“crime over miami” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #37 of 130 hotels in Miami
new york
“crime over miami”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

The title says it all, it actually was the only thing that prevented this place from getting a full five stars.
More on that at the bottom...
2 areas of note before going in dept
1) this hotel is not near downtown; at all. its by the airport and the crowd echoes that. a cab ride to south beach will run ya
2) while not transient, its still miami. watch your wallet... read on.....
This property apparently was remodeled recently (or so i was told) I stayed here for a week long business conference, and must say, by and large for the most part, they took care of us quite well. The building is kept in very good clean shape, and the staff up till the last night was very accommodating. We were a very large crowd (few hundred people) and they made sure things were running like clockwork; conference rooms were kept in good shape, meals prepared etc etc. The conference rooms, that came in all shapes and sizes, including the top floor skyline room were clean and current. The lobby (filled with all sorts of airport people, word has it this is where the cruiselines and airlines keep ya if there is trouble) was attractive, had a classy sportsbar type place, a starbucks, a small canteen 24 convenient store and very refreshing ice water, with lemon and orange. Important though, there were not enough computers; this may have changed since I have been there but there were only about 4-6 if I remember correctly. Comfy couches and nice futuristic artwork and lighting. Since we were here for conference we experienced everything this hotel had to offer, including the catered breakfast, which was very good, especially the mini omelets. The dinner in the ballroom was as well, well prepared. This is Miami, the staff (cleaning and waitstaff) were very helpful, however slow with the english language. slow. s-l-o-w. esss, ellll, owwwwe, double-youuuuu. think that conswello girl on that family guy tv show. yeah.
The gym is one of the best and plentiful a hotel can offer. No closet with a beat down treadmill and stationary bike with no seat. This was a big room with a soft floor. Stretch balls and free weights galore, a yoga area and even tv's. The gym where I live is good and has less then this hotel. The equipment overlooks the pool area, which as well, is very, very nice. Its not tropical, but it does have a nice large pool and hot tub (with very strong jets) and a nice bbq type area where for some groups they have nightly midnight snacks at the pool. I cant lie, they were yummy. The hot tub jets were not the only strong jets here, on certain days the flight patterns at the airport only a mile or 2 away gave way to the occasional jet taking off or landing, so there is some jet noise, sometimes they flew very close to the high rise! The jet noise is barely audible from inside the rooms though, however when there are a abundance of 'younger crowds' security locks the gate to the pool on request at night. This is a inconvenience because other guests can not use it if they wish, or they get in trouble for hopping the gate.
The rooms were updated and plush. A little on the small side, but did not feel cramped. The beds were some of the most comfortable I ever stayed on. The windows do not have a deck area overlooking the pool, apparently they did before the revamp, but would have been a nice addition. This is a nice, well maintained property, and everyone in my group enjoyed themeless. If you are by the airport or are holding a conference it is recommended. HOWEVER....
The last night my cell phone was stolen; right out from under me. I went for my nightly dip in the hot tub, instead of finding the usual airport layover crowd, there were drunks with tattoos, and a stereo. They seemed nice yes, however my cell phone and room key i left on the chair with my towel just inches away were gone as i discovered when i got out; only minutes after they did as well. How nice to have something stolen right out in front of you. This of course, is not the hotels fault, however what unfolded thereafter ... well, you decide...
I raced to the lobby, called my number; sim card already out, its probably been sold already on ebay. Figuring it may have slipped in the bushes the nightworker gave me his flashlight (very nice) and i ransacked the bushes to no avail. I even went to the other 2 hotels in the complex/community and asked if a cell phone surfaced. I told the front desk what happened. I told them a description of the people. At least they were honest and said, they checked them in late about a hour ago but it is not their policy to knock on doors over such issues and they just need a bigger sign by the pool "not responsible for lost or stolen". Considering the evidence I had I told them calmly yet sternly I was going to call the police. They directed me to "a policeman" who could help. Of course hes the night rent-a-cop, who actually, made things worse; talking to me in a tone that made me feel I was the perpetrator ("IM just telling YOU ...SIR.. whats going to happen with this action") He then gave me a form to fill out; you know the type "item stolen:____, what time:___where:___ etc" I asked where it was going and what can be done, and he just kept saying "you KNOW where its going.... *interrupts* you KNOW where its going" when I said no i dont know where its GOING he just said "in a record". When I asked what record he said "our records, in a file, and if you keep asking questions we will call the police". When I jumped for joy at hearing they were getting the police involved he told me to calm down and the cops were not coming for them, they would be coming for me.
-here is a friendly reminder to all travelers; remember, if god forbid items are stolen and the hotel tries to take it in their own hand, they take a note/report and it sits on a shelf. Filing with the hotel is different from filing with the police, which they do not want you to do, then it goes on public record. After being treated like a criminal from the hotel cop, I went to the phone in the lobby, began to dial miami police, when the front desk worker came over and told me if i bring the city police into this i can leave the property. "theres no need for that sir, we will make a report of it right here". Suffice it to say, all three parties got their way, I got the miami police over, the police got involved, and the hotel gave me the boot. True, by the time the police get a warrant for the hotel to hand the name and room number over of the thief's who took my phone they probably left already, but at least writing this exercises my right to free speech in a public forum and brings attention to how this was handled. Its not a crime ridden town (despite another person in my party having his computer stolen from a van in downtown miami on this trip as well) but watch your back. From here my trip concluded with a drive up to thunderbird flea market in ft lauderdale where i proceeded to buy a new cell phone; the exact same model as the one that was stolen, slightly used, probably stolen as well.. who knows, maybe it was my own.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
David_Cesario, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate all the positive comments about our decor, food, conference services, pool area and gym. I am very happy to hear that it was all to your liking.
It is very unfortunate that your cell phone was stolen and I can certainly understand your frustration. We do train our staff to follow certain protocol when it comes to situations such as these, and I will ensure to share your comments with my staff.

