I got was a brick wall. The bathroom door wouldn't even open all the way it was so small. The whole hotel smelled very musty with lots of chipped paint in the room and in the public areas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear LaurenLangdon,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay back in January! Please accept my sincere apology for giving you a less than acceptable experience. I am not sure if you shared your comments with our team since it was about 6 months ago and we are trying to figure out what happened. I am sorry and will use your feedback to insure we have fixed the concerns you had.

Caribbean
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The room- carpeted, small but comfortable for 2 persons, contains TV, Refrigerator, Microwave, Safe, table and 2 chairs, dresser, 2 night tables, 3 lamps, very clean.

Check in- very fast and we were allowed to have our room earlier than the usual check in time. The attendant also gave us a king bed at no additional cost even though our reservation was for a queen so we could have more space. My only negative comment is that we requested last check out and was told that we have to call reception on the morning of check to find out if we could check out late. It would have been helpful if we could know in advance if the possibility exists so we could plan the final day.

Spa/ pool- we did not use so cannot comment.

Restaurant (Marina Grill)- the Sunday buffet was excellent and the menu contains a wide range of yummy items. Try the hot chocolate.

Additional services- the Hotel arranged a "mall" shuttle to take us to Dolphin Mall, this bus also goes to other malls and Toys R Us at the cost of $10 usd. Bearing in mind that the taxis charge per meter, this price is unbeatable.

Location- in minutes you can cross the street and reach Bayside Market which boasts many stores, kiosks and restaurants- e.g Victoria Secrets, GAP, Guess, Clarks, Skechers, Hooters, Chilis, Hard Rock Cafe, Bubba Gump Shrimp, Starbucks, Haagen Daaz, local eateries e.g Latin Cafe (Cuban food), TradeWinds (seafood), Largo (grill/ steak), Hamburguesa (home of the 12 inch hotdog), the Knife (Argentinian Steakhouse) and many many more. You can also book a boat tour there to visit neighboring islands.

Walking distance from the Hotel you will find CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, Ross, Marshalls and 7 Eleven just to name a few.

The Hotel is about 20 minutes away from the Miami International Airport, so you will arrive fast and be assured that your stay will be hassle free so that you can sit back and enjoy lovely Miami!

Room Tip: People tend to be noisy whilst waiting for the elevator, so perhaps request a room further down the...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear ddsi05,

Thank you so much for letting us know about your enjoyable stay with us! Your detailed comments are greatly appreciated, with much valuable feedback for us. I am happy you enjoyed the excellent location near so much in Downtown Miami. Please come back and visit us again on your next trip to Miami.

Liberty Township, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We have stayed in the Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown several times, all before cruises and I have to say, the staff's attention to detail and customer service is unmatched by any other hotel we have stayed in near or in Miami in several years. Highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view of Bayside, it is a great view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear Melissa S,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to give us great feedback! We are so happy to hear how great you thought our service was, and better than other hotels. That is awesome and we are happy you let us show you how much we care. Please come back and visit us again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have stayed at this property twice and the customer service was consistently excellent both times. This past visit Montana was at the desk at both check in and out and epitomizes the friendliness and professionalism of IHG.

The property is very clean and well-maintained and is a great place to stay in Miami.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear m000q,

Thank you so much for coming back and staying with us again! I am happy we offered you the same great service on both trips and that Montana took great care of you. Please come back again soon on your next visit to Miami.

Donna

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!