“Could have been better.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #39 of 108 Attractions in Miami
Type: Specialty museums, Museums
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
11 attraction reviews
“Could have been better.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I really hate to give them three stars (really, I kind of want to give them two stars), however, I came on Saturday with my two boys for the "Day Out With Thomas" event. I paid $70.00 for the event/ride. This review pertains to this specific event.

They didn't have the event parking properly labeled. I have only been to the zoo. I've never actually come to the museum before this. I saw the signs for event parking for employees. Therefore, I was confused and wasn't able to figure out where to park at first. After walking all the way up to the ticket counter at the zoo (like a fool), they told me where it was located. Even the young lady at the ticket counter said they should properly label the signs to indicate customers were to park in that area also! She didn't seem shocked that I came all the way to the zoo entrance. I'm just guessing, but perhaps other people did also??

Finally, I pull into the correct parking area. They're not charging for parking, but would like a donation. Okay! I forked over five dollars. Just charge for parking. It makes things a lot simpler than making others look like jerks because they don't want to give out donations. Besides, everyone is used to paying for parking all over south Florida anyway.

We go to will-call to pick up our tickets. There wasn't any line. We grabbed the tickets and head inside. I see lots of different activities, which most of them charged additional fees if you wanted to participate. So, let me get this straight, you charge $20/person, then turn around and want to charge more fees for them to do other activities? I wasn't impressed. The link train was an additional $4/person(I think it was $4.00 anyway). I just passed everything over because we needed to make it in time for our ride on Thomas.

We head to the bathrooms. They're fairly clean for the amount of traffic going in and out of them. That was a nice surprise. They even had soap in the dispensers!

I couldn't really tell where the line started. I actually eavesdropped on another couple to figure out where to go. Of course, there was a red line pointing out where to go on the sidewalk outside of the covered area. I didn't actually see it until we walked towards the line for the next trip. We get in line for the Thomas ride. At this point, my youngest was really excited and my older son was just ready for it to be over.

We board the train and pick a spot by the window. All of the seats up top were already taken. Go figure. I couldn't really understand the guy right before the ride. He said something about someone coming by, but we never saw anyone come by until the end of the ride.

Here's the "best" part. The 25 minute train ride "adventure" consisted of the train pulling forward and backing up in the opposite direction several times. What?? Come on. That was just sad. My youngest even became bored from the lack of activity and he LOVES train rides. My boys were just ready for it to be over.

I think the best part about this trip were the delicious, soft, hot pretzels I purchased as a snack after the ride. At least they were worth the $12.00 I spent for three of them!! After our snack, I let them play with the bubbles that were blowing near the front of the event and promptly left. I really did not feel like spending any more money at this event.

I will never come back for this event. I truly expected it to be a lot better than what it was. We may however come back just to check out the trains and the rest of the museum if we are coming down to go to the zoo. I don't think I would go out of my way to come back down just to visit the museum. Once we come back, I will review it again accordingly.

Visited March 2014

40 attraction reviews
“Good ... Just good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

We went the first Saturday of the month cause was free and was pet friendly, so we went with our pug and yorkie... The place it's small, have aprox. 20 trains cabins and like 2 train in function...

It's good for photoshoot or stuff like that...

Visited September 2013
Carolina, Puerto Rico
14 attraction reviews
“Lot of history in this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I went to the site without recommendation and found it very interesting, it has trains from different times in history, you can have access to most of them. In some of them you can feel like you are transported in time. I'm not a train lover and enjoyed the place. Unfortunately, the maintenance of the site could be improved. This attraction is mostly outdoors, if the day is too hot I will consider postpone the visit.

Visited June 2013
12 attraction reviews
“Great even without kids!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

Did not realize this museum was in my own backyard otherwise we would have been there much, much sooner. It was a pleasure to go through the president's train used by 4 presidents begin with Roosevelt. The train is registered as a national historic landmark. There was a separate fee for this tour (a couple of dollars only) and we learned it is because kids had vandalized the train when it was open without supervision before. What a shame! There were several other trains to explore. It was wonderful to imagine what travel was like in bygone eras. Right before we left a private party began arriving in 1940s attire. It really made us feel like we had just gone back in time. The museum is without a doubt underfunded but was still a joy to visit. Don't miss the lighter than air display about when the land was used for a Naval air station, truly fascinating.

Visited May 2013
17 attraction reviews
“More support”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

The museum have a few railroad cabins that keep the history...Two of these The US One (that was use for the presidents in the past) US army medical cabin. The most interest is representation of mini towns and replicas.

Visited June 2013

Been to The Gold Coast Railroad Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Gold Coast Railroad Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.