“To clear things up!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Miami River Hotel

You added Historic Miami River Hotel to your Saves list
Historic Miami River Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   437 SW 2nd Street, Miami, FL 33130 (Formerly Miami River Inn)   |
Ranked #3 of 22 Miami B&B and Inns
Miami, Florida
“To clear things up!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

Ok Ive read several several reviews and am alittle disappointed in some of the reasons that people wouldnt stay here again. I actually live a few blocks away and stay here as an escape to the busy city life....For those who say the neighborhood is "rough" are probably little rich people who get scared of their own shadow, the homeless people outside are usually extremely drunk and can barely stand up half the time and if you give them a dollar they make sure no one messes with your car (i buy a six pack and let them share it) they watch my car.....the lobster/crab shack across the street has an opening next to it to go to a nice sitting area that you can see the river or you can go like a block away to the park which the whole thing sits on the river theres a bar/grill a few blocks down (finnegans on the river) very nice place to hang out when not at the inn. i agree the breakfast sucks but HELLO YOUR IN MIAMI great food everywhere! the people who cant look past the "cats" and extremely old building should have just spent the money the obviously have instead of trying to be cheap and then crying that the place isnt what the expected!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We arrived late in the evening and were ready for a good night sleep. Unfortunately, when we got to our room and sat down we were attacked by fleas, not just one or two but a bunch. We did manage to get moved to another room in another building and only killed a few fleas - probably on our clothes from that first room.

This place is dirty, carpets stained, crud on the floors and corners in the bathroom, light bulbs missing from the lamps and cracked walls and ceilings, not to mention the traffic from the elevated bridge right outside our window - 15 feet...

Breakfast left a lot to be desired - generic yogurt, rcie crispies and corn flakes, big bowl of grape jelly, no jam, marmalade, etc. Got to say that the home made nut bread was pretty good. Cats were everywhere - rubbing all over us when we were outside eating breakfast.

Bottom line, we got what we paid for. We should have paid an additional $10 for a hotel.

Room Tip: try a different location
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

If you are looking for somewhere different away from South Beach and like funky vintage then this is a great place to stay. It's helpful if you have a navigation system as it's a little tough to find at night. Old fashioned charm and a real historic group of buildings which is very rare these days. Beautiful grounds in a compound which is safe as you are near a very poor neighborhood. Never had a problem over the several years I've stayed there.
Why pay $300 a night when you can stay in Miami for half that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

After the crowds, traffic, and noise around Miami, the Miami River Inn was a wonderful surprise! Set into a lively neighborhood and close to the Miami River, with a park nearby and some very good restaurants within walking distance, the Inn is a quiet oasis of older, well kept buildings surrounding a lush tropical garden. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, our rooms were well appointed, comfortable, and clean, the kids loved chasing lizards around the grounds, and the cats reminded us of Hemingway's Key West. Though full, as evidenced by the number of guests (from around the US and the world!) that we met either at the lovely breakfast served in the garden or later in the day during our daily swim in the pool, we felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Thanks to the staff for their recommendations, as the eating establishments and activities suggested only added to our visit. Walking over the drawer bridge and traveling on the "people-mover" (worth the ride just for the sights, particularly the lights of the city at night) added to our fun and we would have missed both (and a few great meals) without their suggestions. We will definately visit again.... we loved it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We thought it was like crashing at your crazy aunt's house...when she's out of town. It's a kooky joint and felt pretty deserted when we were there. And I don't mean just a lack of other guests. No one seem to work there either.

What made all the quirkiness acceptable for us was the price we got. It was the most affordable option in downtown Miami.

Ok, it is not a deluxe experience, but heck if it wasn't memorable. From reading other reviews I think maybe we lucked out that someone was actually there to check us in. Check-in was kinda scattered and the manager (the crazy aunt) came out of her office and complained that we were supposed to be there a day earlier. I reminded her I had changed my reservation via email and she had confirmed the change. As soon as I said that she remembered the exchange, but did not apologize for accusing me. (like a crazy aunt)

Our house (the Flager) had at least a dozen rooms. It was obviously empty except for us, but Crazy Aunt said it was full. (So odd to lie about that.) It's decorated in early creepy. Which we found amusing more than bothersome. Maybe it only seems creepy because the place was so vast and so devoid of other guests. Make sure you explore the whole house...after dark if you can. :) We loved reading all the encyclopedias from the 70's. (I forgot that the big environmental worry in the '76 was the looming ice age...guess we took care of that in short order.)

