“Was not able to leave hotel premises” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #53 of 129 hotels in Miami
New York City, New York
“Was not able to leave hotel premises”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have never stayed at an Aloft previously so decided to try it out since it was recommended to me as a new hotel in the area. I had a time sensitive event to go to the next morning and was not able to leave the hotel premises with my car as there was a "marathon" going on outside as I was told. They had no idea when it was going to end only that it had already been going on for the previous 3 hours. I asked for any alternatives and they offered me none. Being able to come and go is an absolute necessity at a hotel. Miami is not a place where you can walk ANYWHERE.

I had rented a car for $60/day for two days to give myself the flexibility of coming in and out. I used 10,000 Starwood points for the worse Starwood experience I've ever had. The experience was worth none of my points. My only option was to leave my bags and my car and to come back for it later. I walked three avenues and was harassed by men on the street trying to talk to me.t It was hot and I needed to get to my event. I stopped at the gas station to call a cab and could not get anybody. Eventually I coordinated to be picked up by a personal contact, but these plans could have been made earlier if I was better informed. The hotel claims to have found out at 6am when the set up began. Why wasn’t there a note sent to the guests to let them know they wouldn’t be able to leave?

I came back around 3pm and the event was over. I spoke to the front desk manager who explained that since they were only opened for three months they had not been in the city's database of hotels. I confirmed with them that all other hotels in the area were informed except for this hotel. I requested that I be given an all or partial credit in points back for my extremely negative experience and was told "absolutely not" by the manager. I have been a Starwood member for quite some time and was appalled that Starwood had hotels like this.

My event was very important to me and the only reason I flew to Miami for one day. The event only lasted 30 minutes and based on the non-resolutions that Aloft provided me I should have missed it if I did not make my own last minute accommodations. The hotel takes no responsibility for them not knowing about the event until it actually began. I can only assume that they would have said the same thing if I had a flight the next morning and I missed my flight. They had no idea when the event was going to end and could not tell me when I could leave the hotel. The fact that they wouldn't try to rectify my bad experience is absurd to me. This hotel has been opened since August 1st and based on my experiences is not ready for guests. You can't claim ignorance and shirk responsibilities just because you're a new hotel. My conclusion is that you should not be accepting guests if there are more chances of you holding others captive but I guess money always talks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
M_Cartin, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Miami Brickell, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. We will be sure to make not of this situation and ensure that it does not happen again. Please contact our GM, Humberto Fermo at humberto.fermo@aloftmiamibrickell.com with regards to your SPG points. Again, thank you for your feedback.

85 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here just for the night as I needed something close to the Port. Check-in was quick and everyone was very accommodating. If you like the urban modern hip look this is a great colorful place to stay. The rooms are nice, comfortable and the price was very competitive. Valet parking was fast. The complimentary continental breakfast was great. I was glad they didn't have the boring fake scrambled eggs, stale waffles or biscuit and gravy. Instead they offered fresh but simple pastries, cold cuts, cheese, fruit etc. European style. They were also able to accommodate a late checkout. I recommend this place to anyone who enjoys the modern atmosphere. I already booked my next stay here.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review. We are excited to hear you had a great experience at our hotel and enjoyed our spacious rooms, modern design, and tasty breakfast. We are excited that you will be coming back soon! Again, thanks for your review.
Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have stayed at 5 different Alofts in two different countries in the past 3 months. I've been incredibly happy. Unfortunately, the Aloft Miami Brickell didn't live up to my expectations.

Pros:
The location is great.
The parking (mandatory valet) was incredibly convenient.
The staff was friendly.
The building is nice, the rooms are clean, and the beds are comfortable.

Cons:
The rooms are loud. Perhaps the construction is shoddy, or the hallways echo, but I could hear every opening and shutting door from my neighbors.
There were literally four different keycard malfunctions in the 52 hours I was there.
I had an unfortunate situation with a neighbor with a crazy barking dog at 11:00 PM at night (not the hotel's fault at all). I was kind of surprised at what seemed like the front desk staff's lack of urgency or empathy for the situation. I don't want them to kiss my rear end, but I expected a little more of an apology and an assurance that they were going to deal with the problem guests. I imagine that I wasn't the only one whose sleep was disrupted by these inconsiderate guests and I just wanted the two employees at the desk to show some empathy with my anger and frustration!

All this being said, I'll probably return to this location. I like Aloft and I hope that they're just working out some opening kinks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jarred W, thank you for your review. We are glad you liked our great hotel location, convenient valet parking, and comfortable/clean rooms. We appreciate the feedback on the noise and keycards and apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the neighbor. Again, thank you for your review.
Miami, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Prices for the food offered is not worth spending there is no quality selection. My husband brought stale stale candy downstairs at the Re-fuel station. Complimentary breakfast food display was not what I expected. You guys could do so much better being that you guys are new to the area. I hope you guys get a better kitchen staff than what you have that can run and produce quality for your hotel brand.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Cartin, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Miami Brickell, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback on the Re:fuel station and will be sure to pass this along to the appropriate contact. Again, thank you for your review.
Caracas, Venezuela
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

awesome new hotel with a modern, trendy concept, it makes you want to just hang out in the lobby playing pool and zipping drinks by the bar...

rooms are very comfortable and surprisingly spacious, wifi is very fast and the Hotel is full of details: complementary nuts, chocolates and fruits upon arrival, a very nice grab-and-go food bar and a very friendly staff!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
M_Cartin, Starwood Hotels at Aloft Miami Brickell, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you very much for your review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at the Aloft Miami Brickell. We hope to see you again soon!
Key West, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Our stay at the Aloft Miami Brickell was absolutely wonderful. Upon arrival we were greeted and our bags were taken to our room. We brought our two small dogs who travel with us, and when we entered our room there were dog beds and treats waiting for them! The room was immaculate and the staff was attentive and friendly. Everything we asked for was done for us almost before we could finish our question! The location of the hotel is better than we expected - there are great shops and restaurants just over a block away and also a nice park around the corner for the dogs to play. We will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Cartin, Starwood Hotel at Aloft Miami Brickell, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Alex K, thank you very much for your positive review. We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Aloft Miami Brickell. We hope to see you again during your next visit to the area.

Been to Aloft Miami Brickell? Share your experiences!