“A little surprise gem” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HistoryMiami

HistoryMiami
101 West Flagler Street, Miami, FL 33130 (Downtown)
305 375 1492
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 123 attractions in Miami
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: HistoryMiami is the premier cultural institution committed to gathering, organizing, preserving and celebrating Miami's history as the unique crossroads of the Americas.
Horndean
9 attraction reviews
“A little surprise gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

I happened across this place as I saw the poster for the Bob Marley exhibition. The museum is quite small but the staff are great and knowledgable the local history I thought was laid out well with some interesting elements and tableaux

The Marley exhibit was really good with interactive points where you could listen to his family friends and contemporaries talk about his life and work

Visited December 2013
HistoryMiami, Public Relations Manager at HistoryMiami, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Mark: Thank you for your review. The Bob Marley Messenger exhibition has been very well-received by our guests. Please note that in late-January HistoryMiami will be expanding into what was the former Miami Art Museum facility, thereby doubling our square footage and exhibition space. We hope that you will visit us after that has occurred to be able to enjoy more of what we have to offer.

Miami, Florida
20 attraction reviews
“A Eurocentric museum”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I visited HistoryMiami free of charge through the public library Museum Pass program. I am glad I did not pay full price; I would have been disappointed. This museum has potential, but needs drastic updating and more culturally responsive perspectives. The positive included a Bob Marley temporary exhibit, information posted in Spanish & English, and some interactive stations for children.

The museum came up short in too many areas, though. First, I was surprised at the limited information on the Tequista Indians and other Native American groups. I was hoping the museum would go beyond the basic "here is what they wore, here is how they gathered their food." Second, there was a failure to depict the truly devastating impact of the Europeans on the native peoples living in Florida. I saw quotes posted from many explorers, however no quotes from chiefs or present-day native americans to depict the effect on their peoples. Third, the museum attempts to include information about African Americans in Florida, however it is quite vague and does not adequately address life from slavery to present day from an afro-centric perspective. Finally, the last part of the museum addresses immigration and the influx of Cubans and Haitians but did not address how these new immigrants have helped shape the city. It seems that the most recent twenty years of history are missing....

If you go with your children, please use this museum as an opportunity to help them think critically about stories told from only a few perspectives.

Visited October 2013
22 attraction reviews
“Mediocre museum - go when it's free”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Pros:
- Free admission: museum is free on the second Saturday of every month. It wasn't crowded when we went even on free day.
- Fun kids activities: on free day, there were blocks for kids to build whatever they wanted, as well as a station for kids to make magic wands. Friendly volunteers were present to help out. A worker read a story and taught kids about the culture of local native Americans.

Cons:
- Mediocre exhibits: there were fossils, local history, etc., but things seemed very dated and old. Exhibits definitely need some upgrading.
- Value: if it wasn't free when we went, we would feel ripped off!

Overall: a good museum when it's free; otherwise, spend your money somewhere else.

Visited August 2013
Chicago, Illinois
12 attraction reviews
“If you love history, come here”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Both of us are big history lovers. We strolled around this museum for several hours on a hot afternoon. We visited in the museum shop for a while and even purcahsed a print for our home. My husband was disappointed on how little it had on Cubans and their impact and place in South Florida and in Miami in particular. I'd go back for some of their special exhibits but I htought it would have more to it. We still enjoyed it.

Visited July 2013
31 attraction reviews
“Great for history buffs but needs drastic update”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We went this past weekend on a "family fun day", and admission was waived. I recall many of the exhibits from my childhood when they were located at the Museum of Science. Sometime in the late 70's the collection was placed in its own museum, rightfully so. However, it doesn't seem like the museum has been updated since then. There is a special section for the "Miami Circle", which is relatively recent, but the display seems dated and flimsy. Most exhibits are in dire need of a facelift, bringing into the 21st century. The actual history of Miami probably comprises about 50% of the museum, the rest is about other places around Florida. As it is, the museum is mostly geared to children. If you have children, they might get a kick out of it, otherwise, do not expect to be thrilled by Miami's history.

Visited July 2013

Been to HistoryMiami? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage HistoryMiami, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later