“Great Location for Pre-Cruise Stay” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Toronto, On
“Great Location for Pre-Cruise Stay”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We spent 2 nights in this Holiday Inn before leaving for a cruise. Check in quick and easy, 2 free drink vouchers as I'm a Priority Club Member. We checked in early and our room wasn't ready, but they stored our luggage while we went out for a couple of hours. Our room, 1009, on 10th floor was spacious, clean and comfortable - bathroom so, so, but it is a Holiday Inn, so wasn't expecting miracles. The price was also pretty good - Miami hotels are really expensive this time of the year and the HI was very competitive.

The location was perfect for us. Great view of Bayside Market (just across the street) and the cruise ship terminals. Fun to watch the ships dock and sail from this vantage point. Also, there was a fireworks display the first night - fun to watch from our room. We ate breakfast at the hotel and it was okay; there was actually a menu, not just obligatory stale donuts or over-sweet excuses for Danish Pastries that pass for food in short-stay hotels.

The best thing for us was the fact that it was so close to the Port of Miami, so after we checked out, we were at the terminal in 5 minutes - always plenty of taxis.

If we decide to cruise again, we would definitely stay there, but not more than a couple of nights. If we were to spend more time in Miami, I would prefer to stay in South Beach.

One minor gripe - the elevators need to work more efficiently. Check out is 11am and we had to wait over 10 minutes for an elevator to stop at our floor to take us down to the lobby.

Room Tip: Select higher floor for great views of Bayside Market and Cruise Ship Terminals.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Rosita,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. It is nice to know that you had a good check in experience and you found our room comfortable. It is always hugely motivating to receive positive feedback from guests like you. Your additional comments regarding our elevators have been noted and this will be used to further improve on our efforts.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Pam G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Moncton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

when we arrive in Miami we went to the hotel to drop our luggage's and we called for a extra bed then went to the bayside near the hotel. when we arrived back from bayside the extra bed was in our room but our passport where gone so we called to the front desk. The manager wasn't there so the man in charges for the night came he was very helpful and help us search in our room for the passport. when he saw that the passport wasn't there and the only person that went to the room was to one that put our extra bed he decided to called the police. the police went and open a case files. the next morning we went to the canadian embassy to get some new passport it cost us 700$ so we went back to the hotel to see the manager because our passport was stolen in there hotel and we wanted a refund the lady manager was really not nice she said that she didn't want to give us our money back because she said it was impossible that the passport where stolen in her hotel but the only place that we needed our passport was to check in in the hotel and then we put the passport in the room so the passport needed to be in the hotel wen it was stolen. we argued with her and a the end she decided to give us our money back. If we didn't go to miami 2 days before our cruise we would still be there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear 82pat,

Thank you for your stay with us and leaving us a review. I am glad that you found our location to be of convenience. However, I would like to apologize for the dissatisfaction you may have experienced with the shortcomings in the service from our staff. Kindly be assured that we treat this matter seriously as we always strive to deliver world-class service to our guests. We will use your comments to improve our efforts.

Once again, many thanks for the feedback.

Pam G.
Sacramento, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

After reading several of other reviewers' reviews, I was somewhat hesitant to book this hotel. My sister and brother-in-law and my spouse and I flew into Miami the night before we left on an Eastern Caribbean cruise and the main reason I booked the hotel was its proximity to the Cruise Ship terminal. We were all pleasantly surprised by how nice the hotel was. The hotel was undergoing some renovation but it didn't cause us any difficulty. The rooms were large, comfortably appointed and clean: Comfortable beds, clean carpets and sparkling bathrooms and no funky odors. Very nice. The desk staff was very helpful; when we complained we didn't know where to park the rental car (we actually parked at the 'wrong' lot) the staff gave us coupons for drinks in the hotel bar. The bar is in the same area as the restaurant. Our plan was to have breakfast in the restaurant but it was way too crowded so although the bar staff the night before were fairly disinterested, I can't really comment on the rest of the restaurant staff. The hotel is across the street from a large outdoor-ish shopping mall with lots of bars and restaurants (including a HardRock Cafe). Other shops/restaurants are within walking distance of hotel. My only real complaint was that there was no outside signage for parking but the reception person said that the hotel had a sign but the City of Miami made the hotel remove it. There is a bellman who usually provides information but was inside helping some other hotel guests with their luggage. Although I gave the hotel 4 out of 5, keep in mind that this isn't a 4-Star hotel...it's probably about a 3-3.5 Star hotel.

