“Fun but It needs more TLC!” 3 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Miami Children’s Museum (MCM) is dedicated to enriching the lives of all children by fostering a love of learning and enabling children to realize their highest potential. We encourage visitors of all ages to play, learn, imagine and create. We are a non-profit educational institution that meets the needs of all children in our multicultural community. We offer interactive exhibits, programs, and learning materials related to arts, culture, community and communication. MCM’s Vision: It is our vision to be recognized as a premier institution serving children and their families while inspiring children to learn about themselves and the culturally diverse community we live in through the arts, literacy, and early childhood education.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Miami, Florida
12 attraction reviews
“Fun but It needs more TLC!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

It was good, and entertaining for the kids, just not very clean and some of the stuff is just really old and looks in bad conditions.
But it was an over all fun experience.

Visited February 2012

Florida
11 attraction reviews
“A nice change of pace...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

This was a good (air conditioned!) change of pace from our usual trip to Miami Metro Zoo.
We went on the first weekend of the month with my B of A bank card and I got a free admission. It's a little pricey if you are taking the whole clan and are not a Miami/Dade resident--even more if you are not a Floridian!
The food is limited--there is a tiny Subway at the entrance with very little seating. The gift shop is VERY pricey and lacks smaller, cheap souvenirs like a variety of pencils, etc.
There were several exhibits, including an arts and crafts area, which they both liked.
That being said, I am glad I took my 4 year old. She and her friend had a good time, but I think having a buddy to explore with made it more fun for both of us. I would not recommend this museum for children older than 8.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
“Fantastic day out with my 2 & 4 year old”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Just spent a great afternoon here with my girls and husband. So much to do, see, learn and play with. The downstairs area is set up so kids can play at different occupations with rooms set up like a bank, hospital, dentist, fire station, construction and vet. There is a small soft play area for under 1's too. Upstairs is a cruise ship, music area, art gallery, real working cranes to play with, motor boats and the teddy bear area which has a reading corner and some games. The highlight for me was the wizard of oz area. It is so well thought out, loads of education but fun activities based loosely around the story. We played here for ages and even hubby and me had a go at some of the activities. There is an outdoor playground within the museum for the kids to burn off some energy and we finished with a climb on the climbing wall.
This museum is great fun and well worth a visit. The only downside is the food, it's a subway. You could bring your own snacks but you can't eat inside the museum. I'd say the museum suits ages 2 - 10.

Central NJ
3 attraction reviews
“Terrible!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I took my 20 month old to museum while visiting Florida. Having visited numerous children's museum in the north east I was expecting something very different. This place was awful! There were few activities suitable for my son.

What was for him was either broken or very limited. The blocks were grimy. The music area had a couple tambourines but all other instruments were broken. At the cruise ship a motorized boat was disabled.

The construction zone, a favorite of my son's, was very limited. There were a few hard hats and some blocks but that was it. No trucks or anything to grab a kid's attention.

There was a Wizard of Oz exhibit that had nothing to offer. All the kids could do was push buttons to make sounds or light ups.

As mentioned earlier, my son has been to a bunch in the NY area. We are members of the Please Touch Museum in Philadelphia and were able to enter the Miami Museum for free because of our membership ($16 otherwise). He is used to just walking in and going to play. I usually have to drag him to another exhibit to explore. At this museum he willingly followed me around as if looking for something to play with. We were out of there in 40 minutes.

I could see an older child enjoying some aspects of the museum. I would definitely skip this if your children are young, trust me, they won't have a lot of fun.

Miami
52 attraction reviews
“Boring”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My kids are 9 and 11. They did not like this place. It is geared for young kids. The location is nice. It is pricey considering its a museum and pretty boring. I dont think we will be back

Visited April 2012