“For a Long Life, Well-Lived!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa
Special Offer
Cooking Like a Pro
Ranked #1 of 35 Specialty lodging in Miami
Chicago, Illinois
“For a Long Life, Well-Lived!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have visited Pritikin at Doral twice: once with my husband and once with my mother. I would like to return annually if I can. Pritikin has a staff of highly credentialed experts who explain how to avoid (or reverse) "diseases of affluence" like obesity, high blood pressure, type II diabetes, coronary artery disease, and so on. For the more fit guests, there are opportunities for focusing on maximizing athletic performance, along with diagnostics for resting metabolic rate, DEXA scanned body composition, etc. It's best to elect the two week stay to get all the information, live the lifestyle, and get trained on how to keep things going when you return home.

The workout menu (in addition to the basic cardio and resistance training: zumba, yoga, tai chi, spinning, aquatics, etc) and specialty training compliments the steady servings of meals and snacks. Optional additional consultations with exercise physiologists, nutritionists, physiotherapists, medical doctors, even psychologists will keep you busy! Try to find time for one of the excellent spa treatments (masseurs are out of this world!) and to learn new skills in the daily cooking classes.

And, fully educated and armed for a renewed life, leave with lower cholesterol (mine dropped 60 points), lower blood pressure (I went from stage 1 hypertension to drug free 115/70) and weight loss momentum!

The price for two weeks in the "slow season" was less than our bill at Canyon Ranch for five days-- Pritikin was a much better and lasting value for me!

Room Tip: Happily, the rooms are being upgraded by the new Doral management (which is separate from the Pritik...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

84 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

I found the Pritikin Longevity Center by accident when I had a few days to kill in-between meetings in Miami. The first time I only stayed a few days and fell in love. I was instantly welcomed by staff and other guests and did not feel awkward or alone in any way. In fact, I made friends I keep in touch with to this day. This time I came back for two weeks to kick off the new year--and my 50th year of life. I needed to make permanent lifestyle changes so that I would be around for my kids and have a vibrant "second half." Although it was an investment, I figured it was less trouble and certainly less expensive than a nervous break-down. So, with family approval, I headed out. This facility is a life-long health curriculum based on the latest nutritional and exercise facts and research with cutting edge medical professionals and researchers leading the classes. On top of that it includes a lovely spa, delicious healthy low-salt and low-fat meals, and personalized fitness training. I have been here just a week, and I feel more energetic than I have in years, my fitness clothes are getting too big, and I have met incredible people from all over the world who make this pilgrimage regularly to ensure a long and energetic life. My "brain fog" is gone, and all of my vital stats (though they were not yet in the danger zone) have gone down drastically in one week. I feel hopeful and positive for the first time in a while. You want to be pampered and lazy? Go to a regular 'ole spa, then head back to your stressful, unhealthy life. If you want to achieve things you never thought you could, and be pampered, spoiled, listened to, validated, and energized--go to Pritikin! Best investment I ever made.

Room Tip: The Doral Resort, where Pritikin is located, has been purchased by Trump International and is underg...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The most incredible two weeks of my life -- fantastic staff, incredible opportunities to learn from experts in their fields, and just this warm -- highly motivating environment created by truly passionate people who just want to help me to succeed and improve my life. I am especially grateful to the fitness team, the cooks and servers, the doctors and nutritionists -- each of you made a tremendous difference in my experience -- but more importantly in how I will live life from this point forward. Truly a stellar program -- from start to finish. Thank you for everything.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

The program is right on and will definitely make you live longer. Do not go with an expectation for service to match the high price of the program. You are paying for the information. If you go expecting deplorable service and very run down rooms, then you will have no problems. They need to have some sort of polishing orientation for the service and restaurant staff. I am sure you would agree waiting 2.5 hours for dinner on a number of occasions is unexceptable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
HubertW_GM, General Manager at Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
I would like to thank you for your comments. As expressed personally when you and I spoke during your stay we acknowledge and apologize for the fact that there were longer than usual waits during the holiday dinner, when guests were taking their time enjoying the evening and dining leisurely.
It is unfortunate that your positive experience in the program was impacted by the challenges you encountered in the dining room.
We addressed the matter with our staff and are confident that there are no other occasions with such an unacceptable wait time.
We are happy that you experienced the benefits of our life saving program and are sorry that your dining experiences overshadowed the knowledge you gained while staying with us.
We are very proud of our team, which we consider a family, and are thankful that you gave us the opportunity to further improve.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I recently spent a week at the Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa in Miami, Florida and thoroughly enjoyed the program. Once cleared by the doctors, the exercise classes, yoga and Tai Chi is fantastic. The food is great - for no salt, no sugar, almost no fat. I was a little disappointed that they use splenda in certain dishes - however the daily menu page indicates which dishes have splenda. This week was a great kick start to a healthy lifestyle and the afternoon lectures were informative - all science based which appealed to me. While the program is excellent the resort -Dural - is sadly in need of a complete overhaul. The resort was recently purchased and is undergoing renovations. I changed rooms after the first night to get away from a mouldy/musty smell that most of the guests in my lodge (#2) also complained about. The other downside to the resort is that it isn't cleaned thoroughly. A plate of crumbs was left outside the Yoga studio almost for the entire week I was there. I treated myself to a massage in the spa, and it was worth it. The Pritikin Center is separate to the Dural resort - so it gets a bit confusing as to who is responsible for the upkeep and cleanliness of all the spaces. Above and beyond all of this, if you need to change your lifestyle to improve your current health or need a kickstart and are willing to adopt this very strict but healthy way to eat, then I would recommend this program. In my short week, my LDL cholesterol had a significant reduction.

Room Tip: The lodge rooms are closest to the renovations so while these are underway, staying in one of the...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
PritikinCenter, General Manager at Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Pritikin Program. We are very happy to hear you had a positive experience kickstarting a healthy lifestyle. We have spoken with both the staff here at Pritikin and Doral to ensure the issue you had with the plate outside the yoga studio does not happen again.

We are all looking forward to the completion of the resort renovations which will include a comprehensive transformation of the facilities which will include 640 completely remodeled guestrooms; revamped main building, lobby, fitness center, ballrooms, pool and spa and more!

The new guestrooms will be adorned in a chic palette of elegant neutrals accentuated with Mahogany wood and gold leaf Spanish revival details. Furnishings will be comprised of lush fabrics and classic herringbone and geometric patterns for additional glamorous touches.

Hubert E. Wewer
Pritikin Longevity Center + Spa at Doral
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

My husband and I have been here for 5 days and already we are feeling better, blood sugar in normal ranges, all blood factors are in range and weight is down. The education is better than anything you can read or hear. Everyone would benefit by attending Prikitin.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

The program is second to none - the education is phenomenal and the staff are wonderful. Very patient and kind, willing to answer any questions you have. The food takes a bit to get used to, but once you adjust it's wonderful too. Highly recommend for anyone looking to improve their health and quality of life.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any groups visiting or tournaments and ask to be placed in a lodge or room away fro...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Pritikin Longevity Center & Spa? Share your experiences!