“My favorite hotel in Miami” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Third Night Free!
Ranked #8 of 129 Hotels in Miami
Miami, Florida
“My favorite hotel in Miami”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

Recently I had some work done on my condo that required me to check in to a local hotel. The Four Seasons was running a promotion that had a reasonable rate for two nights and added a complimentary third night. I have stayed at several other nice hotels, including two other Four Seasons, several Ritz properties, a couple of St. Regis properties, and a Peninsula property. This property has become my third favorite hotel in the U.S., and definitely my favorite in Miami. (FYI -- Four Seasons St. Louis ranks first, and the St. Regis San Fran ranks second). The highlights -- service is excellent, rooms are spacious with incredible views of the water (I stayed in a "moderate" room), the food is delicious, and the amenities are top notch. Lowlights -- the Four Seasons professes not to "nickel and dime" its customers but unfortunately I saw some of that at this location -- e.g., you have to pay for wireless (approximately $12 to $15 per night), significant food delivery charges, overpriced minibar (St. Louis charges much less for same items), outrageous parking fees ($34 per night), and pencils instead of pens in the room. I understand that this is a top notch hotel and so you get what you pay for, but some of this (particularly the exorbitant parking fee) is simply unnecessary. With that said, the positive experiences far outweighed the negative ones at this property and I can say without hesitation that this is my favorite hotel in Miami.

Here is a more detailed description of my stay:

ROOM -- spacious for the price (again, I booked a "moderate" room), but not as big as the St. Louis FS property rooms. They just installed beautiful big screen LCD televisions in the rooms, but they don't have any high definition channels yet so the TVs kind of go to waste. Fortunately I brought my PS3 and was able to watch BluRay movies in 1080p quality. I'm told that high def channels will be added in early October. While they're at it they should add an electronic TV guide. The windows in the room are nice and big (though not floor to ceiling) and there's a ledge you can sit on to read, use your laptop, or chill while looking out the window, which is a really nice touch. The problem is that there are three layers of drapes you have to wade through to get to the window and the first layer covers up a significant portion of the window so the room doesn't maximize this feature. The bathroom is very spacious with a stand up shower, really nice tub that has arm rests, large mirror (no TV in them though like the St. Louis property), separate toilet room, and heated marble floor panels. There's a large working desk (which I used a great deal) and you can view the TV while using the desk or position the chair to just as easily look through the window. There is wired and wireless internet available at a charge of approximately $12 to $15 per day (this was a no-no, it needs to be incorporated into the room rate or something). There's also a very comfortable lounge chair with foot stool. The AC in my room blew out very cold air all the time, but this was promptly fixed when I brought it to management's attention. The bed is your typically incredible Four Seasons bed with linens that are made of an angel's wings, pillows that are filled with feathers of the finest geese in the world, and a mattress stuffed with clouds. One day I'm gonna buy one for my house.
SERVICE -- the service is great. Employees go out of their way to be friendly and anticipate your needs. For example, the bar by the pool makes a great raspberry lemonade drink. This wasn't on the room service menu but room service went out of their way to make a whole pitcher for me so I had it in my room throughout my stay. Special appreciation goes out to Mario (the front office manager) who went out of his way before I arrived to make sure I would enjoy my stay and followed up with me afterwards. Also Mario in room service (not the same guy) was very courteous, friendly, conversational, and was always smiling. These two employees epitomize what the FS stands for --treat others like you would like to be treated.
FOOD -- one word: delicious! Try the baked sea bass and the chive mashed potatoes. I had this meal every single evening while I was there it was so good. For lunch, the wagyu burger and bolognese were excellent. Only down side is that it's expensive. A two course meal without alcohol costs approximately $90 when you include tip and the service/delivery charges. I did not try Acqua (the on site restaurant) during this stay but I have in the past and can assure you it is not as good as the in room dining.
POOL -- the pool is really nice and the attendants there make sure your every whim is catered to with a smile. Nancy and Zola were terrific. Always there to refill my drinks or give me free samples of fruit and smoothies. If you don't fancy the raspberry lemonade (which is not on the menu) then ask for the Banana Bahia (like a banana shake with cinnamon and vanilla).
SPA -- The spa is way overpriced but the treatments are pretty good. The spa at the St. Louis property is far better at half the price.
GYM -- the gym is a Sports Club LA. I am a member since I live in Miami, so I was familiar with it. It is well equipped and the personal trainers are popular (if you're thinking of purchasing a session ask for Alan, who has been there the longest and is the most popular). Some of the treadmills are old, but they all have their own personal television screens (even if the reception is unpredictable). Busy time is between 7 and 8:30 a.m., and between 6 and 8 p.m. You do NOT want to visit the gym during those hours of the week.
PARKING -- this is where this property receives its lowest marks. The attendants and bellhops are wonderful, but the pricing is outrageous. $34 per night is simply too high even for Miami's standards, and especially for Brickell's standards. I paid $100 to park my car for three nights. This was a joke. They need to change this -- lower the rate to $15 or $20 per night max or at least give guests a decent option to self-park (the current option is $30 per night so you may as well use valet).
MISCELLANEOUS -- if you're a tennis fan/player, this is the hotel for you. They have a great relationship with the Brickell Tennis Club, which is the premier tennis facility in downtown Miami. The pros there are excellent and the clinics are a lot of fun.

