“Perfect for train buffs” 4 of 5 stars

Type: Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Herts
160 attraction reviews
“Perfect for train buffs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

There are lots of engines and carriages to look at and walk through. If you're interested in trains this is the place for you. If you visit at the weekend you can also ride on a train.

Visited June 2014

“SAD”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

It was such a nice place to go to with the family. It seems so run down lately, so dirty, not well taken care of, no friendly staff other than a girl named Alex who has a twin sister and a guy named Ronnie which our son absolutely adored & now we were told he no longer works there. Those people were friendly, caring and keptthe train spirit up but now its awful. I feel bad for the children that can't enjoy the museum. We were members but will never renew again. It was my son's favorite place and had his birthday celebration but not anymore. Sad...............

Visited May 2014
Miami, Florida
“Train Rides NOT Everyday.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Dear Trip Advosor

Why in the world would you tell people there are train rides everyday?

The children's train only runs on the weekends, and the big trains only on some weekends. It even says so on their website. I'm wondering how many people have showed up during the week like I did only to have disappointed children. NOT COOL!! NOT COOL AT ALL!!!

Luckily, they had a children's play area with toy trains to play with, and model trains to watch go choo-choo, so the trip wasn't a total loss. The museum is great, but if you want to ride the big train, be sure to call ahead.

Visited June 2013
3 attraction reviews
“A truly hidden history gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

Incredible museum rich of history, right in our wonderful backyard. It is free of charge, except for the presidential one.

Went there while a classic car show was in swing...Saw the 1949 Frazier model, which it looked futuristic for its age.

The presidential train was also available for a fee and has to be accompanied by personnel.

Lots of history while you walk and browse the inside of these trains, I looked at them while trying to transport myself to those times. Lots of reading material to learn or re-visit them.

They also have a wartime aid cabin, as a sample of what they were about, with remnants of real bed and bed sheets.

Amazing how grandiose these samples are, they are all steel.

Incredible history!

Visited March 2014
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Could have been better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I really hate to give them three stars (really, I kind of want to give them two stars), however, I came on Saturday with my two boys for the "Day Out With Thomas" event. I paid $70.00 for the event/ride. This review pertains to this specific event.

They didn't have the event parking properly labeled. I have only been to the zoo. I've never actually come to the museum before this. I saw the signs for event parking for employees. Therefore, I was confused and wasn't able to figure out where to park at first. After walking all the way up to the ticket counter at the zoo (like a fool), they told me where it was located. Even the young lady at the ticket counter said they should properly label the signs to indicate customers were to park in that area also! She didn't seem shocked that I came all the way to the zoo entrance. I'm just guessing, but perhaps other people did also??

Finally, I pull into the correct parking area. They're not charging for parking, but would like a donation. Okay! I forked over five dollars. Just charge for parking. It makes things a lot simpler than making others look like jerks because they don't want to give out donations. Besides, everyone is used to paying for parking all over south Florida anyway.

We go to will-call to pick up our tickets. There wasn't any line. We grabbed the tickets and head inside. I see lots of different activities, which most of them charged additional fees if you wanted to participate. So, let me get this straight, you charge $20/person, then turn around and want to charge more fees for them to do other activities? I wasn't impressed. The link train was an additional $4/person(I think it was $4.00 anyway). I just passed everything over because we needed to make it in time for our ride on Thomas.

We head to the bathrooms. They're fairly clean for the amount of traffic going in and out of them. That was a nice surprise. They even had soap in the dispensers!

I couldn't really tell where the line started. I actually eavesdropped on another couple to figure out where to go. Of course, there was a red line pointing out where to go on the sidewalk outside of the covered area. I didn't actually see it until we walked towards the line for the next trip. We get in line for the Thomas ride. At this point, my youngest was really excited and my older son was just ready for it to be over.

We board the train and pick a spot by the window. All of the seats up top were already taken. Go figure. I couldn't really understand the guy right before the ride. He said something about someone coming by, but we never saw anyone come by until the end of the ride.

Here's the "best" part. The 25 minute train ride "adventure" consisted of the train pulling forward and backing up in the opposite direction several times. What?? Come on. That was just sad. My youngest even became bored from the lack of activity and he LOVES train rides. My boys were just ready for it to be over.

I think the best part about this trip were the delicious, soft, hot pretzels I purchased as a snack after the ride. At least they were worth the $12.00 I spent for three of them!! After our snack, I let them play with the bubbles that were blowing near the front of the event and promptly left. I really did not feel like spending any more money at this event.

I will never come back for this event. I truly expected it to be a lot better than what it was. We may however come back just to check out the trains and the rest of the museum if we are coming down to go to the zoo. I don't think I would go out of my way to come back down just to visit the museum. Once we come back, I will review it again accordingly.

Visited March 2014

Been to The Gold Coast Railroad Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Gold Coast Railroad Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.

Bookmark for later