“Nightmare !!! Nothing good about this hotel !” 1 of 5 stars

You added Leamington Hotel to your Saves list
Leamington Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   307 NE 1st Street, Miami, FL 33132 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #101 of 111 Hotels in Miami
“Nightmare !!! Nothing good about this hotel !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Booked this hotel after I decided to stay an extra night in Miami. After checking in and being in the room for less than a minute, I knew I couldn't stay here. Room smelled like urine and bleach. Floors are shaky and un level. The door wouldn't close properly(it was a crack in it when closed). Elevators were not electrical, you had to ring a bell for a man to come and turn a wheel until you get to your floor. We ended up getting our money back and booking another room.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I regret more than ever that I didn't look at any reviews before booking this hotel, being totally misled by the photos on the website...
This hotel is like a prison, with staff speaking poor English eating dinner behind service desk, an elevator which makes you worry if you will ever get to the floor your room is on. If you book any room here with breakfast option, be prepared to have just toast and what can prob pass off as a cheap dessert cake, the coffee, quoting my husband, is undrinkable, enough said
The crown jewel is the hotel room itself, it is a PRISON CELL
It is a rip off, I can't honestly think off a better or more charitable word to describe it
Please I urge you to read review and spend your money ( not that this hotel is cheap by any standard) where you don't feel a wrongly convicted innocent put in a prison cell
I am disgusted, utterly disgusted. We actually booked somewhere else and cut our stay short jut to escape from this prison after one night's stay and trying very hard to persuade ourselves we can put up with it, we are by no means snobs who can't do rough, cheap and cheerful, etc all the good economical trade offs.
It is just grim

Room Tip: Book a different hotel to this one. And read other reviews before you book, whoever bothers to put r...
Paris, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed there for one night having turned up without a reservation. I was desperate for a room as had to spend a night in Miami thanks to the immigration service making me miss my flight connection. The room was about $100 plus tax, so around $111.

I have the following comments about the hotel:

- customer service (receptionist) was lazy and didn't seem too bothered about assisting.
- room was disgusting: old interior with lots of stains on walls, doors, carpet, lampshades etc.
- cockroaches in the bathroom. I mentioned this to the receptionist who seemed to not care whatsoever, saying it's typical of Miami and she even has them in her home.
- poor breakfast. I went round the corner to a cafe.
- the lift is this shabby old death trap which has to be operated manually by the concierge.
- the wifi was erratic. could not get a decent connection half the time.

The place was dirty and run down yet the same price as the more reputable hotels (Holiday Inn etc) which I called but, unfortunately, were full. The only good thing is that there is a free shuttle to the airport, which I used.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Philadelphia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

Affordable room in downtown Miami but there's significant downsides. The hotel's -- and I use that term loosely -- interior lobby looks purposefully drab and sterile. Staff were somewhat friendly. The elevator is operated by pulling a metal cage across the door then using a hand operated level to select the floor -- luckily a staff member tends it until midnight. Like the elevator, the room was woefully outdated, as was the bathroom. I've stayed in many hotels/motels but this may be the least frills of any I've seen in twenty years. Yet, the location may have made up for its shortcomings: A stone's throw from Bayside Market and other local attractions. In the end, it was an experience and, luckily, one that lasted only one night -- wouldn't recommend for anyone longer than that for sure!

Room Tip: Wouldn't stay for longer than one night
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

It's far from luxurious--with spotty hot water and stark, almost institutional decor--but if you're looking for an inexpensive place in downtown Miami, you can't beat it. At the very least, you'll get to tell your friends that you rode in a manual/crank elevator in a "historic" Miami location...

Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This review is NOT exaggerated: I stayed there for 4 nights with 2 business associates in my room and 2 more in another room for a major business event. When we arrived we were informed that we could not have a refrigerator or microwave in our room unless we stayed for 10 days or more. We were told that we could only have ONE key per room. It was emphasized that if there was too much trash left in our room upon checkout we would be charged extra, plus if we lost or took the key, the fee was $150. We found 1 small trashcan in our very small bathroom - so small, the door could not open but bumped into the toilet. The door knob did not work so the door did not stay shut. There was no hook on the door for clothes. The tub floor was scraped off (needing new porcelain) and rusted and green. It had been painted over because when we stepped out of the shower, there was white flakes on our feet. We were never given a bath mat for the floor. We had to ask for washcloths and made several trips down the stairs for more towels/washcloths every single day. No hair dryer was available until our third night.
The carpeting was extremely old and gross. The walls were cracked and the mirror was rusted all around it. The bedding was stained. The window air conditioning unit was taped in but worked okay. The room initially had a VERY strong bleach smell which aggravated my asthma - I had to ask that they not use bleach to clean the rest of our stay.
When we asked for towels or a hairdryer, we were told they would be brought to us - it never happened.
We chose to take the stairs - the elevator was an old one and we had to wait for the man to bring it up .
Me and my associates all had problems getting internet service and had to have the front desk get it to come on our laptops.
The beds caved and the pillows were flat but the room was clean and there were no bugs or rodents or evidence of any.
The towels/washclothes were clean and seemed fairly new. We took lukewarm and cold showers most of the time.
The fire alarm went off several times during our stay due to something other than fire.
The staff were friendly for the most part but seemed overworked. There was only one front desk who never answered our calls to the desk causing us to make multiple trips down the stairs. Maid service didn't even come the third day of our stay.
The very worst part was when I checked out and asked Raybi at the front desk to call me a taxi. She actually called a friend of hers in an unmarked SUV to take me to the airport. When we arrived at the airport and I tried to open my door, I found that the child proof lock was on and the driver told me that he would let me out AFTER I paid him. I gave him $30 but he never gave me my $5 change because he said that he didn't have change. He then ran around to my door to open it from the outside. As a woman in a city that I don't live in, this was a frightening experience - to be LOCKED IN and not allowed to get out of my door!!!!!!
The ONLY good of this "hotel" is the location and price. It could be a quaint place if renovated, but as is, it is absolutely horrible. The owner/manager is stingy and not concerned with his guests comfort or pleasure. I should have paid attention to the reviews before I chose this, especially since I was bringing several business associates with me.
DON'T ignore the reviews!!!!!! They are correct!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Look- I was really nervous after reading the reviews about this hotel. Honestly- much of it was over exaggerated. This hotel is simple. BASIC necessities. But it has great character! I stayed here with 3 business partners and we had a blast. I mean for the price? We literally just slept here. It was fine!! Great location to Bayside and the Arena, really neat 20's style elevator, and the staff was amazing! We're all in our mid 20's and thought of it as an adventure. The rooms were very clean, no weird smells, and had coffee and toast in the morning. Yes the paint is a little old, yes the shower was luke warm, and yes the toilet screeched when we flushed it...so what? We named her Dorothy. All in all- we had a blast. Franz Fernandez , the GM, was absolutely wonderful and accommodating and we received a great rate. To pay $100 less than everything else in the area? So worth it!

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Leamington Hotel? Share your experiences!