“Here now” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #96 of 130 hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“Here now”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I am here at the Miami River Inn right now as I am writing this. Of course this is not the Taj Mahal - it is not intended to be. There is nothing wrong with it however ! It is just like so many other B&B type establishments that are often referred to as "quaint" - having "character" - "shabby chic" - etc etc.

If it were in Key West or Coconut Grove it would no doubt get constant praise.

Take it from someone who has traveled around the world MANY times. . . it is clean, comfortable, and a perfectly viable option. Old - yes. . . that is part of the appeal.

I hesitate to recommend it - but only because tend to want to save it for myself and my closest friends. . .

If you want a Front Desk that is manned 24 hours a day - then of course go to the Holiday Inn / or similar.

Room Tip: I was in Room 12
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

107 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Upon my second visit I realized this is my fav staycation place. Nestled by the Miami River and featured in the movie "Marley and Me" it is a hidden gem. Gated among the banyan trees there are several buildings circling the property. The staff is helpful and kind. Huge swimming pool and yard in the middle. Very economical and able to park car safely while cruising out of the Port of Miami. Also, on the National Historic Register. Check it out on your next trip to Miami.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I went to the Miami River Inn to stay Friday thru Sunday. When I first went there I thought that Expedia made a mistake. I arrived at about 9:50pm. The neighborhood was dark and scary. The place has a black gate around the hotel. I felt like I had to keep looking over my shoulder for fear that someone would mug me on my way to the black gate. You can't just walk in either. You have to ring the bell which is located on the left side. As you go up the steps you see skinny cats and there about 3 or 4 of them. There was trash on the inside of the gate around the back.

The place looks old and it smells like old furniture that's been sitting in storage. It's very stuffy in there and dusty. I felt trapped like I couldn't breath. The guy shows me to my room which is located in another building. The furniture is out dated, the quilts had stains on it, and the bed is uncomfortable. There were little ants all on my sink, the shower was absolutely disgusting and there were dead ants in the corner of the shower. There was a dead bug under my bed. I refused to lay in the bed for fear of bed bugs. The TV was old and dusty and there was no remote.

I went back to the front desk to see if I could change rooms and no one was there. There was a sign that read if I needed assistance to call 320 which I did numerous times and I got no answer. When I wanted to leave I couldn't because my car was locked in the gate and once again no one was there to let me out. I wound up staying with a friend that night and the next day I went to check out even though I paid $227.78 for 2 days.

I explained to the guy that the hotel was unsatisfactory and also tried to explain why. He acted as if he didn't care about what I had to say, got nasty with me, and cursed me. When I demanded that I speak to his manager he said he wasn't there and that I could reach him through email only. I called expedia and complained of the nastiness at the hotel and how the staff were very rude.

Do yourself a favor don't waste your money here. You'll be sorry you did.

Room Tip: " Don't look back"
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

So when you go to Miami you expect art deco hotels (probably a little over priced), places like the Delano and then a few hostels scattered about. Miami River Inn is a little touch of something else. Its more like a Bed and Breakfast/Guest House in many ways. Its a small collection of large historic houses all on the same grounds. Coupled with the amazing weather in Miami, it gives a colonial/tropical feel. Each room is individual and kitted out in a kitch fashion, an earlier time period than art deco. Its large enough that they have room for a good few guests but small enough that that it still keeps that personal touch. A brilliant example is this is when we arrived we were greeted by the owner and Norman the dog (cute 8 year old). She had time to shoot the breeze with us whilst I rubbed Norman's belly. I hadn't read up on it before hand but its a 'green' hotel which I was also impressed with as so much in Miami is about excess. Before you ask, no it doesn't mean dirty sheets or baths, it just means being conscientiousness as a hotel in some of their choices. And this relaxed, well meaning attitude resonates through out the hotel. Its like going round to your favourite aunt's house. A warm and caring reception. I don't want to give the wrong impression here, they do the things I feel are necessary in a hotel these days. They are organised, clean, have wi fi, AC, private parking, pool... but they do what the bigger (and even some of the smaller chains) Hotels forget/miss out on and that's personalty and real care. Wish we'd come across this place sooner. My friends and I loved it. Its not the Ritz and I'm glad of it.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Charleston, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

My daughter-in-law booked this B&B because we needed a place we could park a boat trailer and she likes B&Bs. They arrived early in the day but we arrived late at night only to see a bunch of homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks less than 2 blocks away. The property has a high fence around it but is in a sketchy area. The grounds were nice and tropical and I didn't mind the cats at all, but we heard scratching and squeaking in the ceiling two nights in a row (rats most likely) so we told the front desk and they moved us to another building and a lower floor. They did discount our bill because of the rat problem but I would not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
ft myers
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I have to agree with everything the previous reviewer said. The place is not as it is shown on the website. I like cats but the multitude of dirty skinny ones hanging around this place is out of control. Most of the grounds smelt like an unemptied litter box. Even if I had time on my trip to hang out at the pool or hot tub I would not have for this reason alone. The grounds were a mess with a lot of junk around some of the buildings and when I got back to the Inn on my first day they had all thier laundry hanging all over the courtyard. The location is in a rough area, you still do not feel secure even behind the tall iron fence and cannot go out for a walk.
The room was ok and the shower very good but the towels and washclothes were a a stained, overused mess. I booked a room with a queen bed with an advertized rate of $169 per night, the bed in the room may have qualified as a queen 30 years ago but not now. The legal notice on the back of the room door stated the maximum rate as $149 per night. the advertized rate for a full size. Hmmm. I got nowhere asking the owner about this. I don't expect all the mod cons in a quaint B and B but the 12 inch antique Tv with a non working remote was not good. Overall a bad experience I would not repeat, A shame as the place could be so much better with a few changes.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Kalamazoo, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2011

The Miami River Inn was not at all what we expected. According the the hotel's website, the hotel appeared charming, clean, and comfortable. Upon arrival, we were disappointed that the surrounding area had us feeling unsafe and uncomfortable. The entire premise was unkept and dirty in appearance. There are some people who appear to live permanently on the property. There were many, many cats roaming all around the property. Our room was not very nice at all. It was not like the rooms that were pictured on the website. The shower was dirty with someone's long hairs in the bottom of it! There was central air that could not be controlled from our room. The room felt so dirty. The pillows were so old and had brown stained spots on them. The bed was so uncomfortable. We had to ask for an iron, ironboard, hair dryer, and extra rolls of toilet paper from the front desk since they were not automatically located in the room. There was no coffeemaker. Since it was a Bed & Breakfast, breakfast was included which consisted of breads, juices, yogurt, etc. (with gnats flying around the food). Not a hot breakfast as we had expected. One of the part-owners was not friendly to us at all and seemed to be bothered by our staying there. We have stayed at many hotels varying in price and quality. If this hotel had been clean and in a good neighborhood, we would have been satisfied for the price we paid. Overall, our experience at the Miami River Inn was uncomfortable and had us feeling unsafe in the surrounding neighborhood. We would not recommend others to stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

Been to Miami River Inn? Share your experiences!