“Better than it looks from the outside” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #633 of 3,650 Restaurants in Miami
Miami Shores, Florida, United States
“Better than it looks from the outside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

I don't usually trust a place that offers two distinctly different cuisines. And I would NEVER order sushi delivered from a place where I haven't seen how the fish is handled first. Yet this place is close to our home in Miami Shores and we love both styles of cooking equally. My daughter, age 10, her Uncle Steve and I have eaten inside this restaurant twice, and one time (July 16, 2012) I ordered for delivery. Since the early 80s I've tried nearly every dish available on a typical Thai or Japanese menu. Some things I love, some things I don't, but I can distinguish between fresh and frozen or overcooked and underdone. The bottom line: I have never received an item from this restaurant that was poorly prepared. To be fair, this place executes its menu items as though there are two kitchens and two chefs, or the kitchen staff is schizophrenic. I disagree that the sushi is tasteless--maybe because I like stuff like wasabi and soy sauce to liven things up a bit. My favorites, the orange "caviar," eel, tuna belly, octopus, dolphin, were perfect--the nigiri had fish pieces that were not too thick, yet the sashimi was thinly sliced to melt on the tongue. The rolls are more traditional than innovative. On the Thai side, the massaman curry is as good as any I've tried anywhere else. Hearty and full-flavored with cardamom, tamarind, coconut, cashew, chunks of potato and chiles, this dish is soul-satisfying. The pad thai is wonderful, not too sweet and generously spiked with garlic, coriander and lime. Also excellent was the Spicy Squid Salad ("Jumping Squid") although they kept the hot chiles to a minimum since it was a delivery order. Chewy-tender pieces of squid cross-hatched and grilled lightly bathed in a chile-lime-scallion dressing simply explode in your mouth. The service is typically friendly and efficient. As your food is ready, it's brought to you. The restaurant interior is restrained in Japanese style, not over the top with color and wacky statuettes of elephant gods, a bit worn like the exterior. I only wish the food that was delivered was hotter, but then our house is kind of hard to find. We like this place a lot and will continue to patronize it.

• Visited February 2013