“Ugh, really????!!!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: SE 8 Street
Description: Chef Kevin Cory specializes in natural Japanese cuisine at NAOE(R). Every Monday through Saturday, Chef Kevin Cory serves a unique Chef's Choice menu $200 per person plus sales tax plus 20% gratuity. As the menu is prepared specially each day, please clear any special requests 10 days in advance. Due to certain limitations, we cannot accommodate allergies to mushrooms, eggs, fish, shellfish, rice, raw, vinegar, alcohol, salt, sugar, legumes, nuts, seeds or gluten.
“Ugh, really????!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

I can't believe how much I payed for what I got, crazy!!!
The place is boring, no atmosphere poorly decorated, no vibe. The food is super slow coming and really nothing impressive, in fact just edible! The best is the steamed rice & miso soup, so much for nothing. It has been the worst money spent on a meal in my life, I left and wanted to go for a slice of pizza, but couldn't since I left everything that I've ever had in there. Don't even considered it, please

• Visited December 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Toronto (GTA)
“Once-in-a-lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I went here to celebrate a very special occasion with my mom - graduating with my PhD! We had the 9:30pm seating and left around midnight - this dinner is an investment in $ AND time. We were both very full at the end of it. I don't know if I could even begin to do justice to the food by attempting to describe it - many professional food critics already have; we are Japanese but the family has been in Canada for the last 100+ years, so some of the ingredients were unfamiliar to us. Suffice it to say that it was obviously a very labor-intensive meal for those preparing and serving it, and that a lot of thought and care had gone into each serving. We did not enjoy 100% of the food (some of the rare delicacies were, perhaps, an acquired taste), but we really did enjoy the experience.

The servers and the chef were lovely and, importantly (to me, at least), unpretentious (is it cynical of me to brace myself for pretentiousness coming into a setting like this?). They chatted casually throughout the evening about the food, Japan, travel, whatever came up. They carefully and kindly explained how the food was prepared and exactly how it was intended to be eaten. The food preparation and servings were almost choreographed like a dance.

A staff member had called a few days before our reservation to inquire about allergies. My mother described what she believed was an exhaustive list of our food allergies (I believe there are some allergies they cannot guarantee accommodating, like mushrooms, eggs, rice). When the bento box came, we realized that a piece of food was sitting smack in the middle of one of the compartments, to which I am severely allergic. We forgot about it because I NEVER encounter it because it's SO traditionally Japanese - raw mountain yam - but yeah, that was a big oops on our part. We apologized and explained the situation and they whisked the bento box away, washed the compartment, and re-made it without the terrifying mountain yam. They were doing it in the kitchen but I could see what they were doing from where I was sitting; they took this very seriously and wanted me to be able to enjoy as much of the food as I could. Everybody was very understanding and accommodating about the entire situation.

Extra special touch: Our names and a congratulations were printed on our menus, and I got a little gift from the restaurant at the end of the night to take home. Thank you for a wonderful evening!

• Visited August 2013
Miami, Florida
“Sublime, best Japanese meal this side of Tokyo!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

I was put off initially by the total lack of atmosphere or decor but at meal's end it becomes clear that nothing need to detract from chef Kevin's skill and the show of the experience that will rivet your gaze for the evening (sit at the bar!!).

From museum quality serving pieces to the artistry of each piece of sushi, this is 3 hours of foodie heaven. The service is attentive, sincere and unobtrusive. The chef cleans his hands and work surfaces every 5 seconds and that discipline shines through every dish from the combination of flavors (be prepared to be adventurous), textures and presentation.

The bento box was a stunning opening, the sake exquisite, the green tea finish was the best I've had outside of Japan.

The icing on the cake is Kevin and Wendy's warm and sincere role as hosts, you feel as though they've put this show on just for you!!

• Visited September 2013
“Best ever Sushi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

Recently came here on recommendation of my friends for a business meal and must say, BEST SUSHI EVER...will definitely come back soon and can highly recommend it to anybody with a passion for sushi...

• Visited April 2013
New York City, New York
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

I went here for my birthday dinner on July 6 and we were blown away. A good friend got us a last minute reservation and we were so lucky! Best sushi experience in North America. Chef Kevin Cory is amazing (sit at the counter so you can watch him work) and Wendy is a consummate hostess.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Naoe Miami? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Naoe Miami, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.