“It´s a shame, but going down the hill” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Miami, Florida
“It´s a shame, but going down the hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Matsuri was always our first choice for a good japanese food in Miami.
I went there with my spouse and two close friends, expecting to have a nice and good experience, as we normally had.
Unfortunately, that WAS NOT THE CASE.
As I always try to be fair with places, I have to say that food still OK, but not as good as it used to be.
I arrived there WITH A RESERVATION, and we had to wait for almost half a hour to get a table. Really?
Waitress was not willing to explain the dishes; maybe to busy for that or just did not want to...
It was one of the cold nights we had here in Miami but the AC was still at its full power.. We were almost freezing inside... (and we were not the only customers complaining about it). We requested at least 5 times to turn it down and nobody; absolutely nobody was able to do it... Finally the manager came and told us that AC was not on! We were shocked and frozen at the time.
To finalize the bad experience, our waitress brought us the bill but we never asked for that... Rude.. very rude!!
it is a shame as we are big lovers of Japanese food, but unfortunately I am not going back to Matsuri..

• Visited January 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Miami Beach, Florida
“Terrible service. Will not return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Although the food is okay, this place has gone down the tubes since I was last there a few months ago. We showed up for a reservation and had to wait almost half an hour after the time we reserved. Our server never explained any of the dishes despite our asking. Then, towards the end of the meal, without having yet ordered dessert, she brought us the check. I then told her we had not yet ordered dessert, and she took the check back.
As for the food, the portions have gotten a lot smaller. The highlight of the dinner were the sushi rolls, which are tasty and authentic. But not good enough to put up with the lousy service.

• Visited January 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“Japanese really”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Don't expect a very fancy restaurant, but the food is really good, and is easy to evaluate by the "local" Japanese people in the restaurant...they approve it and is the best reference you can have. Reservation for dinner is recommended.

• Visited December 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We drove 25km from our hotel to eat there and if it were 60km I would say it still worth.
They have a huge variety of sushis/sashimi as well as hot japanese food.
The fish was fresh like it swam into the restaurant itself. One of the best I ever been.
Come and try! You won't regret.

Jupiter, Florida, United States
“Japanese Perfection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is an awesome restaurant. It's a little bit difficult to find and sort of out-of-the-way but well worth the visit. The entrance is somewhat obscure and difficult to see and there is very limited roadside signage. The tables are quite small and the restaurant is noisy but fun. That is the only negative. Everything else regarding this establishment is truly positive and way over-the-top. It is what I think is truly authentic Japanese restaurant. Why do I think it is authentic? Well, there are always many Japanese people frequenting this establishment. The interesting thing is that most of the people that work there are not Asian. Nevertheless, I give this restaurant top scores on every level. The quality of the food, the variation in flavors, the value and portions for the price can't
be beat. I have never been to Japan or anywhere in the Orient however I have been to many many Asian restaurants between Miami, New York and California. This is definitely the best that I have tried. With all the options in Miami, this is truly one of my favorite restaurants. I probably eat there two or three times a month. I have taken friends and coworkers and they have also said the same positive thing that I have. They are all now regulars at this establishment.

• Visited October 2013