“Scam city” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 130 hotels in Miami
Cambridge Ontario Canada
“Scam city”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We booked 2 nights at Motel Blu Feb.15 &16, 2013. I e-mailed and phoned explainingm that we would be arriving about 6:30 am on the 16th and would expect a room as we reserved for 2 nights. we were 4 sharing a room.
When we arrived we were told we didn't book properly. I showed my confirmation and the clerk said she would accommodate us in 2 separate rooms and we would have to move by 9:30 into a room for 4. We asked when checkout time was and were advised 11 am. We were wakened at 9:30 and told to move. I asked "to where"? No reply. I went back to bed. They came back at 10. Same thing.
Our friends woke us at 12:30 mas they had moved at 9:30 into the larger room but couldn't sleep. Again staff told us we were lucky to be accommodated.
I believe they rented out our room to collect the fee twice. Whether that is management policy or unscrupulous staff, I can't say.
When we requested they book a taxi to the cruise port thee next morning, the night clerk told us the phone number we had didn't serve our area. She called another who said they wouldn't come before 11 because it was too early. She did say 4 people with 4 suitcases.
He arrived at 10:45 with the same make of car that brought us from the airport but for some reason the luggage wouldn't fit. We suggested that it was his cousin at the desk, which he denied ut offered to go home and get his. Could it have been the sight of 2 other guests standing at the curb with luggage? He offered to go get his van and return. Which he and then charged us all $9 (6 of us) because now he is a shuttle and not a metered taxi ( which should have been $21 according to taxi fare.com
This place should be avoided at all cost!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

343 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Hallandale Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed for a week. Mattresses were filty. Towels were very thin. Never received any service because I didn't want anyone in my room to reduce the chance of getting something stolen. Pool and pool area was clean. Lobby had free coffee available. Enough parking available. Wifi signal was good. Average value for a 1 star motel.

• Stayed March 2013
Bega
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Not worth even opening this page to look at this horrible hotel. Was in a very dodgy area, 2 taxi drivers told us to be safe and stay aware as the area was so unsafe. It is also a $25-$30 taxi ride to Miami Beach or South Beach so you are better spending the extra money on a better hotel closer to the beach. We stayed for one horrible night then left first thing the next morning although we had booked for 5 nights. We went to a new hotel walking distance from the beach for only $30 more a night (worth it when you consider the $60 taxi fare round trip). Breakfast was chocolate covered donuts, and pita bread, not that we ate it, I just saw them on the way out of there. We are not fussy about decor nor does anything have to be modern, but it wasn't the state of the room alone that made us leave (although the window wouldn't close/lock and the floor was dirty) but it was the fact that our room wasn't secure and it felt like every time you stepped out the door, everyone was watching you and your possessions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Yes the pictures are deceiving . We arrived after a long day and the room was not ready even thou front desk thought it was .The rooms have been renovated per say . good space lil fridge ,sink ,bathroom not bad . However fans and air cons are hit or miss . does have a pool and parking . Staff lacking in personality and sense of urgency . Motel has HUGE potential but guess landlord is in it ONLY for the money as its very busy ($101. plus tax anight on expedia ) .
I own a house 4 streets away (rented ) the Neighborhood is not as dangerous as people say but it always pays to be vigilant with your safety. Dont think I would stay here again but I have stayed in worse places

Room Tip: Away from the road as it is BISCAYNE blvd
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesterton, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Pics are very deceiving...had delayed flight arrived at 2 am bad neighborhood, taxi driver didn't want to leave us. No one was in office had to walk around asking where the office person was...well he was upstairs chasing a mouse in one of the rooms. He continued talking to people who LIVE there and left us standing outside with our luggage for another 30 minutes. When we walked in the room I was in tears, was afraid to lay down! 3 flat pillows on the king size bed, broken blinds, broken closet door wouldn't open & close without manually being picked up and moved, 1 working lamp out of 3 with like a 25 watt bulb, no remote, no wash clothes, broken ceiling fan, 1/2 roll of toilet paper (for a 2 day stay). Pic window didn't have a curtin some kinda material thrown over the rod with houses below window. No resturant, drinks, nothing but a pool and a pop machine (no ice). Neighborhood was to shady to feel safe enough to get in the pool...local guys sitting by pool drinking beer. Gentlemans club next door...we actually barricaded our door at night...bathroon was the only room that looked like it did in the pics. This place other then the bathroom hasn't had any work done since the 60's for sure. I verified my shuttle to the port on two differant occasions and when we went to wait, it never came so we had to have the person at the desk call again, she acted very irritated with us that she had to make the call...I give everything the benefit of a doubt but this was really bad..if there was anyway possible we could have left we certainly would have it was a very uncomfortable, scary stay! Good Luck in your search, if you want an enjoyable stay this isn't the place for you!!! Pay the price and go to a name you can trust, I know I will...Lesson Learned!!! At the airport the taxi company never heard of Motel Blu...there's your sign...lol...This is an actual Motel that people pay rent by the week and live there...blankets over the windows...ugggggg

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

If you are seeking for a clean, safe and simple place to stay I can advice you Motel Blu. I spent week overthere (work congress). Every day rooms are cleaned. The motel is situatd central along the Biscayne road ca. 20 minutes cycing to the beach. I spent a week cycling from Motel Blu. Breakfast is simple, but the room has a mag and a fridge. Also is located near little river Canal were you can sea the sea cows (manatees) swimming. The neighbourhood is very friendly and they are used to cyclist commuting. In all an excellent place to stay when visiting Miami! Dr Kenneth..

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I can't begin to list all the reasons - NEVER to stay at this place - but let me make a start

The person at check-in was situated behind a bullet proof screen, which struck me as odd....until I began to notice several young women wearing highly provocative clothing checking in....sans luggage....accompanied by male companions who had obviously just walked off the set of a zombie movie....oh did I mention the trash floating in the unheated swimming pool, that was a nice touch...Pity the poor Euro backpackers who were begging for their money back, after a long haul flight so they could they could find somewhere else....while the person at the desk was laughing in their faces.....oh yes....the free 'continental breakfast'....let me digress to give you some context. I've lived in Europe for over 20 years, so am pretty familiar with what you would normally expect here.....the motel blu version was some mangy bits of white bread, disgusting bathwater like coffee and small dough balls covered in sugar, which I wouldn't feed to a starving animal....On the seedy scale this was a Spinal Tap 11.....our room had previously been broken into as there were loose wooden splinters all around the door lock.....Next door to a night club where.....literally the worst place I think I ever stayed in my whole life.....

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Motel Blu? Share your experiences!