You added Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Miami-Airport to your Saves list
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead & Save 15%
Ranked #78 of 115 Hotels in Miami

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Flagler Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We were thrilled to be upgraded to a penthouse floor room for our two night stay, February 2-4, 2013. Our nicely furnished, clean room had a small balcony, king-sized bed, small table and chairs mini-fridge,coffee maker and supplies and free wifi. Safe did not work and we had to call front desk to get it opened, but besides that small problem everything was wonderful. Our rate included a wonderful full breakfast in the attached restaurant. It was delicious and there was a choice oif three different full breakfasts at the restaurant or just a continental breakfast in the lobby! Our stay included the night of the Superbowl - which we watched comfortably on the set in our room, although we could easily have viewed it on the large screen TV in the comfortable, large lobby downstairs. I even used the small gym down on the first floor which is furnished with three machines (treadmill, bike and a stair-stepper.). Just note that you need to contact the front desk first so that they can give you access to the secured gym. We could not have been more pleased with our stay!

Room Tip: Penthouse floor room was great! Quiet, clean, witha comfortable king-size bed. Breakfast in the atta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert E, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Miami-Airport, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
lambs2---Thank you for staying at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel and for sharing your review. I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to the next opportunity to serve you.

I hope that your team won the Super Bowl!

Safe Travels.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The first thing I noticed was it seemed like the deep-fryer in the restaurant vented onto the 8th floor. The smell wasn't so bad in the room. The second thing was that the noise from the adjacent freeway came through the windows like they were wide open. It being Miami, the noise continued all night (a Thursday) until construction noise from the road improvement took over at about 6AM. The noise was louder than the 2AM party in the hallway. Last they got the reservation wrong and overcharged me about ten bucks. They fixed this after I showed them the reservation confirmation. All-in-all I would have preferred to spend an extra $30 elsewhere.
The good points were that the room was clean and the parking was convenient.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel was very dirty. The lobby looked decent, but once I got up to the floor my room was on, it was terrible the second the elevator doors opened. The stains on the carpet were terrible and you could tell nothing had been cleaned for a long time! There was a bag of garbage sitting outside a room down the hall from us, and it was stil there the next day. The restaurant did have decent food, but nothing spectacular. I never agree with gratuity being added to a check, especially for a party of 2 sitting at the bar, but there was a 15% gratuity added. The remote for the tv did not work, had to call downstairs multiple times to get a new one. The room itself had a very musty smell to it. Just seemed damp and hot, never really cooled off.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Albert E, General Manager at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Miami-Airport, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Jenny J- I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations during your stay at Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel. I appreciate the feedback and I value what my guests have to say regarding their experiences. I have shared your comments with the appropriate departments and we will address the items immediately.

Safe travels
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Initially I was excited to make a reservation with Howard Johnson as I have many fond memories of Howard Johnson’s from my childhood as my family travelled the I-95 to Florida. Lesson: avoid nostalgia. Howard Johnson is not the Howard Johnson’s growing up! A week prior to my arrival, I emailed the hotel about shuttle service to the airport. The hotel never replied. The hotel is not even listed amongst hotels at the hotel courtesy desk. As I waited for the shuttle, shuttles from hotels like Sheraton, Holiday Inn Marriot etc had passed by me numerous times. I was told the shuttle arrives hourly, it does not. My flight arrived in Miami at 7:20 and I finally arrived at the hotel three hours later. The shuttle was difficult to identify as the hotel’s name and sign was copied from office paper and taped to the windows. The shuttle was worn and old. The front desk staff were friendly and genuinely concerned. I had requested the manager to call my room in the morning. The manager never called. The hotel like the van is worn and aged. The bed was comfortable and was not disturbed by the noise as earlier guests were. Finally, the hotel calls it an airport hotel, but is a 25 minute drive away. Hmmm.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
ottawafella—Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay at my hotel. I am sorry to learn of your issue with the airport transportation. Since we rented additional vans to accommodate the number of guests this month (that’s why we had temporary signs on the windows), I am embarrassed by your experience. I apologize that neither I, nor a member of my management team called you the next morning. You should have been called and I will look into the matter. I have sent you a private message so that I can determine the date of your stay and how your request for a call was made. I look forward to your response.

Safe travels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Miami
Quality Inn Miami Airport Hotel
Ramada Miami Springs / Miami International Airport
New Yorker Boutique Hotel
Clarion Inn  & Suites Miami Airport
Ramada Hialeah-Miami Airport

Been to Howard Johnson Plaza Hotel Miami-Airport? Share your experiences!