“Worse place I have ever stayed at” 1 of 5 stars

Miami River Inn
118 S.W. South River Dr., Miami, FL 33130 (Little Havana)   |
Ranked #96 of 130 hotels in Miami
Hummelstown
“Worse place I have ever stayed at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I checked in the evening of October 18th and the Inn looked abandoned (sign was hanging and some letters were missing). There were more than 100 stray cats outside of this location. When I initially entered, the place smelled like urine. No TV in the room. When the 17 year old girl who was at the desk showed us the pool area (mold all around it along with the hot tub) and the eating kitchen where the continental breakfast would be served had huge ants outside the door and crawling up the wall. My son and I went for a walk that evening to look for a store and one block up there was hobo taking a bath down to his underwear with a water jug. The area was not a good area. The next morning when I woke up there was a milipede (looked like a small snake) in the shower. I did not sleep under the bedding because at this point I was scared. There were repairs in the wall that needed badly repaired. I was disappointed and I did not sleep that night. I hope things improve for any future guests!!

Room Tip: Repair inside and out, Get rid of the bugs. Cannot change the location which is not good.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The B&B is located in 'Little Havana' in Miami it is surrounded by an iron fence and you must call someone to unlock the pad lock so you can get in when you first arrive. After that you have a key and have to get out of the car, unlock the padlock drive your car through and get out of the car to lock it again. The area is very rough with gang graffiti on the street signs, so its not a great feeling being outside of your car at night. My first room had carpenter ants crawling on the walls and floor, so I was moved to a second room. I felt itchy during the night and the next morning I found a small, brown, hard shelled bug in my bed. A further search of the mattress revealed no infestations, but I was still upset, the Manager said he would investigate. They moved me to a third room, spent the 2nd night in that room and was awaken at 4:00A.M. by cats fighting outside my window. The property contains many stray and sick looking cats wondering around. I did not see any cats inside the Inn, but saw cat hair and fur balls on the carpet. The place needs a great deal of cleaning, maintenance and better management. I would never recommend this Inn as a place to stay no matter what the price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Ok Ive read several several reviews and am alittle disappointed in some of the reasons that people wouldnt stay here again. I actually live a few blocks away and stay here as an escape to the busy city life....For those who say the neighborhood is "rough" are probably little rich people who get scared of their own shadow, the homeless people outside are usually extremely drunk and can barely stand up half the time and if you give them a dollar they make sure no one messes with your car (i buy a six pack and let them share it) they watch my car.....the lobster/crab shack across the street has an opening next to it to go to a nice sitting area that you can see the river or you can go like a block away to the park which the whole thing sits on the river theres a bar/grill a few blocks down (finnegans on the river) very nice place to hang out when not at the inn. i agree the breakfast sucks but HELLO YOUR IN MIAMI great food everywhere! the people who cant look past the "cats" and extremely old building should have just spent the money the obviously have instead of trying to be cheap and then crying that the place isnt what the expected!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We arrived late in the evening and were ready for a good night sleep. Unfortunately, when we got to our room and sat down we were attacked by fleas, not just one or two but a bunch. We did manage to get moved to another room in another building and only killed a few fleas - probably on our clothes from that first room.

This place is dirty, carpets stained, crud on the floors and corners in the bathroom, light bulbs missing from the lamps and cracked walls and ceilings, not to mention the traffic from the elevated bridge right outside our window - 15 feet...

Breakfast left a lot to be desired - generic yogurt, rcie crispies and corn flakes, big bowl of grape jelly, no jam, marmalade, etc. Got to say that the home made nut bread was pretty good. Cats were everywhere - rubbing all over us when we were outside eating breakfast.

Bottom line, we got what we paid for. We should have paid an additional $10 for a hotel.

Room Tip: try a different location
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

If you are looking for somewhere different away from South Beach and like funky vintage then this is a great place to stay. It's helpful if you have a navigation system as it's a little tough to find at night. Old fashioned charm and a real historic group of buildings which is very rare these days. Beautiful grounds in a compound which is safe as you are near a very poor neighborhood. Never had a problem over the several years I've stayed there.
Why pay $300 a night when you can stay in Miami for half that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

After the crowds, traffic, and noise around Miami, the Miami River Inn was a wonderful surprise! Set into a lively neighborhood and close to the Miami River, with a park nearby and some very good restaurants within walking distance, the Inn is a quiet oasis of older, well kept buildings surrounding a lush tropical garden. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, our rooms were well appointed, comfortable, and clean, the kids loved chasing lizards around the grounds, and the cats reminded us of Hemingway's Key West. Though full, as evidenced by the number of guests (from around the US and the world!) that we met either at the lovely breakfast served in the garden or later in the day during our daily swim in the pool, we felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Thanks to the staff for their recommendations, as the eating establishments and activities suggested only added to our visit. Walking over the drawer bridge and traveling on the "people-mover" (worth the ride just for the sights, particularly the lights of the city at night) added to our fun and we would have missed both (and a few great meals) without their suggestions. We will definately visit again.... we loved it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We thought it was like crashing at your crazy aunt's house...when she's out of town. It's a kooky joint and felt pretty deserted when we were there. And I don't mean just a lack of other guests. No one seem to work there either.

What made all the quirkiness acceptable for us was the price we got. It was the most affordable option in downtown Miami.

Ok, it is not a deluxe experience, but heck if it wasn't memorable. From reading other reviews I think maybe we lucked out that someone was actually there to check us in. Check-in was kinda scattered and the manager (the crazy aunt) came out of her office and complained that we were supposed to be there a day earlier. I reminded her I had changed my reservation via email and she had confirmed the change. As soon as I said that she remembered the exchange, but did not apologize for accusing me. (like a crazy aunt)

Our house (the Flager) had at least a dozen rooms. It was obviously empty except for us, but Crazy Aunt said it was full. (So odd to lie about that.) It's decorated in early creepy. Which we found amusing more than bothersome. Maybe it only seems creepy because the place was so vast and so devoid of other guests. Make sure you explore the whole house...after dark if you can. :) We loved reading all the encyclopedias from the 70's. (I forgot that the big environmental worry in the '76 was the looming ice age...guess we took care of that in short order.)

Bed was very nice. Loved the twenty year-old sloppy high-flow shower head. Gallons per second.

I had some questions for the Crazy Aunt, but couldnt raise anyone on the phone. I remembered how easy it was to contact her via email before we came so I sent an email and got a nice response fairly quickly.

She gave me the emergency after-hours contact phone number which other reviewers seem to have wished they had as well. (It's not posted anywhere on the property that we could find.) Unfortunately you have to dial it from a house phone - 320 - so if you aren't in a building I don't know what your options would be.

The surrounding neighborhood comes alive with families and pretty decent folk after dark. Sort of opposite of what I expected. The park nearby was loaded with little kids, exercise classes and other lively activity once the sun went down. I felt absolutely comfortable walking down the main streets at night with my husband. Alone would have been a bit daunting. (Go for a drink at Tabacco Road less than a mile away - oldest liquor license in Miami.)

The breakfast is pretty lame, but very tidy. With such great food and coffee awaiting us in Miami, breakfast at the inn was not a priority anyway.

Oh, almost forgot the cats! (This adds to my Crazy Aunt theory.) I don't hate cats, but I'm not a cat person either. A couple of cats don't even get my attention, but the place is over-run with six-toed, brain-damaged zombie cats. Many places around the property reeked of cat urine, too.

Overall you can get a decent experience here if you keep your sense of humor high and your expectations low. You'll never forget your stay, that's for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami River Inn? Share your experiences!