“Don't have high expectations!” 3 of 5 stars

Miami Sun Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   226 NE 1st Avenue, Miami, FL 33132 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #117 of 129 hotels in Miami
Jacksonville, Florida
“Don't have high expectations!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013

Searched forever to find a decent hotel at a decent price located close to downtown or the beaches. Unfortunately everything was either booked or priced well above $200 a night. Stumbled upon Miami Sun Hotel. Reasonably priced considering the outrageous prices for other hotels in the area and I was not planning on doing a hostel (didn't realize we even had these in the states...yuck!). The hotel IS run down. I knew this before arriving so I was expecting the worse. The elevator was not working, no biggie. Walk the steps! The rooms are a little bigger than European sized hotel rooms. The bathroom in my room was very small and moldy; however, smelled of bleach! So they're at least getting sprayed down. Parking is fenced in across the street or there is a garage across the street to park in. Police station is one street over. The "locals" were friendly enough, albeit a little creepy. Bottom line, manage your expectations. If you see all hotels booking for $200+ a night and this place is $85, there's a reason :)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

105 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Upon finding this hotel, it was totally unrecognizable of pictures shown. Shady looking characters abounded. The cab driver who drove us to this place was even scared. Left us standing there with our luggage and raced away. When we made our way in I was chased down by some man demanding to know if I had parked my car in the lot. I thought he was a drug addict but he actually worked there, I told him we had taken a cab there. So there IS a fee to park here. Upon getting inside the front desk lady was very friendly. She also let us know the soda and vending machines were empty. The elevator license was expired and I thought we would crash from the creaky sounds that came from it. Upon arriving at our room, they had put us in a secluded corner with no lighting. We took it upon ourselves to try and change the bulb, but it shorted out [fire hazard] We felt like bait. Asked to be moved and were moved. Rooms are tiny and creepy. I did look for bed bugs but saw none. Sheets were stained. Asked for clean sheets and got more stained sheets. Ice is locked up in lobby if you can find a drink they will put ice in a sack for you. We had planned to stay 2 nights but we got out of there the next morning....never to return. I would not recommend this hotel to my worst enemy. The bed was lumpy. There was in all fairness an attempt at cleanliness, but this place needs to be condemned. I felt as if a terrible joke had been played on me. There were no amenities at all. Heed my word and stay very far away from this creepy hotel.

Room Tip: For a good room go to another hotel
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Tabernash, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

Please do not make a reservation in this hotel is terrible. We made a reservation because we never though would be that bad and it was just one night so even after to read all the comments we went there. When we just walked in we noticed that the building is really old but we didn't have other place so we checked in. The elevator stinks really bad and the room was a nightmare it was completely dirty same thing with the bathroom. This place is unacceptable, they shouldn't call it hotel at all. Anyway we couldn't stay there so we decided to get out of that place. As we expected they charged us full price but we didn't care we just wanted to leave, We spent the next 2 hours looking for other place but it was worth it. So if you want to stay there do not make a reservation go to the place and ask them to show you the rooms then yo can decide . I am writing this review because I don't want other travelers ruin their vacation for places like this.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

Thinking the reviews were just angered guests, and reading some positive reviews, I decided to book a "suite" at the Miami Sun. Homeless and drug addicts hanging outside the front doors. The front desk attendant was shoeless with his feet up on the desk. The elevator smelled like cigarettes, musk and mold. I was scared to look and see if the elevator was up to inspection because it was so creeky and slow. I feel really stupid for booking the room because we left after our event and drove home the same night of arriving. Location means nothing if your staying in filth. Stay away.

• Stayed September 2013
Samui
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Please, never make a booking this hotel.
If you ever stay in chinese hotels you understand me. If you are lucky and don't know what is it.. I'll explain.
Cost is 60$. All amount prepaid.
When you are arrive..,you can see that all pictures were made with help of photoshop! Nothing look like! Small hotel, dirty , small room, half of staff are broken, no hot water in the smallest bathroom!
I was in shok. Highly recommend to look for other hotels.
Thank you for reading.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband and I visited this "nasty hotel" this past weekend on 4/6/13. We were attending the Miami Heat game and sttod in Miami so that we didn't have to drive back home to WPB so late. DONT be fooled by the hotel pics on the internet because the hotel looks NOTHING like the pic. This hotel is so nasty, the sheets and pillows were musty and smelled like mold. The ceiling looked as if it was going to collapse and the bathroom was so small that you can hardly wipe your BUTT in there. The shower is so tiny that I kept banging my arms on the wall when showering and the damn soap dispenser almost fell off when I grabbed it to wash my feet. On top of that there were no cups for drinks. When my husband went down stairs to get ice he asked if they had an ice bucket and the receptionist behind the counter gave him a freaking plastic bag (how ghetto is that). While we were waiting for the "plastic bag" there were some visitors asking for a refund because the rooms were quote "discusting and horrible". The rate that they charged was $65 plus a $5 key deposit as crappy as this hotel is they should be charging $25 a night. It was the absolute WORST hotel experience that I ever had and needless to say..."I WILL NEVER GO BACK THERE" I am so suprised that they managed to stay open as crappy as that building is. YUCK YUCK YUCK....Spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Miami Sun Hotel? Share your experiences!