In sum, I had a really great stay at this property. I'm going to return for a "staycation" at some point in the near future, without a doubt. It was a great way to unwind while being pampered for the weekend.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Polish first
london U.K
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2009

When we first arrived we were given a suite with a king size bed which is NOT what we booked 6 months before! We had booked a room with twin beds as we ALWAYS do but they had double booked our room so we were not impressed, as my husband and I do not sleep well in the same bed unfortunatly as he moves about a lot and gets very hot! So he sent the first night on a pull out sofa bed?! Not a good start. Anyway we ended up getting that night complimentry (so we should as thats not what we booked) then we moved to another very nice deluxe twin room with a great view! Room was a good size too! Only disappointment was the very old tv set, very bad picture quality when I ordered a pay per view film! I mean even 3 star hotels have new plasmas/HD tvs these days! Other than that it was a very nice stay, the restaurant was average though. The concierge was great he even managed to get us into The Liv club Erick Morilo end of music conference party ;-)! And the pool was perfect!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Kobe, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

I stayed here with a friend after 5 days in a dump on South Beach so the last 4 nights of our vacation were like an awesome dream! It's really, really far from the beach but if you can afford to stay here then you can afford to take a taxi to the beach or clubs during the day or evening. The pool was clean and quiet and relaxing. The service at the pool was great. The concierge staff was amazing. They helped me find Japanese-speaking tours for my friend. That took a lot of calling on their part but they found us something. We booked a 3-hour private jet-ski tour and it was well-worth the price. It was a drastic change from the National Hotel on South Beach and the best choice we made.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with friends
Waupaca, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

I love four seasons and routinely stay at them on vacations. This was my first time in Miami. I thought it was a beautiful hotel and had a tropical feel yet it was right in the middle of the city. The rooms are great. View of Biscayne Bay was excellent. Pool was on the 7th floor, very large and a nice breeze. Service was very variable. One day it was the usual 4S excellent attention and another day none at all. 4 hours without a refill of water, drink/munchie menu was not supplied yet the resturnat at the pool was open. Gym is well equipped. As in other in other reviews, it's owned by another company. No a big deal with the gym but the spa experence is not like the usual 4S attention to detail--yet they charge the 4S prices. There are great places to eat nearby including breakfast spots and a liquor store 2 blocks away. I'd stay here again but the few holes in the service delivery meant I could not honestly give it 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2009

I stayed there in early May 09. I took advantage of low airfares and flew from Los Angeles non-stop for only $280 on American. Chose the Four Seasons because I had never been to Miami and didn't know the city very well, and didn't want to stay in a bad part of town. FS are never in a bad part of town, and the hotel didn't disappoint. Very nicely done, usual great amenities, and I'll give it five out of five for everything, especially the very friendly staff. The concierges gave good directions for tourist stuff, and the hotel itself is located overlooking Biscayne Bay. On arrival, I was upgraded without asking to a bayside room, with a great view from the 27th floor.

The only thing is, as one reviewer commented, it is downtown, and is probably more useful for business travelers. After dark, the downtown area, like that in Los Angeles, shuts down. And it is amidst other skyscrapers, so the setting is no different than any other metropolitan city. No real beaches are nearby, the waterfront is all commercial/residential with no sand. That being said, I'm not complaining, because I did not do sufficient research, so that setting and location are all on me. The hotel is excellent, but if you're a tourist, stay on Miami Beach, plenty of great hotels, restaurants, clubs, and beautiful beaches. Next time, that's where I'll be!

The only odd thing, in all the other Four Seasons I've visited (Scottsdale, Las Vegas, North San Diego, San Francisco), there were coffeemakers in the room. None here. Oh, and if in Miami, check out Little Havana. What a great little community, friendly, great Cuban coffee, great food, great cigars!

Happy travels, all.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2009

Just returned from the Four Seasons Miami from a weekend in Miami and it was pleasant experience . The hotel is very impressive and the staff were helpful when needed. The restaurant Aqua in the hotel is good food , ok service but nothing really impessed too much , it was ok . In the area there is nightlife outside althgouh not much . South beach is abour 15 minutes away from here. It was a very nice hotel , in a tall building in miami's fniancial district .

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
New Hope, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

We recently found ourselves at the Miami Four Seasons for the second time in three months, and it still just isn’t one of our favorite FS properties. I felt this after the first time, and this second visit reinforced my thought that it just doesn’t feel like what I would consider a typical Four Seasons Hotel.

The staff is all as I would expect, helpful and attentive, the rooms are the high standard I have come to expect from a Four Seasons, the restaurant is nice… but the location and the physical building just leave me cold. You could be staying in an anonymous office tower anywhere in the world rather than in a Four Seasons. The room views of Biscayne Bay are pleasant although through minimally operable, curtain wall windows. The pool is on the seventh floor and is fine and the staff helpful, but is surrounded by high rise office and residential towers and feels clinical and disconnected from any specific location. If it weren’t for the paving-bound palm trees reminding you it is somewhere tropical, it could be truly anywhere. The gym is well equipped but since it is not directly connected to the hotel it seems nameless and you are usually outnumbered by membership business people from the surrounding offices.

What we most appreciate and have come to expect in Four Seasons hotels is the feel of unique familiarity of the FS stay. That experience is less than memorable in this property as hard as the staff try to make it otherwise. We left after both visits feeling we had a nice “hotel stay” rather than the usual unforgettable Four Seasons experience. Too bad.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Miami? Share your experiences!