“Calle ocho with South Beach Prices” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hoy Como Ayer

Hoy Como Ayer
2212 SW 8th St, Miami, FL (Little Havana)
305 541 2631
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #9 of 104 Nightlife in Miami
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Dance Club/ Discos, Bars
Activities: Dancing
miami beach
“Calle ocho with South Beach Prices”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2008

I am a Miami Native and thought I knew a thing or two about local hangouts. Local hangouts are sopposed to be a place where we can go and enjoy ourselves without being robbed with ridiculous drink prices. I'm not saying this place was terrible i'm just saying that after a 200.00 bar tab for 2 people i will never go back again ! 2 shots cost 25 $ !! Not only that but there's a cover at the door ! And this is sleepy little Havana we are talking about, Not South Beach. The only reason I stayed was to watch Spam Allstars and it was my boyfriends birthday. I guess next year we will be doing it some place else.

Raleigh, Nc
“Very disappointing experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2008

I just returned from a long weekend in Miami. Since I'm a salsa dancer and my brother and I love latin music, we planned a special evening at this club in Little Havana and this ended up being the disappointment of our entire trip and here is why:

Hoy Como Ayer is overpriced ($30 cover plus minimum of $20 bar tab per person). There is absolutely no floor space available for dancing. It is packed with tables full of people. Don't go there thinking that you are going to salsa dance.

We called earlier in the day and made reservations. The man that we talked to said that the order of reservations affected how good our seats were. Well, we were about half way down on the reservation list (I saw my name on it), yet they seated us against the very back wall! Clearly people who reserved after us got better seats. We couldn't have been farther from the stage and still been inside the building.

Since we had been out for dinner and drinks before we got there, we didn't order drinks immediately. The waitress immediately got defensive and told us that our bar tab had to be a minimum of $20 per person. We ordered one "watered down" mojito, one Coke and two bottles of water and our tab magically came to $39! Highway robbery! The same bottle of water costs me about 35 cents at Costco!

I'm white, but I embrace hispanic cultures. I speak spanish fairly well and have traveled to several Latin American countries. In all my travels, I've never felt as unwelcome as I did at Hoy Como Ayer. It was clear that the few gringos in the place weren't really welcome.

One other incident to mention: the club is supposedly non-smoking and I confirmed this before making the reservation as I have asthma and was suffering from a sinus infection at the time. People started smoking at a table near us and I pointed this out to our waitress. She reluctantly told them to go outside to smoke. When they came back inside, they took the table directly in front of us and proceeded to light up again and again. When I asked the waitress to ask them to stop she just shrugged her shoulders like she couldn't do anything about it.

The music was good but the attitude of the staff and "hidden costs" really took away from our enjoyment of the place. I would never go back. Miami has too many other latin clubs to visit before being taken advantage of again at this place.

A TripAdvisor Member
“FABULOUS!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2005

I've never been to such a great place! The cuban "tapas" they serve are delicious and the drinks are made exquisitely!---Especially the Mijitos!---- Your greated at the door by a beautiful and sweet hostess that is bilingual and ready to answer any questions you have. Then you walk in to an intimate space that is the center of a cultural explosion. Pictures of all the latin greats line all the walls of the club... which is dimly lit with blue lights and candles on every table. The waitresses are all absolute sweet hearts that make you feel as if you are a personal guest of the Hoy Como Ayer family. And for any extra need you need met, both owners of the club are ALWAYS present... and the hostess is always willing to help doing double duty as hostess and wonder-woman. The music is rich and energetic---and totally LIVE---aside from the DJ'ed music inbetween sets and after all the shows are over. it closes at around 4 AM---reservations recommended but not required. some artists include---Albita Rodriguez, Amaurry Gutierrez, Luis Bofill, Malena Burke, and Cristina Rebull.You dance all night long and leave wanting more!
My sister took me there when i first moved here from Chicago and I've been back about a zillion times---I've even gone with my kids and they loved it---GO! It's a definite must1