“Pleasant, Perfect (location for pre-cruise), maybe Pricey..” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
Save up to 25%
Ranked #54 of 131 hotels in Miami
Westerville, Ohio
“Pleasant, Perfect (location for pre-cruise), maybe Pricey..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Taxi (shuttle) from airport less than 30 minutes, front desk staff friendly & helpful allowing us to check in 4 hours early. Our King Room was nice sized, comfy bed & linens, bathroom small but sparkling clean. Free wi-fi worked fine. We loved eating and shopping at Bayside Market place just across the street. How can you "KNOT!" Coming from an Ohio winter to summer in 1/2 a day and enjoying a beverage (Mojito anyone?) overlooking beautiful yachts in addition to great people watching as they embark & disembark from 2 -story boat tours. (We did not take any). CVS is a block away from the hotel for everything you may forgot & souveniers. Getting a taxi is a snap....literally, thanks to energetic "Porters." On cruise days, taxis line up so there's no waiting. If cruising, this is the place I'd always stay the nite before!!!

Side note: Some cab drivers back & forth from South Beach may make you think they drive for Nascar.

Emjay

1,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Treasure Island, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip, and it was two nights too long!

The rooms may have been going through and uplift, but they were still nasty! My air conditioning was broken, my bathroom sink wasn't draining properly, and you could hear right through the walls – and when you have 4 young girls in the room next to yours, that leads to no sleeping! I complained many times to the staff but nothing was ever resolved!

One morning I ordered breakfast through the room service, my bacon was completely raw. When the young server return to my room with my change I asked her to bring the bacon back to the kitchen to have it cooked properly. She never returned. When I went to run errands later that day, I opened my door to my hotel room – and there was the raw bacon, sitting right in front of my door! I couldn't believe it! I went downstairs to complain to the hotel manager and restaurant manager. I ended up getting my breakfast for free – not a big deal – but the restaurant manager rolled her eyes at me as if she didn't believe my story! Honestly, I barely believe it myself! But who treats their customers like this!?!?

I will never stay at this holiday inn for as long as I live! I was extremely disappointed! Please do not go here and that support this awful business!

• Stayed February 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Ashley S,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Miami FL.

Orlando A.
pewaukee, wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We chose to stay in this hotel the evening before we left on a cruise. When a problem with our reservation occured it was though the front desk employees went into slow motion. They were paralyzed as to what to do and made us feel like it was our fault. We waited as they tried to sort it out for at least 30 minutes and then were told, check your bags here and go have something to eat. We did and upon our return you would have thought we were bothering the staff. Our reservation was found and we had a room.

Restaurant was good for both breakfast and evening snacks. Lobby is very inviting and comfortable.

Rooms... were recently updated but its difficult to transform an old hotel. Bathroom tile grout was falling off into the tub during a shower. Space is very small and tight in both the room and bathroom.

"Bayside Mall" directly across the street was nice to have as was the location for an early morning run.

There are many other options to stay pre-cruise. No need to stay right here on the port. Cab rides are minimal from anywhere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear irunforlife,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your compliments regarding our restaurant and lobby.

On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the poor experience and dissatisfaction you had with our staff. Additionally, I am truly sorry for the shortcomings in your room.

Your comments are important to the success of our organization, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. Rest assured that your comments will be used to reconsider improvements. We hope that you can give us another chance so we can show you what we have done.

Dhan M
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had a great first time stay at this hotel prior to our cruise in January. Hotel & room was very clean, bed was comfortable and service was good. The room is quite large and had all the usual amenities. Was disappointed we didn't get a newspaper in the morning. Speaking of the morning, we had the breakfast buffet and the fresh OJ in the hotel. I did think that was a little overpriced for what it was. They did have free wi-fi which was nice.

The location of the hotel is great as it's just across the road from the Bayside marketplace and half a block from the Metro Mover.

As we are priority club members we received 2 free drinks which we enjoyed in the bar just before going out for dinner. It was nice way to relax after our flight. As Bayside is so close, we went across there for dinner and shopping. It's not that good for shopping and the restaurants are just so-so. But we did enjoy sitting up on the blacony overlooking the harbor having our dinner.

The location is good to take the metro mover (just behind the hotel) to anywhere in downtown Miami. Also close to the the waterfront park for a walk after dinner or the next morning before the cruise. It was really easy to get a taxi over to the cruise terminal just outside the hotel. Flat rate 5 min. taxi ride to the cruise terminal is $10 plus tip.

Overall, I didn't expect expect the hotel to be so great considering it is older and primarily caters to the cruise crowd - a pleasant surprise.

The staff were all very pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are better as they overlook the harbor. View from the back isn't so great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
San Marcos, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights last weekend during the Miami boat show. The hotel is older but clean and well maintained. It is right across the street from the bayside Marina and Marketplace. There is also a beautiful park across the street perfect for running along the waterfront. You won't need a car while staying here as there are dozens of good restaurants and shops within a short walk. Rooms are well appointed and the beds are very comfortable. The best thing about this hotel is the staff. Everyone there is genuinely friendly and extremely accomodating. The front desk staff is prompt, courteous and efficient. The concierge desk staff are available all the time, and the restaurant staff are exceptional. We have stayed here several times and have become friends with many of the employees. Thanks to you all, we hope to return soon. Dave & Renee, San Marcos, TX

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the marina.
Ottawa, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Location is very good for a pre-cruise stay. Directly across Bayside and close to port of Miami. The hotel is walking distance to many restaurants, shopping and entertainment. Cab ride from the airport is around $25 and about $10 to the port (flat fee). The facility itself is dated and the rooms need to be upgraded. Although the rooms are kept clean. Staff is friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel specifically for a night before a cruise from the port. Other than that, there are many other "newer" hotels to choose from.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear VTNJ,

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our property being dated. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Omg
Ever been to hotel where you can't drop off your luggage ? This is that place
Come in to register 3 rooms desk person says only one reservation. After ten min of computer tapping they figure it out
No parking!!!! I mean no parking. Rooms pretty gross no refrigerator in standard room and room is kinda blah !
Glad to get out of there!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Tastebuddy12,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us as this is our primary source in improving guest services.

I sincerely apologize for the troubles you have encountered during your visit. I am sorry for the inconvenience you had with your reservation during check in and for the dissatisfaction that some of our amenities have caused you.

I regret that you found these aspects displeasing. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and will be used to reconsider improvements. We all hope that should your travel plans bring you back to our area, you will still give our hotel another try.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!