“WORST "hotel" in all of my years of travel!!!!!!!!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Leamington Hotel
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   307 NE 1st Street, Miami, FL 33132 (Downtown)   |
Ranked #118 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Richmond, Virginia
“WORST "hotel" in all of my years of travel!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This review is NOT exaggerated: I stayed there for 4 nights with 2 business associates in my room and 2 more in another room for a major business event. When we arrived we were informed that we could not have a refrigerator or microwave in our room unless we stayed for 10 days or more. We were told that we could only have ONE key per room. It was emphasized that if there was too much trash left in our room upon checkout we would be charged extra, plus if we lost or took the key, the fee was $150. We found 1 small trashcan in our very small bathroom - so small, the door could not open but bumped into the toilet. The door knob did not work so the door did not stay shut. There was no hook on the door for clothes. The tub floor was scraped off (needing new porcelain) and rusted and green. It had been painted over because when we stepped out of the shower, there was white flakes on our feet. We were never given a bath mat for the floor. We had to ask for washcloths and made several trips down the stairs for more towels/washcloths every single day. No hair dryer was available until our third night.
The carpeting was extremely old and gross. The walls were cracked and the mirror was rusted all around it. The bedding was stained. The window air conditioning unit was taped in but worked okay. The room initially had a VERY strong bleach smell which aggravated my asthma - I had to ask that they not use bleach to clean the rest of our stay.
When we asked for towels or a hairdryer, we were told they would be brought to us - it never happened.
We chose to take the stairs - the elevator was an old one and we had to wait for the man to bring it up .
Me and my associates all had problems getting internet service and had to have the front desk get it to come on our laptops.
The beds caved and the pillows were flat but the room was clean and there were no bugs or rodents or evidence of any.
The towels/washclothes were clean and seemed fairly new. We took lukewarm and cold showers most of the time.
The fire alarm went off several times during our stay due to something other than fire.
The staff were friendly for the most part but seemed overworked. There was only one front desk who never answered our calls to the desk causing us to make multiple trips down the stairs. Maid service didn't even come the third day of our stay.
The very worst part was when I checked out and asked Raybi at the front desk to call me a taxi. She actually called a friend of hers in an unmarked SUV to take me to the airport. When we arrived at the airport and I tried to open my door, I found that the child proof lock was on and the driver told me that he would let me out AFTER I paid him. I gave him $30 but he never gave me my $5 change because he said that he didn't have change. He then ran around to my door to open it from the outside. As a woman in a city that I don't live in, this was a frightening experience - to be LOCKED IN and not allowed to get out of my door!!!!!!
The ONLY good of this "hotel" is the location and price. It could be a quaint place if renovated, but as is, it is absolutely horrible. The owner/manager is stingy and not concerned with his guests comfort or pleasure. I should have paid attention to the reviews before I chose this, especially since I was bringing several business associates with me.
DON'T ignore the reviews!!!!!! They are correct!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Look- I was really nervous after reading the reviews about this hotel. Honestly- much of it was over exaggerated. This hotel is simple. BASIC necessities. But it has great character! I stayed here with 3 business partners and we had a blast. I mean for the price? We literally just slept here. It was fine!! Great location to Bayside and the Arena, really neat 20's style elevator, and the staff was amazing! We're all in our mid 20's and thought of it as an adventure. The rooms were very clean, no weird smells, and had coffee and toast in the morning. Yes the paint is a little old, yes the shower was luke warm, and yes the toilet screeched when we flushed it...so what? We named her Dorothy. All in all- we had a blast. Franz Fernandez , the GM, was absolutely wonderful and accommodating and we received a great rate. To pay $100 less than everything else in the area? So worth it!

• Stayed February 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Leamington has great charm and a top notch staff. Manager Franz Fernandez practically bent over backwards for our requests and every staff member was pleasant, very hospitable, and professional. Our room, though a bit sparse in accomodation, was kept very clean by the housekeeping staff. The Leamington is a very old hotel, being established in the 20's, but that actually worked in the hotel's favor in my opinion. I'll be looking to book here in the future when I'm in town on business, and would recommend it to my friends as well.

• Stayed January 2013
Madurai, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Hotel is average only. Break fast is included. But very minimal varieties only. Corridor is very stinking and the stairs were too with bad smell. Air condition is good and so sleeping is of no problem. Doors, locks, etc were very old and you have to struggle locking or opening them. Lift is available, but only during certain hours. Wifi is available. If you stay for 1 or 2 nights, this hotel should be OK.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Newark, Delaware
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had a reservation Dec 2012. First, the hotel in a questionable area, prostitutes and homeless hanging out around the hotel. Second, the walls in the hotel lobby were dirty, and a disgusting smell along with crumbs on front desk. Third, the sheets in the room were stained, upon trying to open the window, the curtains fell off, the bathtub had mold and there was trash on the floor. My husband and I were in the room for all of 5 minutes. We walked down to the front desk and asked for a full refund, We ended up staying at the holiday inn across the street. I ended up paying a lot more there. However, it was totally worth it as safety and cleanliness are a must. This hotel should be condemned by the city and be closed IMMEDIATELY. I urge other travels not to waste their times in this $h*+ hole.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Newport, Rhode Island
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Frightening and unsafe....as in NOT SAFE....or sanitary either..
the room was probably clean actually.( no germs)...because we could REALLY smell the bleach.......without that bleach smell...we would not have stayed....thinking..."we're gonna catch somethin here"
Scary continental breakfast too...
Expedia has this hotel listed ....what R they thinking...??
great location..

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Absolutely the worst place we have EVER stayed. Expected it to be older, however, didn't expect the manual elevator that you had to wait 20 minutes for before you were picked up. Didn't expect th train to be right outside our window that ran every 10 minutes, so we didn't sleep at all. Water in the shower was luke warm at best, and when you could stand to be in the shower the black from the dirty carpet ran off of our feet. The "complimentary breakfast" consisted of dry white toast. I would seriously sleep outside on the sidewalk for free before I would pay to stay here again. I am demanding my money back-not sure it will happen since conveniently there was not a manager available to talk to! Any of the web sites should be ashamed to advertise this Hotel.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Leamington Hotel? Share your experiences!