“Good background for a trip to Miami” 4 of 5 stars
Review of HistoryMiami

HistoryMiami
101 West Flagler Street, Miami, FL 33130 (Downtown)
305 375 1492
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 122 Attractions in Miami
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: HistoryMiami is the premier cultural institution committed to gathering, organizing, preserving and celebrating Miami's history as the unique crossroads of the Americas.
Illinois
22 attraction reviews
“Good background for a trip to Miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I first went to the Miami Art Museum. That was extremely disappointing, so I hoped the history museum would make my longer-than-expected walk down Flagler worthwhile. And it did! I really enjoyed my time there. For me, knowing a little about a city's history adds to my appreciation of the place. At HistoryMiami, I learned about not only Miami but also southern Florida and a bit of the Caribbean.

Visited September 2012

Miami
7 attraction reviews
“Excellent small South Florida history museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

I think that the only reason that this museum doesn't rank higher on Tripadvisor (at the time of this review it is #38) is because it simply isn't that well known or advertised. A visit to this musuem should be become part of any in-depth trip to Miami. If you are just here for South Beach or for partying, then, fine, this may not be the place for you. But if you are interested in educating yourself on where you are and how Miami came to be, then there is no doubt that this is the place for you.

First of all, the museum is in a very interesting location. It is on a 2nd floor open veranda/plaza type space and once you are at this small plaza you are not only right in front of the HistoryMiami museum, but also the Miami Art Museum and the main Miami Public Library (which, by the way, has some exhibitions of its own). So in one visit you can hit all 3 places - a great way to spend a rainy day or to get out of the sun and heat for some cool air. I am sure that it is this very interesting location, though, that has caused this museum to be less visited than it should - from the outside it doesn't appear to be very easy to get to. You probably have driven by it a hundred times and not even realized this was the miami history museum. But this should not prevent you from visiting this lovely museum. There is a parking garage right across the street with a covered bridge walkway from the garage to the museum/library space. There is also street parking, which is what I opted for.

The Miami history musuem is the perfect size. It is not so big that it is overwhelming. I would say you need anywhere from 1 - 2 hours for the history museum (I haven't yet been to the art museum next door so I don't know how long to allocate for that). The permanent exhibition on the history of Miami is well organized. You start with 10,000 years ago, then quickly move to 5,000 years ago, learning about the Native Americans - the Tequesta, Miccosukee, and all the other tribes, the Miami Circle, then the arrival of the Europeans, slavery, Cuban cigar rollers in Tampa, Greek sponge fishers on the west coast of Florida, on to the 1800s, Flagler and his railway, then the booming 1920s, all the way up to the present day. Event though I've lived in South Florida all my life there were many things I learned at this museum.

I also say the temporary exhibit on the guayabera shirt. It was interesting, but very small - it is all in the main entrance room.

I am very glad I came here and I will come again.

Visited September 2012
St. Augustine, Florida
17 attraction reviews
“Surprisingly good museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

In addition to the temporary exhibit on the history of the guayabaya shirt, we enjoyed the permanent installation on south Florida history. It's something we ignore up here in the northeast part of the state. I enjoyed catching up with Flagler as he headed south with the railway. Good museum store and staff who told us about other museums we "shouldn't miss."

Visited August 2012
Melbourne, Australia
45 attraction reviews
“Small, but a nicer aspect of Miami”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

This I believe is the main museum in Miami. The building is nice enough, and, for Miamians, the people working there are alright. It is only a small museum for a big city, but for a city with relatively little history or anything of interest going on I guess you can’t expect too much. Some of the stuff on the early history of native Americans in Florida was pretty interesting. The museum was almost deserted the day I visited, and the people working there seemed almost surprised to have a visitor, trailing me around for quite a bit of the time I was there and seeming to want to hurry me out, and they were not particularly forthcoming with information even when asked. I only had a bit over an hour there, could have done with a bit more, maybe two hours, but I read displays, etc. If you just walk through looking at exhibits, you could do it much quicker.

At $8 it’s probably a bit steeply priced for what’s actually there, though $10 gets you a combined ticket with the neighbouring Art Gallery. Unfortunately these places are only open limited hours, so make sure you’ll be able to make use of your combined ticket (my ticket to the Gallery ended up going to waste as I was unable to get back in the restrictive hours the place was open).

Visited April 2012
Doral, Florida
21 attraction reviews
“If you want a tour through Miami's heritage come”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

beutiful expositions, from the tequesta through artdeco, in live toch and feel expositons! VEry frindly, and fun for all ages

Been to HistoryMiami? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage HistoryMiami, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.