Room Tip: The rooms we stayed in faced the front of the hotel on a very busy street. I routinely wear earplug...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here 2nights Feb 22-24. We were recommended by friends to stay here before our cruise. We checked in around 3pm, we had a small issue with keeping the same room for the two nights. However they did resolve it a few hours later. The location of this hotel is perfect. The Bayside market across the street is fantastic. We recived comp drinks for the bar and they were great. We also had the breakfast in the hotel and it was very good. Our room was on the 10th floor with an amazing view. I found the staff extremely helpful with all the questions I had about getting around Miami. I would stay here again and would certainly recommend it to friends and family too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Like many others, we booked this hotel the night before a cruise. The location was great and more reasonably priced (I thought) than other hotels in the area.

The hotel lobby was ok, nothing too impressive The staff at the front desk were not friendly or unfriendly. They just checked us in and sent us on our way.

The room was small, the bathroom had mold, broken tile and the bathroom fan made a terrible noise. To put this in perspective, we are not picky people. We simply wanted a comfortable convenient hotel for one night before our cruise.

I would highly recommend looking for a room at one of the many other hotels in the area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear JackieH8815,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your accommodations and the service you received during your stay. I just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for 6 days during the Miami boat show in February 2013. It was my worst experience at any Holiday Inn in my life. I was on the 10th floor which is the top floor with a great view of the bay. The ceiling was leaking and was previously repaired, there was mold and mildew in the bathtub area, the bathroom door hinges were rusty, the door frame paint was peeling, the bathroom ceiling was previously repaired and looked awful, the drain in the bathroom was not screwed in. The room, the floor, and the lobby smelt like moldy sweaty socks. There was a small fan by the 10th floor elevator to circulate air, however it was never on. The top of the upholstered chair in the room had old paint and dirt on it from previous painting. The housekeeping for the bathroom was awful. The counter was not always cleaned off, nor was the mirror cleaned. The doorman accidentally hit me while he was stretching and not watching for guest entering or leaving the hotel, he apologized. Not very welled trained staff. As for the restaurant, I tried dinner on my second night and had the chef's menu suggestion of ravioli. It was presented nicely and the server asked if I wanted some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. The inside of the ravioli was very cold. After finding another server, I do not know where mine went, the ravioli was taken back. Moments later, my freshly "MICROWAVED" food was returned to me in a new plate with almost no cheese sauce and now it had a sprinkling of parsley. No additional Parmesan cheese was offered. The restaurant was not busy, maybe 10 people, the service and food was horrible. For the rest of my stay I gave all my restaurant business that would have gone to holiday inn to the great restaurants at Bayside Market just across the street. I did this even though the hotel gave me a 20% discount coupon at check in. The gratuity for the restaurant is built into the bill for 15% so I was forced to tip this Holiday Inn restaurant for horrible service. I checked other hotels in the area for vacancies, however they were fully booked because of the boat show, or so expensive only celebrities could deaf ford them. I was stuck at this hotel. I found an iPhone on the sidewalk in front of the hotel and turned it in to the front desk, they said I could keep it if no one claimed it in 24 hours. Fortunately the owners claimed it that night. Finally, I contacted Holiday Inn using their website and was told the matter was turned over to the management of the hotel and a week later I have not yet received any response from the hotel. Please do not go here and support this awful business!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jorge C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for providing your comments. We are sincerely sorry that the inconveniences you experienced led to a less than perfect stay. These are not the standards of theHoliday Inn Port of Miami. Please know that we take your comments seriously and that we have addressed them with our staff. Furthermore, we will implement stricter measures to ensure that an occurrence like this does not happen again. We encourage you to reach out to us directly to further discuss this matter privately. We would like to be your choice hotel on trips to Miami and hope for another chance to provide you with a great experience.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here pre-cruise for 1 night, and were delighted to find out that we got a room upgrade that included a couch in addition to the two double beds. Perfect view overlooking the Bayside Market and the cruise ships as they came in that Saturday morning. Yes there is some construction going on, but it didn't bother us at all. Every place needs to upgrade at some point in time. Ate breakfast in the restaurant, which was delicious. would stay there again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!