“Pritikin Not For Weight Loss....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa
Special Offer
Executive Physical
Ranked #1 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Miami
Orlando, Florida
“Pritikin Not For Weight Loss....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

...only.

What a wonderful two week vacation we had at Pritikin!

I wanted to address a misconception I had prior to arriving. The Pritikin Program is not *just* about weight loss. In fact, I would estimate that at least 20% of the amazing participants that attended same time as us were at or near their ideal goal weight and were there to learn how to live a healthier life.

That said, I did drop 3.5 pounds of that "last 5 pounds" we all want to lose (my husband about 6-7) but the dramatic change came in our lab results. In nearly every criteria (blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides) we both improved appreciably. This was our primary goal: to learn to live better, longer, healthier after 50. We live a healthy life and eat well, but "you don't know what you don't know" and even being in the medical business, I learned a boatload.

Everyone seemed to lose weight (some a LOT) but if your goal is strength, flexibility, fitness and living a healthier and long life, I would wholeheartedly endorse the program.

I believe the program is a BARGAIN, given the education and knowledge we gained and the access to world class physicians, clinicians and instructors. What I didn't comprehend prior to arriving was the quality of the lectures. There are 3-4 one-hour lectures each day on critical health topics from atherosclerosis to hormones, from heart disease to diabetes, and I finally learned how to read my lab reports and quickly read food labels (thank you Kimberly).

The value of 24+ lectures alone was worth the cost of the program. Add to that the one on one time with your Pritikin physician several times during the program - plus unfettered access to them, and the daily cooking classes (or as several called it "snack time") and a strong workout and fitness program at the beautiful renovated Trump Doral and spa, and the value is truly phenomenal, as compared to a cruise or other high end vacation. Dr. Danine Fruge was my doctor (ask for her!!!) and she was thorough, thoughtful, had reviewed my information and was genuinely caring. Very cool lady and great instructor. She should have her own TV show. What a wealth of knowledge - coupled with the ability to use humor and verbal illustrations to communicate.

The other participants were fascinating, accomplished and downright entertaining at times and there is a camaraderie and friendship that develops over dinners and Jacuzzis and time in the gym.

I found a non-advertised Florida resident discount code which saved us 10% ($1100) on our two week stay - which we spend on buying cookware - and would like to go back occasionally for a refresher week. About 60% of the participants were return guests - which speaks volumes about the quality of the program.

What I would do differently next time: Bring fewer clothes and shoes. You are pretty much in your exercise clothes most days from early morning until the last lecture ends at 8:30PM, so all the cute resort wear I brought went unused. I WOULD bring a light jacket since going from a sweaty workout to a 74 degree lecture room is quite a temperature transition.

The program seems fairly easy to follow at home and I really like the idea of living an even healthier lifestyle. Wonderful program!

I'd be happy to answer any questions via TripAdvisor - feel free to send me a message!

Room Tip: The newly renovated rooms at Doral were well appointed. There IS construction going on throughout th...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

If you are interested in improving your health, this is the place for you. The two-week stay helped me develop a lifestyle plan that includes healthy eating, daily exercise as part of an active life, and skills for coping with stress. Lectures provided the scientific basis for the program and taught me how to integrate the program into my life. The resort is simply beautiful, and the entire staff is professional, friendly, and positive. This is an investment that will continue to pay health benefits for a lifetime.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

I am just finishing up my first week at Pritikin. It is basically a two-week program, but one week helps out, and it is better than no weeks. First of all, from the moment I checked in to the spa and resort (Donald Trump's Resort in Doral FL), I was greeted by a very friendly and knowledgeable concierge by the name of Wes. He has been employed by Pritikin for 30-plus years. The fitness center staff -- Eric, Scott, Charlie, Andrea, Liz, Deandra, Camille, and team treated us like royalty while we went through our fitness training sessions. The classes, led by doctors, nutritionists, psychologists, etc. were AMAZING! After 1 day, I was off my blood pressure meds thanks to the low salt food they prepare in the restaurant daily. Cooking classes, Yoga, Aquatica, Zumba, nightly walks, move it to music cardio sessions -- awesome. Kim Gomer, Jay Kenny, Gayl Canfield, Ivan Ferran, Frank, the orthopedic guru, Coral Arvon, Ronald Schieb, Danine Fruge, etc. were amazing doctors and specialists and incredible classroom teachers for all of us here. I highly recommend Pritikin. Pritikin is ALL science based, so there is no controversy. You may only lose a few pounds the first week (I lost 5), but it is because this is a program that stresses complex carbs and not a lot of animal proteins. If you want to reverse any disease or ailment that you may have -- this is the place to go to greatly reduce your chances of ever getting heart disease, diabetes, high cholesterol, stroke, Alzheimer's, Dementia, etc. All your current health problems can be reversed as well. You CAN rebuild your skeleton as well. I hope future guests enjoy the gorgeous hotel rooms and amenities as much as I did.

Room Tip: I stayed at the Bobby Jones lodge. Beds were big and plush; service was awesome.
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Pritikin has given me a whole new outlook on my health and happiness! The place is beautiful, the staff is welcoming, helpful and most of all knowledgable. I feel enlightened and hopeful that I have the newly learned skills to take control of my health...no more guessing! I travelled alone and didn't feel lonely at all....this trip happily changed my life.

North Bethesda, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

This is my third trip to Pritikin and each time I learn more about myself and the components necessary for a healthy lifestyle. It isn't just about diet and exercise - it is a total lifestyle path and the immediate results confirm the program's concepts, priorities, and emphasis. Love the staff, love the healthy food, love the amazing exercise options, and especially value the personalization of the experience. I have experienced a much needed recommitment to health, gained the motivation to achieve it, and had fun along the way. Have met wonderful new friends and it has been so nice to see favorite staff members who continue to go out of their way to make a stay here one of the best experiences ever.
The Trump Doral is the home of the Pritikin Center and it is luxurious. You have access to the hotel amenities, including the spa. The pools are fantastic.
I highly recommend a visit to the Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa.

Room Tip: Trump Doral is very comfortable - the Spa Suites are closer, but the walk from the lodges is pleasan...
Plymouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

The week I spent at Pritikin has been one of the most valuable weeks I have ever experienced. Through hard work and education, the amazing people at this facility have prepared me to continue this new healthy lifestyle once I'm home. I wish I could stay another week!

If strongly recommend that you take time to experience the wonder of Pritikin! I have loved every minute! You will learn so much about how easy it is to take control of your health and longevity. Priceless!

• Stayed June 2014
HubertW_GM, General Manager at Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review Pritikin.
We are so happy that you enjoyed our life changing program and hope that next time you visit us, you'll be able to stay for even longer.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I have been to Pritikin three times before, and it is as great as ever!
I highly recommend that you take the time to focus on yourself and change your life. This place never gets old!
Break bad habits easily and effectively, and literally see immediate health results - this was the best choice I've made for myself in a long time.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Pritikin.
We are so happy that you see the benefits of our program, and that you have been such a loyal guest.
We are thrilled to hear that you have embraced the Pritikin lifestyle and we look forward to welcoming you back for visit number 5.

Been to Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa? Share your experiences!