“A nice place for budget conscious traveller with a car” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Miami River Hotel

You added Historic Miami River Hotel to your Saves list
Historic Miami River Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   437 SW 2nd Street, Miami, FL 33130 (Formerly Miami River Inn)   |
Ranked #4 of 21 Miami B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A nice place for budget conscious traveller with a car”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2007

I guess the the Miami River Inn is a decent place for short stays for budget-conscious travelers who don't intend to spend too much time in their hotel room.

When we arrived in the hotel, we were very disappointed by our room which was neither pretty nor comfortable. In any case, the room we were assigned did not look at all similar to the rooms which the Miami River Inn advertises on its website (see attached photos). Moreover, as the River Inn was fully booked, it was not possible for us to get another, better room so we decided to check out early.

Apart from the lack of comfort, for the rest, our stay was not too bad and the breakfast in the garden is very nice.

However, please be aware that this bed and breakfast is not very centrally located and you really need a car to get around. Also, driving back to the Inn during the night I did not have the impression that this property is located in a very safe neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2007
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2007

We recently stayed at the Miami River Inn for one night before leaving on a cruise. I would definitely recommend it and would love to go back again. After reading the mix of previous reviews, and considering how much lower the cost was to stay here, I wasn't sure what to expect. We were more than satisfied.

We drove down from Fort Lauderdale and found it very easy to locate. Also appreciated the off-street locked parking lot.

It's like being in your own little gated community within the big city when you stay at the Inn. The yard and pool area are very lovely. The hot tub is the hottest I think I've ever been in. We didn't get in until after 9:00pm and it was nice too still be able to use it as late as we wanted. I don't know if anyone else was in our house because I could not hear any noise during the night. Some people may prefer the sameness of chain hotels but we loved the homeiness of our room. The bathroom was very spacious and clean. All the staff and the other guests that were staying there were very friendly.

Some of the other reviewers had concerns about the neighborhood. We went out for a walk around the area after 10:00pm and did not ever feel concerned about our safety. Granted, this was on a Friday night and there were so many other people out and about. It may be different on a weekday.

I can't wait to go back again. Next time we'll stay for more than one night.

• Liked — Overall atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
baltimore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

My husband and I just returned from the Miami River Inn and we found it to be a lovely, peaceful oasis in the hubbub of Miami. The surroundings were lovely and the room was clean and cozy. We are experienced with bed and breakfast inns and this one was very nice. A wonderful cat greeted us and made us feel welcome ; Karen at the front desk was highly attentive and helpful to us. All in all a fine stay in a fine inn.

• Liked — unique setting, buildings
  • Disliked — needs some updates- plumbing, etc
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2007

I wrote the following review last year and I stand by it. We stayed here again this year and we were just as satisfied as in years past.

We have been returning to the Miami River Inn for so many years, we can't not remember exactly how many. Its the only place in Miami I would consider staying. The courtyard is sublime, the rooms are comfortable and clean, and Jane and Carlos take good care of us. We have brought friends with us on several occasions and they have also been satisfied. Some of the other reviews have described the neighborhood as dangerous and seedy. No city neighborhood is completely safe, but I do not feel particularly threatened in this one. If you are the type of person who likes the anonymous amenities of a large, modern hotel, this inn is not for you; but this little piece of old Miami is perfect for those of us who value historic properties.

• Liked — It is a piece of by-gone old Miami.
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

The pictures on the website are nothing like what the Miami River Inn really looks like. This was our first time staying at a bed and breakfast and we were not impressed to say the least. Upon entering the room, the first thing we noticed were the dirty and stained pillows and bedspread. When we asked for more pillows and blankets, we were told they would see if they had any more available! The beds were like laying on concrete; I could barely make it down the stairs in the morning! Also, the website lists that they have internet access and since I needed it to complete research, I called to make sure they did. When we got there, I was told I had to go down to the pool to pick up a signal from another hotel in the area! There was no way I would sit out by the pool in a neighborhood like that even with the wrought iron fence surrounding the place! That's false advertising! The lady at the front desk was friendly and helpful when we asked about restaurants and other places in the area, but it did not make up for this dirty and creepy place.

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2006

A cluster of houses surrounds a pool with a tropical garden - oasis-like in downtown Miami. The breakfasts were uninspiring, but the wonderful room, pleasant and accommodating staff, and security with the gated premises and parking lot more than made up for them. The houses are quaint but our room and bath (in the main house) were very roomy and came with a separate outside porch leading to the interior courtyard and pool. Breakfast can be eaten in the breakfast room or outside in the courtyard - the best choice. Old-fashioned - but pleasant, clean, and very relaxing. Our room also had a ceiling fan which was in use most of the time. If you are a light sleeper, it may take you a day or two to get used to the trains, planes and automobiles - but that's Miami! My wife and I stayed a week. I wish it could have been two! Much better than any hotel!

• Stayed April 2006
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

The Miami River Inn may truly be the only bed and breakfast in Miami, but that does NOT make it a nice place to stay. Upon arrival, I was quick to notice that the Inn is centrally located in the middle of the ghetto in downtown Miami. The entire Inn is enclosed with an ugly fence to keep out the "street people." Yes, the room rates may be tempting, but the accomodations are lacking and your surroundings could be dangerous. Do not believe what you see on the Inn's website. It looks nothing like the pictures. I cannot emphasize that enough. Take my advice, find a different place to stay--even if it requires additional money!

• Stayed April 2006

Been to Historic Miami River Hotel? Share your experiences!