“Great B&B away from the hustle and bustle” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Historic Miami River Hotel

Save Saved
You added Historic Miami River Hotel to your Saves list
Historic Miami River Hotel
2.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   437 SW 2nd Street, Miami, FL 33130 (Formerly Miami River Inn)   |
Ranked #6 of 24 Miami B&B and Inns
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great B&B away from the hustle and bustle”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

If you are looking for somewhere different away from South Beach and like funky vintage then this is a great place to stay. It's helpful if you have a navigation system as it's a little tough to find at night. Old fashioned charm and a real historic group of buildings which is very rare these days. Beautiful grounds in a compound which is safe as you are near a very poor neighborhood. Never had a problem over the several years I've stayed there.
Why pay $300 a night when you can stay in Miami for half that.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

125 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Reykjavik, Iceland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 29, 2012

After the crowds, traffic, and noise around Miami, the Miami River Inn was a wonderful surprise! Set into a lively neighborhood and close to the Miami River, with a park nearby and some very good restaurants within walking distance, the Inn is a quiet oasis of older, well kept buildings surrounding a lush tropical garden. We found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, our rooms were well appointed, comfortable, and clean, the kids loved chasing lizards around the grounds, and the cats reminded us of Hemingway's Key West. Though full, as evidenced by the number of guests (from around the US and the world!) that we met either at the lovely breakfast served in the garden or later in the day during our daily swim in the pool, we felt as if we had the place to ourselves. Thanks to the staff for their recommendations, as the eating establishments and activities suggested only added to our visit. Walking over the drawer bridge and traveling on the "people-mover" (worth the ride just for the sights, particularly the lights of the city at night) added to our fun and we would have missed both (and a few great meals) without their suggestions. We will definately visit again.... we loved it!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Denver, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

We thought it was like crashing at your crazy aunt's house...when she's out of town. It's a kooky joint and felt pretty deserted when we were there. And I don't mean just a lack of other guests. No one seem to work there either.

What made all the quirkiness acceptable for us was the price we got. It was the most affordable option in downtown Miami.

Ok, it is not a deluxe experience, but heck if it wasn't memorable. From reading other reviews I think maybe we lucked out that someone was actually there to check us in. Check-in was kinda scattered and the manager (the crazy aunt) came out of her office and complained that we were supposed to be there a day earlier. I reminded her I had changed my reservation via email and she had confirmed the change. As soon as I said that she remembered the exchange, but did not apologize for accusing me. (like a crazy aunt)

Our house (the Flager) had at least a dozen rooms. It was obviously empty except for us, but Crazy Aunt said it was full. (So odd to lie about that.) It's decorated in early creepy. Which we found amusing more than bothersome. Maybe it only seems creepy because the place was so vast and so devoid of other guests. Make sure you explore the whole house...after dark if you can. :) We loved reading all the encyclopedias from the 70's. (I forgot that the big environmental worry in the '76 was the looming ice age...guess we took care of that in short order.)

Bed was very nice. Loved the twenty year-old sloppy high-flow shower head. Gallons per second.

I had some questions for the Crazy Aunt, but couldnt raise anyone on the phone. I remembered how easy it was to contact her via email before we came so I sent an email and got a nice response fairly quickly.

She gave me the emergency after-hours contact phone number which other reviewers seem to have wished they had as well. (It's not posted anywhere on the property that we could find.) Unfortunately you have to dial it from a house phone - 320 - so if you aren't in a building I don't know what your options would be.

The surrounding neighborhood comes alive with families and pretty decent folk after dark. Sort of opposite of what I expected. The park nearby was loaded with little kids, exercise classes and other lively activity once the sun went down. I felt absolutely comfortable walking down the main streets at night with my husband. Alone would have been a bit daunting. (Go for a drink at Tabacco Road less than a mile away - oldest liquor license in Miami.)

The breakfast is pretty lame, but very tidy. With such great food and coffee awaiting us in Miami, breakfast at the inn was not a priority anyway.

Oh, almost forgot the cats! (This adds to my Crazy Aunt theory.) I don't hate cats, but I'm not a cat person either. A couple of cats don't even get my attention, but the place is over-run with six-toed, brain-damaged zombie cats. Many places around the property reeked of cat urine, too.

