“Relaxing and Invigorating” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Miami River Hotel

You added Historic Miami River Hotel to your Saves list
Historic Miami River Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   437 SW 2nd Street, Miami, FL 33130 (Formerly Miami River Inn)   |
Ranked #3 of 22 Miami B&B and Inns
pennsylvania
“Relaxing and Invigorating”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

This is a great alternative to staying at a busy, anonymous hotel. The property is lovely and well tended. The rooms are comfortable and affordable. I have stayed there the past two years. The staff is friendly and helpful. The property is near a large park where wonderful festivals and events are held. It has easy access to the highways, downtown and public transportation to get around. The hotel has a nice pool, breakfast room and grounds. They have private parking for your vehicle and the property is gated and locked. I felt safe at all times. One of the best things about the hotel is all of the friendly, international guests I've met. On my recent stay I met people from Japan, South America, Sweden and Israel as well as American guests from Orlando, Colorado, Texas and New York.

• Disliked — It's a Inn or B&B so they only provide breakfast. You need transporation to get other meals for the day.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2007

The Miami River Inn is located across the river from downtown. It is convenient if you are going to the Seybold building for business, but NOT on a cruise. The Inn bills itself as a Bed and Breakfast, but then informs you that 'breakfast" begins at 8:30AM, well after the time any business traveler would need to be served. No accomodations were made for business travelers (no coffee, cold rolls, no alarm clocks in the rooms.)

The room was small, the matress was cheap and uncomfortable. The linens (bedspread) was old and pilled.

The attendant was pleasant, but next time I will stay in a hotel. There are no restaurants close, no breakfast, and not even an alarm clock in the room. No one to give a wake up call. Definately NOT for the business traveler.

You must park your car behind large iron gates (you are given a key). While I was told it was safe, I didn't feel so. It appears to be in a complex with apartments and not just Inn guests.

• Liked — close to town
  • Disliked — no amenities, no breakfast, no alarm clock, old mattresses
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Wa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

This was the worst hotel I have ever been in. On our arrival, my friend and I noticed it looked nothing like the pictures online. The hotel is in fact in Little Havana!!! The guy at the desk was pleasant and showed us too our room. Once in our room we looked it over and realized that the shower was the hand held kind that fit into a holder on the wall. Only problem the holder on the wall was broken. The beds were dirty, there were cobwebs everywhere, and the room was so dusty it was hard to breathe.

We asked to be moved to a different room. It was obvious that the man at the counter was very agitated with us, but he moved us to another room.

This next room looked better, so we decided to just relax and watch TV. My friend went in to take a shower. A couple of seconds into getting ready for the shower, she says "what kind of bugs are these?" Now having recently lived in Florida, when someone says bug, you know what it is. But I went in and looked just to be sure, and yes it was. There were roaches in the bathtub. Now anyone who knows about roaches in the south, knows that the only ones you really have to worry about are the little ones that infest. Well that is what they were.

Immediately we called another hotel, got a room reserved and then called a cab. The man at the desk refused to give us our money back, and insisted that the situation was ridiculous. I assured him that even having to have this conversation was, in fact, ridiculous and I was very disappointed in the service and accommodations. I handed him our key and explained that we had arranged other accommodations. He agreed that it was best if we left.

I will never visit the Miami River Inn again!!!

• Liked — I did not like anything. It was the most horrible hotel experience of I have ever had.
  • Disliked — Everything from the cobwebs to the roaches.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I guess the the Miami River Inn is a decent place for short stays for budget-conscious travelers who don't intend to spend too much time in their hotel room.

When we arrived in the hotel, we were very disappointed by our room which was neither pretty nor comfortable. In any case, the room we were assigned did not look at all similar to the rooms which the Miami River Inn advertises on its website (see attached photos). Moreover, as the River Inn was fully booked, it was not possible for us to get another, better room so we decided to check out early.

Apart from the lack of comfort, for the rest, our stay was not too bad and the breakfast in the garden is very nice.

However, please be aware that this bed and breakfast is not very centrally located and you really need a car to get around. Also, driving back to the Inn during the night I did not have the impression that this property is located in a very safe neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

We recently stayed at the Miami River Inn for one night before leaving on a cruise. I would definitely recommend it and would love to go back again. After reading the mix of previous reviews, and considering how much lower the cost was to stay here, I wasn't sure what to expect. We were more than satisfied.

We drove down from Fort Lauderdale and found it very easy to locate. Also appreciated the off-street locked parking lot.

It's like being in your own little gated community within the big city when you stay at the Inn. The yard and pool area are very lovely. The hot tub is the hottest I think I've ever been in. We didn't get in until after 9:00pm and it was nice too still be able to use it as late as we wanted. I don't know if anyone else was in our house because I could not hear any noise during the night. Some people may prefer the sameness of chain hotels but we loved the homeiness of our room. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. All the staff and the other guests that were staying there were very friendly.

Some of the other reviewers had concerns about the neighborhood. We went out for a walk around the area after 10:00pm and did not ever feel concerned about our safety. Granted, this was on a Friday night and there were so many other people out and about. It may be different on a weekday.

I can't wait to go back again. Next time we'll stay for more than one night.

• Liked — Overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the Miami River Inn and we found it to be a lovely, peaceful oasis in the hubbub of Miami. The surroundings were lovely and the room was clean and cozy. We are experienced with bed and breakfast inns and this one was very nice. A wonderful cat greeted us and made us feel welcome ; Karen at the front desk was highly attentive and helpful to us. All in all a fine stay in a fine inn.

• Liked — unique setting, buildings
  • Disliked — needs some updates- plumbing, etc
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I wrote the following review last year and I stand by it. We stayed here again this year and we were just as satisfied as in years past.

We have been returning to the Miami River Inn for so many years, we can't not remember exactly how many. Its the only place in Miami I would consider staying. The courtyard is sublime, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and Jane and Carlos take good care of us. We have brought friends with us on several occasions and they have also been satisfied. Some of the other reviews have described the neighborhood as dangerous and seedy. No city neighborhood is completely safe, but I do not feel particularly threatened in this one. If you are the type of person who likes the anonymous amenities of a large, modern hotel, this inn is not for you; but this little piece of old Miami is perfect for those of us who value historic properties.

• Liked — It is a piece of by-gone old Miami.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Historic Miami River Hotel? Share your experiences!