“VERY basic hotel” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #118 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Melbourne, Australia
“VERY basic hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

This place is extremely basic. My friend and I stayed here for one night before a cruise, simply because it was close to the Port. Like other people have said, the location, being close to the Port, is one of the few positives. The room we stayed in was tiny and the bathroom was incredibly small, but both were clean enough. The towel rack fell off the wall when I touched it and the toilet blocked up. When we reported these faults to the front desk, the response was "we know how this place works". The place badly needs to be refurbished and updated. Surely there must be better places to stay

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Folkestone, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on this site, I was a little concerned about staying here, but I needed somewhere for one night close to Downtown Miami and didn't want to spend too much money, and this place fitted the bill. The reception staff were friendly and the 82-year-old elevator - operated by an attendant - was a real museum piece! My room was clean and a good size, but unbelievably basic - just a bed, chair, desk and a TV. The en-suite bathroom was old but everything worked. It would have been nice to have had an easy chair and some pictures on the walls to make it a bit more homely. There was certainly space for an easy chair or sofa. I never felt unsafe at any time. I wouldn't stay here for a week's vacation, but for one or two nights it's good value and its location opposite the Bayside restaurant and shopping complex is ideal. It is also close to the free Metromover - the monorail system that serves downtown Miami. The included continental breakfast was an unexpected bonus! I expected a bit of noise in this location, but I managed a reasonable night's sleep. The aircon was a little noisy but no worse than I've experienced in many other hotels.

Room Tip: I was allocated Room 429, which overlooked a kind of inside well. Some travellers might have found t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

REALLY..??? No security- poor check- in -, Bkfst. unacceptable- white bread to toast- dead cockroach in our room.... 2 Flimsy towels, I'm calling the Hotel Guy!!!!! We had to go out on the roof for Fire Escape- windows don't lock- anyone could walk into hotel.....

• Stayed December 2013
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel is by far the WORST hotel I've ever seen in the USA. It's only one step up from a homeless shelter. The elevator didn't work and they gave me a room on the 4th floor. I have a bad hip and we had two suitcases and one carry on. We were only staying in the hotel for one night before going on a cruise. I thought well it's close to Bayside, this is the USA, how bad could it be? It was the WORST! It was like going to a third world country. As soon as we walked into the lobby I knew it was bad. People were doing their shopping and filling their barrels which were held in the storage area. It just got worse from there. The check-in staff didn't greet us. They said nothing. I had to say excuse me we have a reservation. I could go on and on. Do not stay here. The rooms are old, the rugs are dirty, the locks on the door are not secure. The one we had had a hand made peep hole near the lock. There are no washcloths, no shampoo, no conditioner, only one small bar of soap. Like I said, it's one step up from a Homeless Shelter, DON"T STAY HERE!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

I'm baffled at the people saying all the negative things about this hotel. Is it the classiest place? No, is it the most modern place? NO, is it the most high tech place NO! But you know this prior to checking in. Just like you are on Trip Advisor writing your review right now, you researched other hotels prior to booking this one. If you want all the luxury perks that the "other hotels" have to offer, you have every opportunity to do so prior to booking the Leamington Hotel. But NO, you decided to book the LEAST expensive hotel in the prime downtown location, which is around the corner and down the street from other hotels costing 3 and 4 times as much as this one.

This hotel is not for the honeymooners, the ritzy couple or the self proclaimed diva (make or female). This hotel is for the person who is on a budget, that need to be in the middle of downtown, close to bayside market place and all public transportation (not to mention the "C" bus is around the corner in front of bayside market place that will get you to south beach for only $2.35).

The rooms are as clean as can be, clean sheets, clean towels, strong water pressure. The elevator is a manual elevator requiring an operator in order to get to your room, again, the building is an antique, and so are the aminities.

I had a great time here and was able to walk everywhere I needed to be! If I needed chocolates on my pillows each night, and a Lobster delivered from room service, I would have chosen to stay someplace else. This hotel is perfect for the no frills traveler like me!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Fab place to stay if you want to be close to Bay side shopping area and Port of Miami at an inexpensive price. For me lower prices mean lower expectations of things like decor,room size etc. so i wasn't expecting to arrive to a hotel like the Inter-Continental and therefore i wasn't disappointed. If your looking for a stay in luxury then its not for you, but if you are going to Miami to explore what the city has to offer rather than the hotel room and lobby and want to save on hotel budget to be able to enjoy the shopping/night life Miami has in abundance then book here as location is great (Walgreen's on the corner as well as pizza place and noodle bar) Bay side shopping area across the street with a great selection of places to eat e.g Hooters, Hard Rock Cafe, Steak house and countless others plus a free shuttle from the hotel to the port of Miami coupled with very pleasant and helpful staff and excellent transport links on metro-rail etc.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
East Lansing, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I was looking for a hotel downtown and this one had the best location. The price was pretty high but there was nothing better available at the time around the Port of Miami. Leamington hotel is located just a couple of blocks away from the port and I think this is the only positive thing about it. I stayed there with my husband. We arrived late, around 11PM. The room was ready and we went to the elevator. To our surprise it was very beat up, dirty and the most shocking – it was operated by a person. It stopped working at midnight and you had to use the stairs. Unbelievable! Then we got inside the room. It was really small compared to all other rooms we stayed in the past. The two beds were tiny as well and we had to sleep separately. The bathroom was even worse with a lot of mold and strange smell. We just kept the door shut and didn’t go in there. Overall, it was a terrible experience and definitely not worth the money. I cannot recommend this hotel to my family and friends.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Leamington Hotel? Share your experiences!