Overall you can get a decent experience here if you keep your sense of humor high and your expectations low. You'll never forget your stay, that's for sure.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Inverness, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

I MUST write this after reading Some of the other peoples reviews.
We just finished three days at the Inn, in summary, Exactly what I expected, Exactly what I needed, Exactly what I'd do again and again.
So the furniture is an older style, the bed had a little sag in the middle, WE like it that way (just like home). The bathroom was remodeled in 1960 something, it worked, was clean and an Incredible view of the 1st street draw bridge action.
It was Perfect that we locked our car in a gated lot for every day we were there.We walked into downtown every moment we could over a drawbridge that entertained the heck out of us, We ate, Drank and were very Merry all on foot from that Inn. We rode metromover, 4 blocks from the Inn, to every part of the city. We walked to and fro from the Inn through every neighborhood, feeling very comfortable.
Within 10 blocks of this Inn, IS, everything you can do in Miami to entertain yourself, be entertained and eat like no where else, anywhere.
Very rarely am I this entertained staying in a white box with a balcony. Our stay at this location WILL be repeated, again.
Great Time

Room Tip: River view from the throne was Incredible
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

I just finished a work trip staying at the Inn for a week. The Inn has been operating as an Inn since the beginning of Miami, over a 100 years ago and in a sense, it shows. What I mean is that it is an old wood building furnished with antiques, and with all the usual quirky issues of a National Register historic property. I found a couple small places that need touch-up paint, but overall the buildings are in better shape than many of the chains I've stayed in for twice as much.
My room was clean and comfy. My TV was tiny but I didn't visit Miami to watch television; it did suffice to catch up on the weather and the free wi-fi worked well. My shower was hot, and the AC was cold. The pool was very nice, as was the garden and veranda by the breakfast nook, which served homemade nut bread with coffee and fruit and yogurt.
The neighborhood is a working family neighborhood with joggers, fishermen, kids going to school, etc., and several parks within walking distance, but not dangerous by any measure; check with staff about parking options.
Also w/in walking distance (5 min) was Jamon Jamon Jamon, a wonderful tapas bar and restaurant (best anchovies I've ever had!). There is a sports bar/tropical bar on the river with a beautiful view of downtown reflecting on the water. Across the street is a working waterfront for lobster and stone crab, which you can get fresh at Garcia's restaurant over the bridge.
The helpful staff arranged a cab for early in the morning and it took us 15 min to get to the airport. If you want a great location, want great staff, want something pretty and unique, this is it. My nicest visit to Miami so far.

Room Tip: Just ask about the different rooms, there are many options.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

This review follows the last of three or four visits my wife and I spent at the Miami River Inn since the mid-1990s. It is inspired by a few recent reviews which reveal unrealistic expectations and failure to appreciate what the Inn has to offer. Instead of one reviewer's "quaint country inn", one finds a fenced, gated compound at the southwest corner of the intersection where the Flagler drawbridge crosses the Miami River. Across the river are downtown skyscrapers, across the road are a seafood operation, a park and a playground, while Little Havana lies to the south and west.

The compound includes an off-street parking area, a courtyard with swimming pool, and four clapboard two-storey buildings built in 1906 with porches, living rooms, and 38 guestrooms with private baths. It is ringed by tall palm trees, guarded by a resident group of ten or twelve cats, carries an historic designation, and is within walking distance of local and downtown restaurants. It is also a relatively quiet and peaceful spot in an otherwise bustling urban setting.

Beside peace and quiet, we find that the Inn's location provides ready access to Miami's highway network and that those who man the front desk ... Jane, Carlos, and Metris... are friendly and sufficiently knowledgeable to provide good directions and direct guests to worthwhile restaurants. Also, this is not a place with paper-thin walls and noisy, incponsiderate neighbors. (For those who may be disturbed by outside noise, I suggest that you choose a south or west-facing room). Finally, room rates are relatively low. Guests will therefore get value for money, which is all too rare in big cities.

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Jupiter, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

I read several reviews before booking and gave this place a try to be away from the fancy miami hotels. We thought a quaint country Inn would be fun and have character. First of all the area is not to safe , we saw glass from smashed in car windows, so do yourself a favour and pay to park in there gated lot. Second of all the outside is very run down, the "E" in the name is falling off, the paint all chipped and needs repairs done. The outside furniture is dirty and mouldy. Inside it has charm when you first walk in, it has that old inn musky smell which gave it character.
The room was small and we felt like we were in a cute doll house. The view was of another building and the fire escape. The tv was a 9-10 Inch and had no remote and very limited stations. Our bathroom was dirty, hair from the previous person was around the tolet base and the sink. 30 minutes after we arrived there were over a dozen ants (large red one) all over the bathroom and came into the bedroom. there was some kind of dead fly/ant shells and dirty on the spare toilet roll. There was no hair dryer in the room.
The next morning we got up and a huge cockroach was walking around on our sink. We walked around. the property and it was very rundown and nothing at all like the pictures. The view of the river was hidden by a lobster ship yard.
When checking out the front desk did not apologize for the ants or roach just said he would check it out. We took photos to prove we were picky

We will not stay here again nor would we suggest it to friends

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Historic Miami River Hotel? Share your experiences!