“Miami Hotel convenient location for Cruise Terminal” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save up to 25%
Ranked #51 of 129 hotels in Miami
Toronto, Canada
“Miami Hotel convenient location for Cruise Terminal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Recently we went on a transatlantic cruise starting from Miami. As we were going to spend a couple of days in Miami before the cruise, we decided - my husband and I, together with another couple - to look for a hotel close to the cruise terminal, but also lighter on the budget than the hotels recommended by the cruise company. We chose Holiday Inn Port of Miami, 340 Biscayne Blvd., 1 877 660-8550, and it was a very good choice.

The hotel is located about 5 minutes drive from the port, and there are always taxis available in front of the hotel. The rooms are comfortable with all necessary amenities, air conditioned, with a large walk-in-closet, coffee machine provided with all necessary ingredients for coffee and ea, and a large screen TV.

The reception staff was curteous and efficient, providing local information and maps. A comfortable and rather large and inviting lounge completed the main floor of the hotel, together with a dining area serving meals and drinks. We only had breakfast there, and we were very pleased with the quality and the service.

We were pleasantly surprised by two unexpected bonuses connected to the location of the hotel, besides the expected one - the proximity to our cruise departure area.

Across the main street bordering the hotel (Biscayne Blvd.) is Bayside Market, a lovely place containing about 100 shops, many restaurants, live entertainment along the open areas, sounds, smells and sights, all against the background of the ocean and the yachts moored everywhere. We spent a lot of time there, having great dinners, shopping for gifts, listening to Latin music, and just people watching. At night, it seems that all Miami comes there to have fun.

The other pleasant surprise was that behind the hotel is the line of the Metromover, a train with no conductor and free (really pleasant surprise), which takes you through the "inner loop" of the city, as well as through two other lines going in different directions. We spent a few hours just travelling and sightseeing from the comfort of the Metromover, and also had a chance to meet and converse with locals and get more information. The train has many stops and also connects to the subway and bus lines.

We definitely recommend this hotel to anyone planning a cruise from Miami, or just wanting to get a fairly inexpensive but good quality hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: The rooms we had were "queen size beds", and apparently all these rooms open to the back...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

1,187 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

Very good hotel, nice people, nice price, near to to the atractions. Very clean, a strange bellring but nice.

New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here before a cruise, our first time in Miami. We were pleasantly surprised, the location was perfect, the hotel was beautiful, our room was clean and quiet and we were directly across the street from the Bayside Marketplace which was a great place to visit.

Room Tip: Our room was at the back of the hotel, overlooking the equipment on the roof. It was as quiet as ca...
manchester, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

The rooms are a little small, but the prices were reasonable and the food was better than I expected. Everyone was friendly and helpful. Parking is right outside and there was a guard. If you want to swim a small pool was just out back with nice, not great decor. I was previously staying at the Intercontienental and I preferred the HI. Would recommend and will return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Highly recommended.
Room: King Suite (at good price!) – amazing port view, spacious, clean.
Hotel: perfect location for cruisers and Bayside Marketplace – full of restaurants, bars and shops.
Service: check-in and check-out very fast, good customer service from reception, cleaners, bar, dining room.
Internet: free wi-fi.

Room Tip: King Suite - reasonable price and good quality (high floor, spacious)
Spring, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

The positive- the location is across the street from an outdoor area that has great food, live music, shopping and on the water (bay). As a female, traveling alone, the location to the entertainment was nice. Bonus- night I was solo- there was a Heat game, so there was all kinds of police out. Trade Winds (bar/restaurant in the plaza) is a great place to chill by the water and grab a tropical rum drink.

Now- the rest of the story....
Customer Service- it was horrible. I wasn't expecting a 5 star experience- it is a Holiday Inn- but I was expecting something more than the rude, disinterested service I found in both the front desk and onsite restaurant. One of the things I realized, even if you are dining solo- gratuity is included on the bill. So one conclusion I made re: the service is they don't care because no matter what, they get a little "something extra". However- if the service had been even somewhat good- I would have paid the server more gratuity. (SIDE NOTE: I found the customer service to be spotty in the restaurants on the water. I did have some great servers- then I had some that were "disinterested" in serving you.) The hotel front desk- they did their job, but if you had a question, or needed something repeated (due to heavy accent or hard of hearing) you almost got an eye roll. It's hard to put into words- but I just got the feeling they didn't want to be "bothered." One example- as I was checking out, I noted that the connecting door and lock were very loose- if someone wanted to use a little bit of muscle the door could have been pushed opened easily. When I told the lady at the front desk, her facial expression and verbal response made it appear as if I had bothered her by this information.

The room: I had read on trip advisor about the construction and the hotel even mentioned it on the handout provided at check in- but I didn't see any. I asked about the room renovations and asked if my room was one that was renovated. They assured me it was. Well- all I have to say is they need to ask for a refund. I stayed in a double bed room on the 7th floor, which did not have a view of the bay. It was a bit oddly shaped and had an odor (the entire hotel had an odor- kind of like mold) The mattress was not that comfortable- it was if they never turn them. It appeared "clean" yet it didn't "feel" clean. The carpet seemed like it was not vacuumed- and I never did feel comfortable getting under the blankets and sheets. In the bathroom, the towels were stiff from being washed with a heavy detergent and I found someone else's hairs (gross!!) in two places- the sink and on the edge of the tub where the shower liner was located.

Other- there was no information about Miami in the room (although I found a booklet on a table outside the elevator.)

Safety- as I had seen mentioned on this site- anyone can get access to the rooms- including restaurant marketing folks. The hotel does not discourage this practice, because they talk about it in the information sheet I was provided at check in. This just gave the hotel the "creepy" factor.

Why did I stay there??- I was on a business trip, it was one of the suggested hotel's (the other 2 were booked) and it was close to my meeting. Would I stay there again- NO!!!!!

Room Tip: See notes above about my room experience.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown, responded to this review, June 1, 2012
Dear MandCtravel_11,

Thank you for your recent correspondence on Tripadvisor. I greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced during your recent experience with us.

We are always pleased to receive areas for development of such a positive nature. Your comments will be shared with our entire staff, as reinforcement to continue their efforts to make the Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown a leader in excellence.

Once again, thank you for your thoughtful comments. We look forward to the opportunity of serving you in the future. Thank you for choosing Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown.

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is great. It has excellent transport links. We were able to get to the cruise port, South Beach and Miami Zoo with ease from here by bus or metro. Its is opposite a nice shopping area with restaurants, a pier and a few fair rides and petting area for small kids.

I booked a 'room only' stay here for myself and the children and was unexpectedly surprised when I entered a warm, spacious, clean room, with a selection of different pillows on a huge comfy bed and a large sofa bed. Breakfast was great especially because the kids ate for free each morning. I couldn't ask for more. Great value.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Port of Miami Downtown? Share your experiences!