“Cleaning staff needs training on how to clean a bathroom” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #81 of 129 Hotels in Miami
ATL
“Cleaning staff needs training on how to clean a bathroom”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

The Courtyard is located in a convenient location near Dadeland Mall (for those looking to shop), the metro, US 1, and a highway. It was well situated for my trip since I was covering a large area in Miami with my visits and outings. The hotel had renovations going on for its cafe/bar/restaurant area but it was not a nuisance. They did provide free complimentary continental breakfast so at least something was easily within reach. It was also very close to a supermarket which was also convenient.

One drawback is that self-parking is not easy (no on-site parking). Daily valet costs $11 (or half for Platinum Marriott members).

The rooms are standard Courtyard fare which is decent. Internet worked well and was free.

The room's sleep quality was good with no outside noise coming in (5th floor) and good curtains to block light.

My one issue with this hotel was housekeeping's inability to clean the bathrooms. My first of two nights there, right after checking in I had to shower to go meet some folks and I noticed some long hairs on the floor, on a corner of the sink counter, and on the tub's ledge. I was rushed to leave but called the front desk to have them clean the bathroom fully the next morning (it was new year's eve so no cleaning staff around that night). The next morning, I confirmed with the front desk the request. When I returned later that day, the sink area and tub had been cleaned but the floor was not touched. My question is, if a guest (a Platinum one at that) calls and complains the bathroom is not clean and requests it to be cleaned, wouldn't you expect the cleaning to be extra thorough? Apparently not. This hotel needs to ensure not only that housekeeping staff knows how to properly address a complaint but, more importantly, how to clean bathrooms.

It is a shame as the hotel is well situated and priced; and front desk and valet staff were responsive and friendly. But I will not stay here again with the bathroom's cleaning experience.

Room Tip: Seems all rooms will be quiet enough,
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Where shall I begin? Should it start with the poor WIFI service? The value of the rooms and the price don't match. Service did not get better! The hotel is under construction but they did not have it listed on the website so I could have made a decision to go somewhere else. There is so much more.. but I'll skip to the really good part. I checked my bag so that when I finished working I could pick it up and go to the airport. They provided me with a ticket so that no one else could pick up my bag. Well they gave my bag to a colleague they had no clue I knew... funny thing it was the wrong bag. My colleague did not know which bag so they just gave him one. I did not authorize anyone to pick up my bag so they arrived at the airport with the wrong bag. The only good thing about the hotel is they offer shuttle to the airport which drops you off across the street at a different Marriott property... careful crossing the busy street. Good luck talking to the hotel manager.... Customer Experience POOR! Would I recommend it to a friend NO!

Room Tip: Call Hilton!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I am a frequent business traveler and normally stay at Marriott properties. I knew in advance that the lobby was under renovation, and booked here anyway. The downside was that the motor entrance was blocked with construction trucks, and the breakfast area was modified - they did offer a complimentary continental breakfast. Rooms were updated with standard Courtyard comfort - as expected, which is why I like Courtyards. With the renovation, you had to go directly across the street to the full service Marriott for a work out a pool, but this was nice as the Marriott's workout facility was very nice. Another good thing about this hotel, or the Marriott, it that you can walk to local restaurants and mall, and they provide airport shuttle - I saw lot's of flight crews staying at both properties. I found the location ideal, and will stay here again - looking forward to a completed renovation, and will get an excellent rating at that time.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the Dadeland Ave, but there is not much traffic. Even number rooms are quieter...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Gainesville, FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here at the beginning of August for a business trip, as my usual Hampton Inn around the corner was booked. Housekeeping had not stocked toiletries in room so I had to go downstairs to get shampoo and conditioner (Paul Mitchell - very nice!). Next morning, the dryer in the room did not work. Bathroom nice and big, but very dated. Air conditioner was loud and room humid. I know it is Florida, but the A/C should take care of that! Overall, good location, room nice size, but a/c old and property overall looks dated. Will go elsewhere next time.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Bentonville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We chose this for a one night layover and were pleased. We were with in walking distance to mall and restaurants . It was the furthest we could find from the airport with a free shuttle and within walking distance of some places to go. If we wanted a quick weekend get a way, we would not hesitate to go here.

Room Tip: Get a balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Fairburn, GA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We stayed at this location 7/4 - 7/5, going on a cruise on 7/6. The Dadeland Mall was in walking distance and so were some fast food places (Subway, Burger King). There is also public transportation in the area. The customer service was OK (valet - $11 a day, front desk, housekeeping). The hotel is a little dated, it had a musty odor when you entered the lobby. Our room was clean, the beds were hard, pillows too soft, there was a fridge but no microwave, found the only microwave in the lobby. The water pressure was a little low for toilet and shower, a small area of paint was peeling from the ceiling, the shower curtain didn't go all around the tub and we didn't have enough face clothes. We asked housekeeping about that, they said OK but we never got them. Since we drove, there were some other places not too far from the hotel (Sunset Mall Miami) and a Whole Foods market right across from this mall. We enjoyed the shopping more than the hotel, but we weren't there that long so I'd say it was an OK stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
orlando
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

This area was recommended for my biz trip. This hotel was clean & comfortable and conveniently located to shopping, grocery store, etc. The customer service was great. I felt safe traveling alone at this location. The only option for parking was valet. They were helpful & made my biz travel easy. I'd certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Courtyard Miami Dadeland? Share your experiences!