“Great pre-cruise hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great pre-cruise hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

As an Elite Marriott member, we always stay at Marriott properties. We always hope for the best, but anticipate problems. There is no such thing as a perfect stay, but this came pretty darn close.

After a delay in our flight, we arrived in Miami at 11 pm. Upon arrival, do not go down to Ground Transportation. Instead, walk outside the doors and wait for the shuttle. It is a red and white shuttle bus that says Miami Airport South on the front. The driver was extremely friendly and helped us with our bags. A few more quick stops and we were at the hotel, which shares the property with the Courtyard Marriott.

Upon entering the facility, you will be taken aback by the beautiful interior. This is no typical airport hotel as the decor is fashionable and high end. I arrived at the front desk and Alisa, the manager, waited on me. In the shuttle they had a continuous video about the Pure rooms so I thought I would inquire about it. Instead of going to the 7th floor Concierge Level, we ended up on the 6th floor Pure level. If you or anyone you are staying with has allergies or asthma, try this room. You immediately notice a difference once inside. The air is clean and I was excited about a decent night's sleep. Before bed we went down to the restaurant, Cane Fire Grille. Incredible -- really! It was late, but we were hungry so we had a few little plates and some drinks. The black bean soup was a large bowl -- filling and tasty. The yuca planks with 3 mojos was so good I wanted more. The Ahi tuna with tostones and avocado crema was delicious and served with a spicy mango salsa. I tried the Caipirinha - a Brazilian drink that was well worth trying. Went to bed and slept soundly in the comfortable and cushiony beds.

In the morning, we were up early to work out. This, unfortunately, was not the highlight of my stay. The "exercise room" is in between the two hotels by the pool. It looks as if it is housed in a previously functioning motel. Can't think of another way to phrase that. The room was hot upon entering and never got any better. The air conditioning didn't work and the two small fans were no help. The equipment and the floor needs a serious cleaning and replacement of some of the used and dated machines. The treadmill by the mirror actually has tape on it and skids (if you have used an old treadmill in the past, you know what I mean). The elliptical felt like mud and possibly needs a tune up. Some of the machines at the back wall were so old and dirty, I tried (really I did) but gave up quickly and used the free weights. Additionally, the towels in the gym are the big pool towels. Why oh why can't you have smaller towels? We loved the size of the gym and the the amount of equipment in it, but it needs a good cleaning.

After showering, we went down to breakfast in the Cane Fire Grille. Our waiter, Miguel, was an absolute angel and delight. He waited on us and checked back frequently without being overly intrusive or overbearing. The breakfast buffet is $19, but includes pastries, fresh fruit, oatmeal, eggs, sausage, bacon, potatoes, cereal, and an omelet and waffle station. The omelet and waffle station is manned and you need to request what you would like. Unfortunately, for the better part of our meal there was no one there so we didn't get a chance to eat any of that. However, the rest of the buffet was fantastic. Normally, we are used to dry eggs, rubbery sausage, dried toast, etc. The food was spectacular! Incredibly fresh fruit including blackberries and lychees; the oatmeal was yummy and had toppings including brown sugar and raisins; perfectly cooked sausage and bacon and they were even crispy; eggs florentine -- made constantly so the tomato was slightly cold and the muffin crisp (almost impossible to achieve on a buffet); the potatoes were cooked with onions and peppers and fresh, fresh, fresh; egg wraps with eggs, cheese, and meat (ham?); a European style layout of meats, cheeses, and hard boiled eggs; an assortment of cold cereal, milk, and yogurt parfaits. The pastries were truly yummy and not the hard as rock typical finds -- they had a little pastry that tasted like baklava. Yummy! Without the eggs and waffles, the buffet is $16. Breakfast for three including coffee and juice: $54. However, we had booked a room rate that included breakfast for two and was well worth doing so.

The negatives: Although the hotel is under renovation and working hard to improve the appearance of the hotel throughout the facility, I wish the Pure rooms had a full renovation throughout. The 4x4 white ceramic 80's tiles are definitely dated. Additionally, using the hot water in our room required waiting about 5 minutes for the shower. I can get past that, but I imagine if I was here on business I might not be so agreeable. When we woke up we noticed that they were paving the parking lot below us. Not much noise, but when we returned from breakfast around 10 am, the noise was hard to miss. It was coming from above us and we aren't sure what it was, but I can assure you that had I been sleeping or trying to work -- management would have heard my mouth from my room. We weren't given any notice about the noise and it is loud enough to drown out the TV at almost the highest volume.