Thank you for staying with us.

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Boonton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Whenever my husband and I come to Miami, unless we're staying at the South Beach Marriott, we always stay at this Marriott complex, which includes the Marriott, a Residence Inn, a Fairfield Inn, and a Courtyard. Our favorite is the full-service Marriott. Since Marriott is our main hotel in general, we qualify for the concierge level, which is wonderful. It provides breakfasts, happy hour goodies, and desserts later in the evening. Antoinette in the concierge lounge always remembers us. In fact, on one of our trips, we were going out to dinner and she saved us some luscious chocolate cake when we got back. She's been with Marriott for many years, and you can tell. She's warm and wonderful. The hotel itself is very convenient to Miami Airport (although I must say Miami Airport is not one of our favorites--we usually come through Ft Lauderdale), and when you stay at Marriotts as often as we do, you get free wi-fi and parking. We have also stayed at the other Marriotts within the complex, and they are all fine, but the full-service is our favorite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
David_Cesario, General Manager at Miami Airport Marriott, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments about our hotel and staff. I am pleased to hear that we are your favorite!
I will be sure to recognize Antonine for providing you with excellent service and going the extra mile.

We will see you on your next visit!

Tallahassee, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed 2 nights at this property for a conference. I really liked the place, and I recommend staying there. But it seemed everything was just 1 step away from being perfect. The room was nicely appointed; I just wish it had a channel guide. The room was clean; except for the make up smudges on the pillowcases when I checked in, and again the next day after I received service. The conference lunch food was superb; the breakfast pastries and desserts left me wanting more. The Cane Fire Grille had a great atmosphere, and the bartenders and service staff were excellent--yet they were out of key lime pie and the manager told me they closed at 11:00 and the bar told me they closed at 12:00, with the bar ending up being correct. The workout facility is excellent, the lobby is spacious and beautiful, their elevators wait for you open on the lobby floor, they've got a departure and arrival screen, and the noise from take offs has been mitigated despite its close proximity. But they vending machines either weren't working or would spit out the wrong soda. And upon checkout the parking gate wouldn't accept my ticket. All in all there was never an overwhelmingly negative experience, just a number of small things that are keeping this hotel from being absolutely perfect.

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to us. I am very happy to hear that you would stay with us again and that you enjoy our property. I will definetely look into the small items you mentioned to ensure that your next stay here is Perfect.

virginia beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

as a platium elite member, i have been to Marriott's all over the world. this one has a great lobby and great service at the front desk but lacks in other areas of hotel. upon checkin i received both points and a food item which was nice since i was on vacation with my daughter who check out the ice cream and water on the memu. the lady checking in was great. room was small but had a awesome view of downtown. parking was free fro elite members but i had trouble with my room key not working on the gate. i ended up going back in and getting it fixed which still didn't work so the key is to push the white button and the gate opened. my biggest concern was the pool area. the first morning i wanted to use the pool all the gates were locked and it was 8am. there was no pool hours that i saw but asked the front desk who said it opened at 6 am and to let them know the next morning if security hadn't unlocked it. the next morning i went down around 6:30 and it was open but there wasn't any towels available and the placed was trashed from the night before. i left around 8:30 am a hotel staff was just coming to bring in more towels and fix the pool area. if you open the pool at 6am try and have the pool cleaned and ready to go when it is open. overall i would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay. We truly value feedback as this is the best way to gauge the level of service we are providing and prevent issues from occuring.
I am happy to inform you that we have already addressed the incident you experienced and assure you it will not happen again.
It is great to hear that our staff service, and lobby were to your liking and we hope you will come back to visit us again soon.

Stayton, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nothing extra special about this Marriott. The Concierge lounge was way too small. Very hard to find a seat. Also not open enough hours (weekends) Checkin was typical and speedy. The pool area was nice but shared with the other Marriott properties next door.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review. It is good to hear that you were pleased with the check in process and with our pool area. I am happy to inform you that we are wokring on improvements to our concierge lounge, and hope you can enjoy it on your next visit.

Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

I travel a LOT for business; I guess I'm hard to impress. The Miami Airport Marriott was absolutely fantastic. Events manager helped me set up Internet connectivity in conference room in no time at all. Server at restaurant treated me like an old friend. Bartender even poured me a new drink when the first one wasn't exactly to my liking. Front desk staff helped me print boarding passes when their kiosk was down. This place DOES IT RIGHT, and my sincere congratulations and appreciation to the general manager.

Room Tip: Lower number rooms (n00, n01, ...) are closest to elevator.