“La Covacha - a hot, sweaty, annoying carnival of totalitarianism” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #43 of 99 nightlife in Miami
Type: Dance Club/ Discos
Attraction Details
Miami
“La Covacha - a hot, sweaty, annoying carnival of totalitarianism”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2008

My experience was similar to XanderGomez....Paid around $700 for "VIP" room upstairs (small 20x20 loft), and got anything but VIP service. Music was blaring, extremely hot and limited access to the rest of the club.
There is a small army of black shirted "bouncers" directing and re-directing traffic and each giving contradictory instructions as well as an annoying laberynth of "velvet ropes" and checkpoints that virtually eliminate any kind of flow through the club.
This place is awesome if you are in the mood to be told what to do and when to do it, while at the same time paying $10 a pop for stingy pours...this is Doral people, not South Beach.
The bar maids are smoking hot, but about as bright as a box of hammers, they didnt know how to make a Long Island, were out of Coke and were unable to locate the Patron in the reach in cooler
This place is more about telling you what to do than it is about letting you enjoy yourself.
I guess VIP stands for something other than "Very Important Person" at this place. We wont be doing any more events at La Covacha anytime soon

Miami
8 attraction reviews
“This is what Dante must have been describing.....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2008

Sister-in-law's birthday extravaganza. Paid top dollar for reserving upstairs VIP lounge, and TOP DOLLAR for booze. Spent close to $700 on a party of 10. No air, so about 15 minutes in, and since the house was so packed with people, I was just about suffocating. Fine, I'll take a walk outside to get some fresh air. Nope!!!! If you leave, you have to stay out. Pre-pubescent bouncers are "firm" on this even though I see some people that are apparently able to "bypass" this rule. So here I am, stuck in an upstairs lounge, where the music is SO LOUD, you have to scream to talk to the person next to you; it is so hot, that you should forget about dressing nice because there is no point, and there's nothing I can do about it.......AND I PAID FOR THIS! HAHA!!! Jokes on me. As a Miami native, I had been here about ten years earlier and swore then that I'd never go back. This time I won't make myself out to be a liar. To throw them a couple bones: music is "above average" if your into modern latin music, and the food is actually decent.