“One of the top reasons to visit Miami is MGFD” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's Genuine Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 3,418 Restaurants in Miami
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: N.E. 1st Avenue & N.E. 2nd Avenue
Transit: Miami Dade Transit Bus Lines # 2, # 3,# 9, # 10, # 36, # 93, # 202, # 236. For detailed route information go to: http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/library/tm_for_web.pdf
Description: Michael’s Genuine Food & Drink is a showcase for the cuisine of Chef/Owner Michael Schwartz, with prices designed to encourage frequent dining. This unpretentious bistro seats 90 indoors and out, with another 14 seats at a handsome bar. Doubling as a casual neighborhood dining spot and a culinary destination, the bright, airy space in Miami’s evolving Design District showcases Schwartz’s trademark new American cuisine at prices designed to encourage frequent dining. Open daily for lunch and dinner, the menu is chock full of choices encouraging everything from a light bite to a multi-course feast. A quick glance at the menu and Michael's intentions for this restaurant are revealed. Notable is the frequency of the word homemade in the descriptions of dishes -- be it pasta, French fries or rabbit terrine. At the same time, Michael's takes advantage of the Chef’s decades-long relationships with winemakers to offer diners the opportunity to try a variety of wines at great value.
chicago
“One of the top reasons to visit Miami is MGFD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have to go to MGFD when I go to Miami. If they had a hotel attached, I would simply stay and eat there every day. Seriously, it's that good. I prefer to sit outside in their beautiful little garden. The Manhattan is the best Manhattan I have had- even the cherries are special. This time we enjoyed the roasted double yolk egg- exquisitely done. Shared the pork shoulder- perfectly tender and flavored- a visual treat of pink and green (parsley sauce and pickled red onions). Sides of wood roasted green beans and fries- both outstanding. Dessert- tangerine pot de creme with buttermilk donuts. Another perfect meal at MGFD!

Visited March 2014

Miami
“Inconsistent based on 2 visits”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Ate at Michael's without a reservation one evening a couple of weeks ago and we were impressed with the food and friendly service and therefore returned with the intention of having lunch a couple of days ago.

Host was unhelpful and unfriendly when I asked for a table for 2 outside, stating nothing was available. When I asked about the empty tables I could see (at least 3), I was told they were reserved (even though they weren't shown as reserved) and that they closed in 30 minutes. I queried how the remaining tables could be reserved if they were closing so soon! I was told we could sit inside which we duly did. It was incredibly noisy inside and after being ignored for a while (no menu or offer to get a drink), we decided to leave. Very disappointing experience on the heels of a very pleasant experience which leads me to believe Michael's is inconsistent.

Ended up having an enjoyable lunch at Mandolin, sitting outside (even though they were busy) with very friendly service.

I seem to be in the minority but I still don't understand all the hype about the Design District and I am amazed designers are leaving long established malls such as Village of Merrick Park and Bal Harbour to open stores in the Design District.

• Visited March 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida, United States
“Amazing !!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

As always, Michael's is one of the best restaurants in Miami, since 2007 we love to eat there.
You can choose small, medium or large plates, very delicious, and you feel comfortable with the perfect staff. Enjoy !!!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
St. Catharines, Canada
“The Food is Excellent but it's too busy to provide good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

My title says it all - really delicious food and drink but the place is so crowded and busy that either the kitchen or the waiters can't keep up although the table was promptly bussed. Watch your wallet - the tab can mount up quite quickly because everything sounds AND TASTES wonderful: here's our meal: two glasses of white for uxor at 10 and 14 respectively. I had two bourbon Manhattans at 13 each. We shared two sides, duck rillettes at 7 and hominy at 8 -- that was great! - they're like deep-fried but soft corn nuts - well worth a taste. She had the beet and tomato salad at 16 and I had the bib lettuce at 13 - it had a lovely subtle vinaigrette - then we shared two medium sized dishes - the first was pork belly and kimchi - it was spectacular - and a fish dish that was merely good. - we also ordered a side of brussel sprouts that was good but unnecessary - too much food - $175 all in. They have small, medium and large plates. One medium or a couple of small is plenty - the rest is merely gluttony because everything is so tasty.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The best food in Miami!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

If your a foodie, this is the place to go! I wish I would have eaten here every night during my stay.

Visited February 2014