“Great Pre-cruise Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 129 hotels in Miami
Burlington, Canada
“Great Pre-cruise Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Everything you want for a one night stay prior to a cruise. It is a $7 cab ride to the ship from the hotel. The Bayside Market is across the road. Here you can brouse, have a meal and look out over the bay. There is a CVS and a liquor store within three blocks so you can stock up for the cruise. The beds are comfortable, the price is great and the staff are friendly.
Now for the downside. Do not go there if you are allergic to mould. There is a weird smell when you enter the lobby which gives the impression of an old stale building. And that is exactly what you get. The hotel needs a complete renovation as others have indicated. I still may stay there next time for all of the other reasons I stated. Also there is a McDonalds within three blocks so go there for breakfast.
Just a warning if you are new to Miami. The cab drivers love to rip off tourists who do not know there way around. For example if you are going to the port or Hotel near there from the airport they love to take you north to the Airport Expressway then down 95 instead of going south to 836 to 95. This doubles the fare. Make sure to ask the driver if he has a transponder so he can use 836. Also have small bills since they never have anything less than a $20.

Room Tip: AS high as possible overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Luvtravel41,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us! I am happy to know you enjoyed our great location, price, staff and comfortable beds. As you know, Miami is a very humid place. It is a challenge to have the correct temperature as you walk in the hotel from the outside. We actually did a complete renovation of the entire hotel in the past year, with all in the rooms and public areas being new. I do appreciate your feedback to insure we are always improving. Please come back and visit us on your next trip to Miami.

1,198 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

We stayed for two nights post-cruise.

The concierge was good and booked us on an Everglades excursion. The drive on the van was ridiculous, it took an hour and ten minutes to pick up all the other people at other hotels. And then 35 more minutes to get there. Not great. The Everglades was amazing though.

The hotel was run down. Room not very clean. The elevators were scary. I did not feel safe. One of them was broken and the others were precarious at best.

The stairwells were scary and not clearly marked. Which left us no option but to use the elevators.

The front desk staff were cold and we felt as if they could have cared less about our patronage.

The noise levels in this hotel were insane. The only way to sleep is with ear plugs.

We found that our credit card had been charged when we left, we had prepaid with hotels.com a month prior. We are still trying to work this out since it is Christmas.

We went to a Heat game, and the proximity to the stadium was perfect. But seriously, that was the only good thing about this place. Probably would not stay here again. Not a positive experience whatsoever.

Stayed December 2013
Dear Canada Delia,

I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay with us! I am sorry it was not enjoyable and I would welcome the opportunity to talk further. We will share your comments with our team to work on getting better. I am glad you enjoyed the location.

Bartlesville, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location, but it lacks a lot in style. The website shows a renovation in 2013, but we only saw new paint and carpet. The rooms are a bit musty and the attention to detail is missing. They really needed to refurb the bathrooms instead of just covering mold and mildew with caulk and painting the grout in the floor. Rust stains are plenty and the cheap plastic faucet compliments a cheap "renovation". Not terrible, but nothing more than a 3 star at best. The hotel staff was Very friendly and helpful. The valet parking staff is a bit lazy, but friendly.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear AnB_4ever,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide comments regarding your stay with us! We actually did spend a lot of time and money on a complete renovation, including everything new in the rooms. The public areas were also renovated, with our new restaurant and lounge. I am sorry your stay was not enjoyable and I do appreciate you letting us know how you felt about all. I am happy you enjoyed the friendly staff and the location. I will share your comments so we can improve our hotel.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

Was there December 13 and 14, 2013. Hotel was very nice and clean. The only reason I did not give this a 5 is because the elevators were horrible. You waited 5 minutes or more for an elevator. Liked that it was close to the port and it have the little shopping center across the street.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, December 23, 2013
Dear Celeste D,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay! I am sorry about the problem with the elevators you experienced. The good news is we are replacing all of our elevators presently, and will have 3 new high speed elevators in the next few months. Please come back to visit us on your next visit to Miami so you can enjoy everything with your stay.

PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel prior to a cruise. I was disappointed that there was no shuttle service from the airport and to the cruise port. The hotel advertises that it is across the street from the port, but make no mistake, you cannot walk to it. It requires a taxi. There are things to do in close proximity of the hotel.

This is obviously a very old hotel. The lobby and hallways were clean. Our bathroom was a little moldy, just as another reviewer stated. The staff were pleasant. We did not eat at the restaurant as I thought it was exorbitantly priced for what was offered, but I did find out quickly that EVERYTHING in Miami is exorbitantly priced. There were no special amenities offered (free breakfast, shuttle service, etc) so if I were to cruise from the Miami port again, I will do a little more research to get the best bang for my buck.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Alswy,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us! I hope you enjoyed your cruise. I am sorry you were disappointed that we do not offer free breakfast or shuttle service. Hopefully you found us still reasonably priced for hotels in the downtown area that may offer those services, as we try to offer our guests great value. I appreciate your comments so we can make sure we do offer a great value. I am happy you enjoyed our location near so much in Downtown Miami. We hope to see you back again in the future.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights before our cruise. The location is great right across the street from shopping (however the shopping isn't great by any means but at least you can go somewhere without having to rent a car). There is no shuttle from the airport however which is a real pain. We got put in room 323 with a fabulous view of the homeless enjoying the train station and the naked man in the room around the corner. This room is also conveniently located next to the laundry facilities and about 5 doors in from the ancient elevators. This room has ABSOLUTELY NO sound proofing. None. We heard crashes from next door until 2 am which makes it pretty difficult to sleep, especially with a very light sleeping 1 year old. The laundry facilities were put to great use during our stay as the door opened and slammed shut about every 5 minutes literally shaking our room from 8 am- 11 (which is when I am writing this review, I have been timing the door slams) my son had the worst sleep of his life. If it wasn't doors slamming the elevator might as well have been next door because the loud DING startled him awake more times than I can recall... Followed by people loudly talking and stomping through the hallways. The housekeeping staff came to our room at 8 am the first morning and 10 am the second, both times the do not disturb was on the door but she still knocked and woke the baby. The front desk was good but when we asked for recommendations for food in the area they recommended a pizza place which was the worst pizza I've ever had in my life. The breakfast is mediocre nothin to write home about and for $13/person for the buffet it should be a lot better in my opinion. There is also black mould in the bathroom by the tub that my son was quite intrigued by during his baths. The water also smelled funny and gave him a rash. The second night when we returned to our room housekeeping had made the bed however they did not bother to vacuum the crumbs from my sons granola bar off the floor. Also when we arrived within 10 minutes of walking in our room the soles of my sons feet were black from dirt and god knows what else on the floor. If you are looking for a quiet, clean, restful place to stay DO NOT STAY HERE!!! We paid close to $200 per night to stay here and I can guarantee it will not happen again.

• Stayed December 2013
Dear Travellingfamjam,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback regarding your stay with us! I am sincerely sorry we dropped the ball during your stay. This is not up to our normal high standards. I am not sure if you addressed these issues during your stay, but I would like to talk further about that. Again, please accept our apologies.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Stayed here again recently and its much better than before. The lobby has been redecorated and it looks beautiful. The staff were much friendlier than on my last visit. The room I stayed in, was refurbished with new beds and furniture. The bathroom was ok, but could do with redecorating. The only thing missing was a fridge. Our room had a great view of Bayside Marketplace across the road.

We had breakfast once in the hotel restaurant, which was reasonable. Having free Wi-fi, being a few doors away from CVS and across the road from Bayside Marketplace and 10 mins away from the Cruise Port, makes this my First Choice when visiting Miami for a Cruise.

I will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevators and facing Bayside Marketplace
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Donna A, General Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Dear UkLioness,

We are so happy to hear you had a more enjoyable stay after our renovation, and that you will be back to stay with us! Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feedback. Glad you liked our redo, the friendly staff and our great location. I appreciate you trying us again after your last visit. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Donna

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!