“Not what it used to be” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #210 of 292 things to do in Miami
Orlando
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Not what it used to be”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2005

I live in Orlando, but visit South Beach about once a year. More often then not we spend our Saturday nights at the Crobar, then after hours at Space and we always had a great experience at both places. This last time however, was different. Space still lives up to its reputation, but Crobar has lost its edge. On our particular Saturday night the DJ was playing music from the 80's that was mixed into techno. It was cheesy and I swear it must have been someone's high school reunion, because the crowd was old and touristy. Not that being old is a bad thing, or being a tourist is necessarily a bad thing, but the two combined is not what I drive 4 hours for.
Then at around midnight, three actors (mimes) dressed in lime green leotards came out did a really disturbing performance. The friends I was with called them the green condom people because they wore green reservoir tips on their heads. The few people who were dancing on the dance floor stopped dancing during the show. So for about a half hour it was Bizarro World. We were getting a little agitated at this point because we had paid a lot of money to get in the club and to secure a VIP table and we were not enjoying ourselves.
When the green condom people finally left the cheesy 80's music resumed. So we left and went to Opium. This might have been a fluke night, so you might still want to try it for yourself, but there are too many other bars to try for me to ever go back to this dive.
More comments: The place was warm, I think the AC wasn't working properly. The air stank, smoke from cigarettes and numerous smoke machines made me feel like I was in an Alcoholics Anonymous convention (no offense to alcoholics). Numerous couches and lounge chairs had big gapping rips in them. Heck, with the money people spend in this dive I would think they could afford to reupholster.
Just an opinion....

A TripAdvisor Member
“Spring break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2005

I just left south beach just this tuesday and boy did i have fun. The club to hit while down there have to be crobar. Admission for ladies was $30, $50 for men and vip $100 but i say it was well worth it. They have nice inexpensive marguritas at fat tuesday. When you go to florida you have to hit south beach miami.

Rancho Cucamonga
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“It was alright for a Thursday night.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2004

The DJ on the main dance floor kept on playing the same type of music which got really boring really fast. There was some type of DJ battle going on upstairs but the music wasn't much better. It is a cool club but they just need better music on Thursday nights...and we did appreciate the promo people who were there giving out free drinks! :)