Having said that, this is a great hotel and I intend to stay here in the future as a pre- or post-cruise hotel. They do offer a shuttle to the port for $11 per person, but we opted for a taxi instead. They also have a Hertz desk inside by the lobby, a nice large Starbucks, and a constantly updated airline monitor for departures. Thanks to all of the employees at this facility for a great stay, especially Alisa and Miguel.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
GMMIAAP, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
Thank you for your insight to our changing hotel. Your insights to our parking and health club are the last frontier of a major re-invention of the Marriott Miami Campus. The parking lot will be completed by mid June 09 and we are very excited about our 2800 sq.ft. state of the art health club targeted to open mid July. I sincerely appreciate your comments about our staff, we feel they truly represent Legendary Service. We look forward to your return to experience a Traveler's Oasis!

John Mulrey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Polish first
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2009

I got a good room rate, but there is a $11/day charge for self parking and about $13 for internet (in room). There are 4 computers in the lobby which are also available for general use (large screen, nice keyboard). There is a Starbucks open from 6 to 6 in the lobby.

Everything has been renovated: lobby, restaurant, rooms (new furniture, 42 inch LCD, granite countertop). Of course, it's still the standard room size, not incredibly large, but OK.

Location is very close to the airport.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Region of Waterloo, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

My husband & I and my brother and his wife stayed here for two nights prior to a cruise. We were very impressed with the room which was spacious, clean and very comfortable - in fact the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in! The amenities in the bathroom were very nice including an abundance of big fluffy towels. We enjoyed the flat-screen t.v. and my husband utilized the available computers in the business center as well. We were dealt with at the desk in a very friendly, efficient manner. I enjoyed the pool area which was large and very well maintained. Although, there was some construction going on - it seems to be almost completed and probably is by now. It did not bother us in the least. We did not eat in the restaurant as it was a tad pricey and found there were not too many other restaurants in the area. The only other downside is you have to pay for parking. We got an excellent deal on Priceline and so it was not a big deal. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2009

I am at the new Cane Fire Grill at the Miami Airport Marriott scoping out the space for our Latin America Communicators lunch in a few weeks, and I love the space. The skylights make it open and full of light, and the decor and neon curves on the wine storage space you walk past to get to the seating make it fresh and bright. The staff has been extremely friendly and showed me the space where we will be having our luncheon, including recommending how we could close it off with some curtains that will still give us the feeling of being in the restaurant but provide some privacy as well.

But I have to say that what I love most about the space is the high-top conference style table where I'm sitting right now that lets me plug in my laptop and phone charger through a row of convenient plugs right on the tabletop. The second I saw it, I was drawn - laptop roller bag in tow - to sit there. I'm also sitting here with two other people who are working online on the very hip Sony Vaio computers set up here while they're also having breakfast. The flat screen is tuned to CNN, but the volume is off, and there is some nice but not overwhelming or musacky music in the background. It is perfect for business travelers who want to get some work done while they eat - they don't have to stoop and search for an outlet or sit alone with the laptop awkwardly perched among the breakfast dishes.

This space is space is ideal for business travelers looking for a great stay near the Miami Airport. This is definitely above and beyond your typical airport hotel!

Angie Moncada
(add)ventures

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
J0aquin, Director of Sales & Marketing at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to write the great feedback. We are very proud of our new product and our service levels. Please let me know if I can help you accomodate your business meeting here in Miami.
Look forward to hear from you.
Thanks again,
Joaquin Cruz
Directos of Sales & Marketing
Marriott Miami Airport Campus
joaquin.cruz@marriott.com
maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2009

I can't say enough about this Hotel, the service was very good and after the renovation this Hotel is not an Airport Hotel. The lobby, the restaurant it very nice and pretty but what I love the most was the service.

Keep the good work!!
I"ll be back soon

Madison

• Liked — the service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

this was a room with a postage stamp size bathroom. at the price i paid i expect a bathroom that is larger. the hotel bar and resturant are very orverpriced. noise level is very high. construction in and around hotel didn't help. i will never stay in this hotel again.

• Liked — location to airport
  • Disliked — overpriced resturant, small bathroom, noise level high
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
tampa fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

AVOID THIS "HOTEL".
The building is under construction and it is a major hassle getting around it all. My car was covered with dirt and debris.

No one knew or cared where the "park and fly" part of the parking area was INCLUDING the woman at the "security gate".

Worst of all, the front desk does NOT know what they are doing. When I presented a major problem to the front desk "manager" I was put off and my concerns were virtually IGNORED. She was NOT helpful and in fact very defensive. She should be fired! She told me that she would present my problem to the assistant manager of the facility and they would get back to me. When I heard NOTHING from them, I called and spoke with the "assistant manager". She obviously was never informed of my situation! When I explained SHE TOO was very defensive and not the least bit apologetic. I was told that she would get back to me, but to this day, had not!

This is what the Marriott considers the "hospitality business"????? LOOK ELSEWHERE FOR A ROOM!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — the attitude of the front desk manager as well as the assistant manager of the facility
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Miami Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!