Bed was very nice. Loved the twenty year-old sloppy high-flow shower head. Gallons per second.

I had some questions for the Crazy Aunt, but couldnt raise anyone on the phone. I remembered how easy it was to contact her via email before we came so I sent an email and got a nice response fairly quickly.

She gave me the emergency after-hours contact phone number which other reviewers seem to have wished they had as well. (It's not posted anywhere on the property that we could find.) Unfortunately you have to dial it from a house phone - 320 - so if you aren't in a building I don't know what your options would be.

The surrounding neighborhood comes alive with families and pretty decent folk after dark. Sort of opposite of what I expected. The park nearby was loaded with little kids, exercise classes and other lively activity once the sun went down. I felt absolutely comfortable walking down the main streets at night with my husband. Alone would have been a bit daunting. (Go for a drink at Tabacco Road less than a mile away - oldest liquor license in Miami.)

The breakfast is pretty lame, but very tidy. With such great food and coffee awaiting us in Miami, breakfast at the inn was not a priority anyway.

Oh, almost forgot the cats! (This adds to my Crazy Aunt theory.) I don't hate cats, but I'm not a cat person either. A couple of cats don't even get my attention, but the place is over-run with six-toed, brain-damaged zombie cats. Many places around the property reeked of cat urine, too.

Overall you can get a decent experience here if you keep your sense of humor high and your expectations low. You'll never forget your stay, that's for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Inverness, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I MUST write this after reading Some of the other peoples reviews.
We just finished three days at the Inn, in summary, Exactly what I expected, Exactly what I needed, Exactly what I'd do again and again.
So the furniture is an older style, the bed had a little sag in the middle, WE like it that way (just like home). The bathroom was remodeled in 1960 something, it worked, was clean and an Incredible view of the 1st street draw bridge action.
It was Perfect that we locked our car in a gated lot for every day we were there.We walked into downtown every moment we could over a drawbridge that entertained the heck out of us, We ate, Drank and were very Merry all on foot from that Inn. We rode metromover, 4 blocks from the Inn, to every part of the city. We walked to and fro from the Inn through every neighborhood, feeling very comfortable.
Within 10 blocks of this Inn, IS, everything you can do in Miami to entertain yourself, be entertained and eat like no where else, anywhere.
Very rarely am I this entertained staying in a white box with a balcony. Our stay at this location WILL be repeated, again.
Great Time

Room Tip: River view from the throne was Incredible
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I just finished a work trip staying at the Inn for a week. The Inn has been operating as an Inn since the beginning of Miami, over a 100 years ago and in a sense, it shows. What I mean is that it is an old wood building furnished with antiques, and with all the usual quirky issues of a National Register historic property. I found a couple small places that need touch-up paint, but overall the buildings are in better shape than many of the chains I've stayed in for twice as much.
My room was clean and comfy. My TV was tiny but I didn't visit Miami to watch television; it did suffice to catch up on the weather and the free wi-fi worked well. My shower was hot, and the AC was cold. The pool was very nice, as was the garden and veranda by the breakfast nook, which served homemade nut bread with coffee and fruit and yogurt.
The neighborhood is a working family neighborhood with joggers, fishermen, kids going to school, etc., and several parks within walking distance, but not dangerous by any measure; check with staff about parking options.
Also w/in walking distance (5 min) was Jamon Jamon Jamon, a wonderful tapas bar and restaurant (best anchovies I've ever had!). There is a sports bar/tropical bar on the river with a beautiful view of downtown reflecting on the water. Across the street is a working waterfront for lobster and stone crab, which you can get fresh at Garcia's restaurant over the bridge.
The helpful staff arranged a cab for early in the morning and it took us 15 min to get to the airport. If you want a great location, want great staff, want something pretty and unique, this is it. My nicest visit to Miami so far.

Room Tip: Just ask about the different rooms, there are many options.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to Historic Miami River Hotel? Share your experiences!