“All about LOCATION” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #50 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Sydney, Canada
“All about LOCATION”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed here 2nights Feb 22-24. We were recommended by friends to stay here before our cruise. We checked in around 3pm, we had a small issue with keeping the same room for the two nights. However they did resolve it a few hours later. The location of this hotel is perfect. The Bayside market across the street is fantastic. We recived comp drinks for the bar and they were great. We also had the breakfast in the hotel and it was very good. Our room was on the 10th floor with an amazing view. I found the staff extremely helpful with all the questions I had about getting around Miami. I would stay here again and would certainly recommend it to friends and family too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kansas City, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Like many others, we booked this hotel the night before a cruise. The location was great and more reasonably priced (I thought) than other hotels in the area.

The hotel lobby was ok, nothing too impressive The staff at the front desk were not friendly or unfriendly. They just checked us in and sent us on our way.

The room was small, the bathroom had mold, broken tile and the bathroom fan made a terrible noise. To put this in perspective, we are not picky people. We simply wanted a comfortable convenient hotel for one night before our cruise.

I would highly recommend looking for a room at one of the many other hotels in the area.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear JackieH8815,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am sorry you were not fully satisfied with your accommodations and the service you received during your stay. I just want to assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. I have taken note of your valuable comments and we will use these to monitor and improve the quality of product and services we offer to our guests.

Connie D
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn for 6 days during the Miami boat show in February 2013. It was my worst experience at any Holiday Inn in my life. I was on the 10th floor which is the top floor with a great view of the bay. The ceiling was leaking and was previously repaired, there was mold and mildew in the bathtub area, the bathroom door hinges were rusty, the door frame paint was peeling, the bathroom ceiling was previously repaired and looked awful, the drain in the bathroom was not screwed in. The room, the floor, and the lobby smelt like moldy sweaty socks. There was a small fan by the 10th floor elevator to circulate air, however it was never on. The top of the upholstered chair in the room had old paint and dirt on it from previous painting. The housekeeping for the bathroom was awful. The counter was not always cleaned off, nor was the mirror cleaned. The doorman accidentally hit me while he was stretching and not watching for guest entering or leaving the hotel, he apologized. Not very welled trained staff. As for the restaurant, I tried dinner on my second night and had the chef's menu suggestion of ravioli. It was presented nicely and the server asked if I wanted some Parmesan cheese sprinkled on it. The inside of the ravioli was very cold. After finding another server, I do not know where mine went, the ravioli was taken back. Moments later, my freshly "MICROWAVED" food was returned to me in a new plate with almost no cheese sauce and now it had a sprinkling of parsley. No additional Parmesan cheese was offered. The restaurant was not busy, maybe 10 people, the service and food was horrible. For the rest of my stay I gave all my restaurant business that would have gone to holiday inn to the great restaurants at Bayside Market just across the street. I did this even though the hotel gave me a 20% discount coupon at check in. The gratuity for the restaurant is built into the bill for 15% so I was forced to tip this Holiday Inn restaurant for horrible service. I checked other hotels in the area for vacancies, however they were fully booked because of the boat show, or so expensive only celebrities could deaf ford them. I was stuck at this hotel. I found an iPhone on the sidewalk in front of the hotel and turned it in to the front desk, they said I could keep it if no one claimed it in 24 hours. Fortunately the owners claimed it that night. Finally, I contacted Holiday Inn using their website and was told the matter was turned over to the management of the hotel and a week later I have not yet received any response from the hotel. Please do not go here and support this awful business!!!

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jorge C, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Thank you for providing your comments. We are sincerely sorry that the inconveniences you experienced led to a less than perfect stay. These are not the standards of theHoliday Inn Port of Miami. Please know that we take your comments seriously and that we have addressed them with our staff. Furthermore, we will implement stricter measures to ensure that an occurrence like this does not happen again. We encourage you to reach out to us directly to further discuss this matter privately. We would like to be your choice hotel on trips to Miami and hope for another chance to provide you with a great experience.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed here pre-cruise for 1 night, and were delighted to find out that we got a room upgrade that included a couch in addition to the two double beds. Perfect view overlooking the Bayside Market and the cruise ships as they came in that Saturday morning. Yes there is some construction going on, but it didn't bother us at all. Every place needs to upgrade at some point in time. Ate breakfast in the restaurant, which was delicious. would stay there again!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Westerville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Taxi (shuttle) from airport less than 30 minutes, front desk staff friendly & helpful allowing us to check in 4 hours early. Our King Room was nice sized, comfy bed & linens, bathroom small but sparkling clean. Free wi-fi worked fine. We loved eating and shopping at Bayside Market place just across the street. How can you "KNOT!" Coming from an Ohio winter to summer in 1/2 a day and enjoying a beverage (Mojito anyone?) overlooking beautiful yachts in addition to great people watching as they embark & disembark from 2 -story boat tours. (We did not take any). CVS is a block away from the hotel for everything you may forgot & souveniers. Getting a taxi is a snap....literally, thanks to energetic "Porters." On cruise days, taxis line up so there's no waiting. If cruising, this is the place I'd always stay the nite before!!!

Side note: Some cab drivers back & forth from South Beach may make you think they drive for Nascar.

Emjay

Treasure Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip, and it was two nights too long!

The rooms may have been going through and uplift, but they were still nasty! My air conditioning was broken, my bathroom sink wasn't draining properly, and you could hear right through the walls – and when you have 4 young girls in the room next to yours, that leads to no sleeping! I complained many times to the staff but nothing was ever resolved!

One morning I ordered breakfast through the room service, my bacon was completely raw. When the young server return to my room with my change I asked her to bring the bacon back to the kitchen to have it cooked properly. She never returned. When I went to run errands later that day, I opened my door to my hotel room – and there was the raw bacon, sitting right in front of my door! I couldn't believe it! I went downstairs to complain to the hotel manager and restaurant manager. I ended up getting my breakfast for free – not a big deal – but the restaurant manager rolled her eyes at me as if she didn't believe my story! Honestly, I barely believe it myself! But who treats their customers like this!?!?

I will never stay at this holiday inn for as long as I live! I was extremely disappointed! Please do not go here and that support this awful business!

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Ashley S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Miami FL.

Orlando A.
pewaukee, wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We chose to stay in this hotel the evening before we left on a cruise. When a problem with our reservation occured it was though the front desk employees went into slow motion. They were paralyzed as to what to do and made us feel like it was our fault. We waited as they tried to sort it out for at least 30 minutes and then were told, check your bags here and go have something to eat. We did and upon our return you would have thought we were bothering the staff. Our reservation was found and we had a room.

Restaurant was good for both breakfast and evening snacks. Lobby is very inviting and comfortable.

Rooms... were recently updated but its difficult to transform an old hotel. Bathroom tile grout was falling off into the tub during a shower. Space is very small and tight in both the room and bathroom.

"Bayside Mall" directly across the street was nice to have as was the location for an early morning run.

There are many other options to stay pre-cruise. No need to stay right here on the port. Cab rides are minimal from anywhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear irunforlife,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your compliments regarding our restaurant and lobby.

On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the poor experience and dissatisfaction you had with our staff. Additionally, I am truly sorry for the shortcomings in your room.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. We hope that you can give us another chance so we can show you what we have done.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!