“Not worth the trip” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #696 of 3,655 Restaurants in Miami
New York City, New York
“Not worth the trip”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Very disappointed. Service was terrible, we walked away after waiting one hour for our food. The items we did get where all fried and greasy, despite the heat of the night we sat outside because inside was unbearable due to the smell. Not a place to go back to

• Visited May 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Miami Beach, Florida
“Always a treat- everything is quite delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

Great local spot in Midtown, food is innovative and interesting and also quite yummy. Great selection of veggies and fish options (for those of us non-meat eaters) and everything I've tried has been top notch,. Service is also excellent. And it's reasonably priced - another great treat. Bring a crowd so that you can sample lots of dishes. Have been there 4 times in the past 2 months for lunch and dinner and can't wait to go back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami Beach, Florida
“Modern (Fun) Chinese in Midtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Chinese food near the Beach is most often either retro (chop suey take out ala 1957) or fa-fa-fa (ala system restaurants out of London). I am pleased to announce Blackbrick is neither. It is authentic in terms of riffs on the flavors of Asia without being anywhere near self-serious; I mean this is a Chinese restaurant with homemade ice cream (you know they invented it - but try finding it in China) . It is local -a gator entree and cuban coffee ice cream with oreos. It is playful; the menu runs the gamut from dim sum to large mains to noodle dishes. It is a place that makes its own fortune cookies that are more reminiscent of light biscotti. In sum, it is kind of like a Wes Anderson movie about a Chinese restaurant, a wide ranging adventurous romp.

Like its sibling across the big empty lot (unmowed park?) in the middle of midtown, Sakaya, the food in concept is quite good. Hopefully unlike Sakaya, the chef will watch CLOSELY that execution stays true to the vision.

At the moment, that is not a worry. The pork belly is juicy, the egg rolls are large and crunchy, the lamb with cumin and flat noodles is delicious if a bit cumin-y. As noted, there is no shortage of different items - including lots of duck, much veggie, and even rabbit.

I am glad to see that Miami has decided to participate in the Asian century. Now, we will not miss out on the culinary side of things, in a typical whacky Miami way.

There are cocktails aplenty

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, Florida, USA
“Great addition to a thriving area”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

We tried Blackbrick for the first time and were very satisfied. The small but stylish room is lined with an open kitchen fronted by a "chef's counter" and a nice little bar, where you can also dine.
The weather has been amazing so the tables outside were also filled, and there is a large open green space in front so it's very pleasent. Our server's recommendations were right on, from the won-ton noodle soup with homemade udon-type noodles and amazing roasted pork slices, what was called a "stuffed bread" but actually more a huge, flat pan-fried pork dumpling, seared diver scallops in a black bean type sauce with fresh farmer vegatables like fava beans and baby carrots, etc. We each tried a Wynwood Brewing Co. draft beer, a blonde and a hoppy ale and both were excellent. Dessert was amazing, a house-made (by the chef's wife we were told) Pumpkin Trifle, served in a tall glass with crumbles of what seemed like homemade ginger snap. Daniel the host checked in a few times to make sure all was well. This was all during the so-called :"soft opening" so I can't wait to return soon when the menu is finalized.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Well done.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I have to say I had no expectations coming in to Blackbrick last night. This place is run by Chef Richard Hales who also has Sakaya and a Dim Sum food truck. Although both of those places had great food at one point the quality recently has fallen off dramatically. Sakaya now feels like it's being run like a fast food restaurant. But I have to say I was pleasantry surprised by BB last night. To start I had the cucumber salad marinated in a spicy but balanced vinegar and soy dressing. It wasn't overly sweet which is what I expect with "Chinese" food. This dish was right on the money like the others. Next I had the twice cooked kale that was just plain delicious. Again balanced with a little kick and no sticky cloyingly sweet sauce. Next came the half duck, neck to thigh. This dish was fun and yummy but hard to eat outside with out lighting which made finding little bones a bit of a surprise. The one thing I will say about this is they must use a certain peppercorn or chili that effects the palate. It isn't hot or spicy but odd. It's almost like biting into miracle fruit. It doesn't change the taste of your food but there is definitely a chemical reactions happening in your mouth. It's very off putting. The whole dish doesn't have this effect but every now and again you bite a seed or something and your mouth tingles....it almost goes numb. Lastly I had the pork belly that was a bit too sweet for me. Many places like to lacquer their pork belly in thick sweet sauces which I understand but it was 1 degree too much. However the broth it sat it was wonderful. Oh! Did I mention the price? Fair by any Midtown standard. The portions are neither obnoxiously small or large but for example the duck was $16. I think that's a great price considering if I walked one block south and had a dish that size they'd charge me double the price with half the quality. Hopefully this doesn't change because I wouldn't pay any more than I did for a dinner here. Keep it up BB you're off to a good start.

• Visited December 2013