“Great location - close to MIA” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #80 of 111 Hotels in Miami
Trinidad
“Great location - close to MIA”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

On our first night, we had to wait for the bellman to deliver our keys for the door - while the wait was relatively short, we were tired. most times persons who get to their hotel just want to relax and sleep or shower and head out. The rooms are average.....i would say that it's equivalent to a 3 star hotel, but the location is the best (4.5 stars).

The staff was helpful and courteous. The other thing which was not to my liking was the fact that there were no pool towels available when I wanted. Eventually, they told me to use what was in the room?

One of the best things which came in useful was the scale in the lobby :)

In summary, if you're looking for a place close to Westland Mall and the airport - this is the hotel for you, but a stay of more than 3 nights, in my opinion is way too long.

Room Tip: If you will be staying for longer than 3 days, try to get a room with a microwave or at least a mini...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert E, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Miami-Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
KBTravellers--Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of the Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. I agree that we are located near excellent shopping centers and other attractions. I am sorry that you were delayed getting into your room upon arrival but I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your stay. I have shared you comments about the pool towels with the team and I am sure that we will do better next time.
Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Freeport
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Paid extra for a room with a kitchenette, but was checked into a room with a fold up bed that was NOT properly made and had soiled linen, no kitchenette, a dining table for 4 with soiled chairs and smelly bathroom. This room was obviously NOT a normal guest room!!! The extremely rude attendant REFUSED to move us to the correct room we paid for (which was available since we went online and checked) but he said there were NO room available and if we did not like it we could stay in the lobby till morning when management arrived or check out!!! We asked to speak to someone in management since he said ONLY they could help us but he said at that time of night (11:35 pm) he could not call them. So I said in case of an emergency there MUST be someone he could contact and he said NO!! We asked for a number so we could call and he refused to give us one. So on Aug 30th, my wife's birthday, we stayed in the lobby on 2 chairs till next morning at about 7:30 am!!!!! My wife slept a bit, I stayed awake the whole night.
Also we called for the shuttle on arrival and was told it would come, after waiting 45 mins we took a taxi to the hotel where both shuttles were parked. We told the attendant this and he just mumbled and then said sorry. While checking in someone called for the shuttle and it was sent!!!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!
We were harassed, tired and extremely upset by this whole incident. My wife suffers with asthma and got ill, also her feet got swollen after being down whole night. We came to Miami to get certain things done and because of this we lost valuable time and ended up with less than a day to get things we wanted.
The supervisor did move us to the correct room next day ....... which was empty all night but according to the attendant ALL rooms were occupied!!! We said this was NOT good enough after what we were put through and wanted to speak to the manager. We were told we would speak to her later that day (Saturday) but did not get to talk to her till Sunday for a few minutes as she was about to leave when she called!!! She did apologize and refund us the first night's stay as well as the taxi fare. She also charged less for the next two nights and left a fruit platter and a bottle of wine in the room (no note with it though). But the money and fruit (left the wine) cannot compensate for what we were put through!! Will NEVER stay here again!!!
Please NOTE the ratings below for hotel staff were based on the check in staff ONLY, not on the check out staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

Raffie H- Thank you for posting a review of a recent stay at my hotel. I am sorry that we could not provide you with a clean kitchenette when you arrived and I that you were not able to resolve the matter that night with a manager. However, I am glad that the manager on duty issued a rebate and sent an amenity to your room. You and your wife deserved more from us and we let you down. I have shared your experience with my associates and we will make the required changes.

Safe travels
Vero Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

rude staff very dirty, everyone in the hotel form the staff was rude, unprofessional, they did not gave the rooms that i booked online they gave me rooms that didnt have what i need it, but i still payed same price, reception woman was extremely rude, breakfast staff was terrible, rude, even the person that carries the suitcases was rude, the rooms were disgusting very very dirty, when complained to the morning supervisor she totally ignored us. i will never ever again stay in this hotel, people like that should not work with costumers, they put us in smoking floor knowing that we had babies with us and when confronted with paper in hand saying our booking was in rooms in a NON SMOKING room the reception agent said there was nothing she could do. disgusting.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Miami-Airport? Share your experiences!