“If you like trains -- or presidents” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 204 things to do in Miami
Washington DC, District of Columbia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“If you like trains -- or presidents”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I happened to be here on Presidents Day, which made seeing the Pullman that FDR, HST, and DDE (as well as Ronald Reagan one time) used a special event. The presidential car is the highlight, but for anyone with even a marginal interest in trains, the CGRM is definitely worth a stop. You can walk through several of the preserved/restored cars and visit an amazing collection of model and toy trains. Very reasonably priced.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I recently saw a South Florida Parenting Magazine article praising the Gold Coast Railroad Museum as the best children’s museum in Miami. I attended the museum last weekend with my two young boys and it is by far the best children’s venue I have ever been to. They have a marvelous children’s Thomas the Tank Engine play area and I understand that this museum will be hosting the Thomas train in March. While I was there I noticed a children’s birthday party taking place and a tour group and a military reunion or picnic so the place is very active and user friendly. They also have many historic trains and the presidential railcar from the 1940s so there is a lot to see for adults as well. The facility is very nice and the staff (maybe they are volunteers) are extremely helpful. I highly recommend for all ages. I think they also have train rides but my children were to fascinated with all the many displays that we never had a chance to check that out but we will be back.
Sincerely, Vicky Radcliff

South Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Avoid this sad museum”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

The museum seems to have fallen on hard times. Gold Coast Railroad Museum was an awful experience. Dirty, unstaffed, dangerous. The place should be condemned. Rusted trains, moldy interiors, many of the trains were taped off with crime scene tape to keep people away. For good reason. Model trains did not work in model train exhibit room. The lights were off in the model train exhibit and we plugged them in from a cord dangling from ceiling. Garbage all over. Old TV sets and VCR's for presentations not working or turned on. Discarded furniture, construction equipment laying all over. Grounds unkempt, to put it kindly. Dead trees, grass, weeds everywhere. Very sad place.

3 Thank jujukos
TheFold, Manager at The Gold Coast Railroad Museum, responded to this review, February 17, 2013

Thank you for your review of our property. While your review of the property is negative, what you highlight is what some people want. The Gold Coast Railroad Museum was founded in 1957. At the time, we had about 5 pieces of railroad equipment. From 1957 to even today, we are still a completely independent non-profit organization. We recieve very little in public grants, and even fewer in private grants. We recieve no tax dollars, and are for the most part, self-funded. In that aspect, we are much like a club. Today we have approximately 50 cars on the property. The majority of these cars are not in our public collection. They are awaiting restoration by our volunteer staff. However, being in South Florida, anything that is steel and sitting outside, rusts. The majority of our equipment requires to be completely repainted every 5 years or less.

As you highlight in your review, there are many trains that are indeed "dirty, rusted and moldy". Our public collection, which is basically what's under the shed, are the only pieces that are truly open to the public.

However, unlike other museums, particularly railroad museums, we do not limit the public to this small area, and we let them roam the property. In addition, we do let the public go into any railcar they wish. This is extremely rare in any museum. Because of this, we have to put up caution tape on the pieces of equipment that are waiting restoration and are simply too dangerous for people to go into. Many people tear them down, and go in anyways. These are the rusty/moldy/dirty pieces of equipment that you describe. Once you go outside the shed, you should not go inside any of the equipment. There are signs and indicators instructing you of such. However, we don't have the staff in place to police everyone. We expect people to be responsible enough.

I do not know at approximately what time you visited, but if you went into the models after we were closed for the day, then you would experience what you did. The lights, models and TVs would be off.

As far as the landscaping, you're absolutely right. We are sitting on a property of 50 acres, and one of our 6 staff members only job is to landscape. He does it 40 hours a week.

I'm not familiar with the construction equipment or discarded furniture you describe, but I will look for it.

Overall, thank you for your review. Whether positive, or negative. I'm always looking for outside feedback from people.
Granbury, Texas
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Something your kids would love!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We went here last minute and it had closed at 4:00 but the young gentleman let us look around quickly. I wish we would have made it in time because it is a very interesting place. It has a lot of little areas for your kids to play. I would recommend it.

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Actually surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised with my visit to The GCRRM. My brother had recommended it so we decided to take the kids on a Saturday. Initially arriving you notice that the site is unkempt and once inside you get the feel of a "train graveyard". Then you start asking questions. You're in a museum... trust me... ask questions. You find out the history of the museum itself and the hit it took during Hurricane Andrew. You then realize that in Miami there is almost no support for museums. The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable. The trains themselves are in various states of restoration. It's quite a feeling to sit in some of these seats. I took a nap on the Zephyr and it was awesome. All I can advise is that you go and touch our history. Walk through train cars that have seen thousands of faces, some common and some great. Understand history and learn from it. Oh and they have a pretty nifty gift shop for the kids too!

Visited September 2012